PDA

View Full Version : Karma

Vendarien
2013-08-06, 04:07 PM
I have a player who rely wants to worship a god that teaches something close to karma. Dose anyone have any idea of a god that may fit this?

Prime32
2013-08-06, 04:21 PM
Karma generally works best as a fact of the setting rather than something associated with a single member of a pantheon. What setting is this for anyway?

Yora
2013-08-06, 04:32 PM
Maybe a deity that emphasises that you have to be conscious of the longterm effects of your actions. Though there aren't really any gods in any of the settings I know that particularly stress that point.

Probably a deity focusing on duty would be closest.

nyjastul69
2013-08-06, 04:52 PM
Action points from Eberron or Unearthed Arcana might work. The luck rules from Complete Scoundrel might suit your needs as well.

Yora
2013-08-06, 04:54 PM
Yeah? I don't think so. Aren't those mechanics specifically about not having to deal with the consequences of your choices and actions?

The Viscount
2013-08-06, 06:03 PM
A few gods might work if you twist them a little bit. St. Cuthbert stresses retribution, usually for law-breaking, but I could easily see that altered. Cas stresses vengeance, and even has titles such as "He Who Balances the Scales" but since he's NE and also focuses on spite, it might be somewhat harder to alter him to fit fluff-wise.

Segev
2013-08-06, 06:07 PM
This sounds like a Wee Jas thing, to me. She's the goddess of death, but she's LN, and she's all about natural cycle and respect for the rightful order of life and death. Working "karma" in as reward/penalty for a life well lived/squandered and the rewards/penalties of death, as well as taking your lumps in terms of accepting death as a consequence, would probably be pretty easy.

nyjastul69
2013-08-06, 06:11 PM
Yeah? I don't think so. Aren't those mechanics specifically about not having to deal with the consequences of your choices and actions?

I guess not dealing with consequences is one way to look at. Another way though is building up good karma to help good things happen. Either way anything like karma in a RPG is probably going to have to be broken down in some sort of mechanical way. A point system is a common method for rpg's to represent that sort of thing.