Level: Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 5

Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: One disk of force
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You tap energy to create a size fine floating disk from which you can project spells as described below. The disk is readily visible and intangible.

The disk appears at least 3 feet from the nearest surface and remains vertical at all times. The disk normally remains in place, but can be directed to move up to 30 feet as a move action, or to touch an adjacent or closer target as part of casting a touch range spell. The disk winks out of existence when the spell duration expires. The disk also winks out if you move beyond range.

If you desire, any spell you cast whose range is touch or greater can originate from the disk instead of from you. The disk can’t cast any spells on itself. The spells affect other targets normally, despite originating from the disk.

When used to project a touch spell, the disk’s attack bonus is equal to half your caster. As a force effect, it can touch ethereal and incorporeal creatures.

The disk can strike in any your direction. It does not get a bonus for flanking or help a combatant get one. If the disk goes beyond the spell range from you, if it goes out of your sight, or if you are not directing it, the disk remains in place.

The disk moves or attacks only as directed, as indicated above.

The disk takes damage as a normal creature, but most magical effects that don’t cause damage do not affect it. Effects such as dispel magic, disintegrate, a sphere of annihilation, or a rod of cancellation do affect it. The disk’s AC is 18 (10, +8 size bonus for Fine object), and it has hit points equal to the caster level.

You must maintain line of effect to the disk at all times. If your line of effect is obstructed, the spell ends. If you use dimension door, teleport, plane shift, or a similar spell that breaks your line of effect, even momentarily, the spell ends.

Material Component: A disk, which costs 5 gp to create.

(With thanks to Deepbluediver for the idea)

Change Log

8/9/2013 Increased Level (Thank you, Silva Stormrage, TKXapathy)
8/9/2013 Made disk vulnerable to hit point damage (Thank you, TKXapathy)

Silva Stormrage
2013-08-07, 01:58 PM
So this is essentially a really really low cost project image that doesn't look like you? I don't think thats exactly balanced for a 3rd level spell, I imagine a villain using this spell effectively and being pretty much invincible as he summons fiery death upon all of the pc's. I think you should boost the level to 5-6

vinihigino
2013-08-07, 02:53 PM
Not sure about the mechanics, but I liked the effect. Imagine the arcane duels with a high version of this spell that provide more than 1 disk. The enemy trying to keep all disks on sight and a lightning bolt comes from one he wasn't looking. Could even give a penalty in reflex saves. Didn't liked the disk deliverying touch spells, though.

- edit -

Also, I think it should be conjuration instead. It's kind of a spell teleport

TKXapathy
2013-08-07, 05:03 PM
I love the flavor, but have a few problems with it.

As Silva has stated, the spell level is too low for something with such a powerful effect. IMO, it should at least be a 4th level spell.

I really dislike how it can't be damaged by physical attacks. Spellcasters really do not need another leg up on mundane classes, especially in such a way that allows them to be essentially invincible whilst holding off an entire party of PCs.

Lastly, if you're keeping with the idea of a disc, I think that allowing it to make touch attacks does feel kind of awkward.

eggynack
2013-08-07, 05:26 PM
As has been mentioned, this is a lot like project image to be four spell levels lower. I can't actually see too many differences. Maybe the spell should act more like stationary portals. Like in Portal, you'd stick the two portals within the spell's range, one nearby, and one at a distance. Then, you can project spells through the nearby hole, and they'll attack the enemy through the distant hole. I dunno how I'd format it, but you'd make it so that the nearby hole is the only one that can be the input, and your spells are the only ones that can go through it. You'd basically get line of effect through the hole, and if you stick the output one on the ground, you'd maybe be able to use touch spells on enemies that are standing on the portal's square. Anyway, I don't have the details, but that seems like a spell that's closer in power level to your desired spell level, and isn't redundant due to project image.

ideasmith
2013-08-09, 09:25 AM
So this is essentially a really really low cost project image that doesn't look like you? I don't think thats exactly balanced for a 3rd level spell, I imagine a villain using this spell effectively and being pretty much invincible as he summons fiery death upon all of the pc's. I think you should boost the level to 5-6

It also lacks the “see through its eyes and hear through its ears”, but I agree that the level should be boosted.

Not sure about the mechanics, but I liked the effect. Imagine the arcane duels with a high version of this spell that provide more than 1 disk. The enemy trying to keep all disks on sight and a lightning bolt comes from one he wasn't looking. Could even give a penalty in reflex saves. Didn't liked the disk deliverying touch spells, though.

- edit -

Also, I think it should be conjuration instead. It's kind of a spell teleport

Conjuration spells – with great consistency – affects creatures and/or objects rather than spells and/or energy.

Cool idea.

I love the flavor, but have a few problems with it.

As Silva has stated, the spell level is too low for something with such a powerful effect. IMO, it should at least be a 4th level spell.

I have increased the level.

I really dislike how it can't be damaged by physical attacks. Spellcasters really do not need another leg up on mundane classes, especially in such a way that allows them to be essentially invincible whilst holding off an entire party of PCs.

The disk now has hit points.

Lastly, if you're keeping with the idea of a disc, I think that allowing it to make touch attacks does feel kind of awkward.

That’s pretty subjective, and the touch attacks seem appropriate to me.