PDA

View Full Version : Need to get use to running combat as a DM , help please.

CyberThread
2013-08-06, 10:39 PM
So I have no real options local right now to play D&D, and I am thinking of starting a play by post 3.5 bit, and am sort of really lacking on combat readiness as a Dm and player, as am use to playing social d&d games.

I would like to Dm a basic game, for around level 3 or so, where the players have to protect a train of wagons traveling through the jungle, which will be a few combat situations that are defensive.

For 5 level 3 characters, and a DM wanting to practice combat, what sort of creatures do you advise and force myself to learn the system better.

SolioFebalas
2013-08-07, 01:01 AM
http://monsterfinder.dndrunde.de/results.php?id=1492387135&skip=0

Herabec
2013-08-07, 01:15 AM
Jungle goblins, some refluffed gnolls, orcs, wild elves, jungle kobolds, panthers...

Really, with some refluffing, you can use just about anything of appropriate CR.

Or anything above CR too, to put the fear of DM into them and teach them the merits of leaving the NPCs to die so they might dungeoncrawl another day.

CRtwenty
2013-08-07, 01:19 AM
Start out with basic Humanoids like Goblins, Gnolls, Orcs, etc. They don't have any real special abilities of note, and advance in classes just like PCs do so you won't have to worry about advancing HD and stuff to make them tougher. Just toss a few levels on um.

Mix it up with a few basic monsters that have easy to understand "Gimmicks" like Displacer Beasts (constant Blur effect) or monsters with special movement abilities like Fly, Burrow, or Swim speeds. This'll teach you the basics of how movement, terrain, and the almighty Attack of Opportunity works.

Once you get used to this you can start adding creatures with spells.