PDA

View Full Version : Vampire knockout bonus?

coineineagh
2013-08-06, 11:26 PM
Durkon just made 2 people unconscious in the same strip(sorta), by different methods. Probably a coincidence, since neither involve an unarmed attack from a vampire. But I'm just wondering if the vampire template has some kind of ability that gives a boost to the rules involving this. At first I thought it would require knocking someone exactly into the negative HP range without killing at -10HP, but then I remembered Belkar did this to Haley's rival whatsername, and she was still awake for the duration.

So, making someone unconscious, whether through melee or spell, must have different prerequisites. I'm no rules expert, so if someone could make this understandable to my ears, I'd be very grateful.

Red.Tide
2013-08-06, 11:38 PM
Vampire template gives a +6 boost to Strength, which made Durkon do 3 more points of damage to Z than he otherwise would have. Being a vampire doesn't make Inflict Moderate Wounds do more damage than it otherwise would have. Also, Inflict Moderate Wounds just deals hitpoint damage, so it would make someone unconscious for the same reason as a weapon attack. In both cases, the characters were already heavily injured, so that's why they were knocked unconscious.

If you reduce someone to exactly 0 HP, they will be conscious but not able to do much; if they do anything but take a single move action, they will fall unconscious (I think Crystal not being able to move was a slight variation on the actual D&D rules).

If you reduce someone to negative HP, they will be unconscious and dying until they stabilize or are healed.

Does that clear it up?

coineineagh
2013-08-07, 12:35 AM
Yes, thanks!