PDA

View Full Version : Boomarangs and Kangaroos

aceofnapalms
2013-08-07, 03:01 AM
I was considering ideas for a new character for a current campaign, and had an epiphany of sorts.
I'm going to make a character who uses boomerangs as his primary weapons and has a kangaroo familiar. I've already cleared this with the DM. I'll probably be starting at level 5-6 He will be called Bungalow Billy. (Not sure what to name the Kangaroo yet. Perhaps Joey, Kangaroo Jack, or Capetian Kangaroo?)

Anyways, I was thinking of going with a ranger, seeing as they get the familiar and ranged fighting style, but I haven't had an abundance of time to develop this idea. I'm going for funny, but he's going to have to be useful, because it's a 4 person party. Problem is that the Boomerang stats from the Complete Warrior suck! (1d4 nonlethal, 20' range). On top of that, I haven't seen any stats from any books describing a kangaroo.

I'm just looking for ideas as of now. How would you circumvent the problems so far?

Ashtagon
2013-08-07, 03:18 AM
Kangaroo stats: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary3/marsupial.html

Boomerang: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateEquipment/armsAndArmor/weapons.html

Personally, I'd say those stats are more reflective of the smaller species of kangaroo on Earth. Realistic larger species should be 2-3 HD. I also suggest you name your kangaroo Mathilda, and max out Perform (dance).

Pathfinder's boomerang deals lethal damage, but is otherwise unchanged from CW.

Someone did some homebrew boomerangs here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169340

aceofnapalms
2013-08-07, 03:35 AM
Ya, I agree with you. A 200lb, 7' tall kangaroo probably has more than 6hp

I'll have to design a suitable boomerang with the DM for the purposes of our campaign. Maybe have it made out of mithral, or have blades on it (of course that might be dangerous if it can return).

I'm hoping at some point I can get ahold of a magic item that allows me to shrink, so I can ride in the kangaroos pouch.

Ashtagon
2013-08-07, 03:39 AM
If you want a bladed boomerang, see if you can persuade your GM to allow you a refluffed chakram.

Alleran
2013-08-07, 03:44 AM
I'm hoping at some point I can get ahold of a magic item that allows me to shrink, so I can ride in the kangaroos pouch.
Everybody knows that's how you're supposed to ride them.

If you play as a Small race and couple that with Reduce Person or similar, it'd probably be easier.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-08-07, 03:58 AM
Eberron has the Talenta Boomerang that does lethal damage and has a 30ft range increment. Since they return to the thrower you only need one for every attack you have.
Races of Eberron has Boomerang Daze and Boomerang Ricochet.

You need a good source of bonus damage since they only do d4 damage on a medium character and Boomerang Daze has a save that depends on damage done.

Druid with Zen Archery could work with this. Since boomerangs are wooden weapons you can use Brambles/Spikes to boost your damage and get magic weapons. Combine it with a lesser Rod of Chain Spell to buff all your weapons at once. It's very feat starved though it gets full AC and druid casting.

Another option would be a martial character with wild cohort, going into Master Thrower.