PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 reverse engineer a build

Prax4788
2013-08-07, 03:35 AM
i need help remembering a build i once played i believe it was an artificer. the whole idea revolved around a strong robotic minion (possibly the artificers homunculi) and transferring myself in to it

this may have be done by use of magic jar and or a lich phylactery

any information would be very helpful

Sheogoroth
2013-08-07, 01:06 PM
OH!

I've actually spent a ton of time trying to figure out how to do this and I've come to a few conclusions on methodology.

My personal favorite is in the Alderac Entertainment Group Sourcebook for Magic. There is a feat, I can't remember what it's called. You need to find this book that is called 'spirit made magic' or something. It allows you to kill somebody and bind their soul to a magic item or construct, making it intelligent, reducing the creation cost, and making it all around better.
[I don't have the book on me right now, I'm not sure if it's still in print but I think you can find it on Scribd. When I can, I'll post an update if you're interested.]

What this does in theory, is allow you to seal your soul inside of a construct.

Now, I had the notion that taking Effigy Master, building an effigy of oneself and then sealing one's soul inside of it(a difficult task no doubt) would effectively make one immortal.
OR you could slap it inside a beefy construct and just look machiney.

Now this has several benefits over Magic Jar- because you are not posessing the construct but actually built into it, you cannot be forced out of it unless it is destroyed, in which you are also destroyed. You can also be built into a magic item, in which you have an ego score. And since it follows the RAW for constructing intelligent magic items, you can give yourself at-wills and SLAs for more money.

So SLAs and no limbs or construct body.
As you would, for all intents and purposes, be an awakened construct, the gaining of levels is more or less up to the discretion of your DM- but I see no reason why you couldn't.

I don't have a build per-se, well actually I do. But it involves Pathfinder for the race. A (3.5)Primordial-(PF)Half Giant for 0 LA race/template. Then just stay as an artificer and buff your craft and int. until you're good and ready.

nedz
2013-08-07, 02:38 PM
You could have done this with a Fiend of Possession (FF); though since this requires the Outsider(Evil) type it's a little tricky to pull off.

Still, I expect that you did it some other way.

Telonius
2013-08-07, 04:55 PM
It's probably a combination of Trap the Soul and Magic Jar (Trap the Soul to make the gem your body, Magic Jar so that you can move from the gem to possess your minion). Please note that I'm doubtful that method would actually work RAW... Trap the Soul seems like it would prevent your soul from leaving the gem to possess anything else.

Prax4788
2013-08-09, 03:40 AM
lot of good information the method i have looked at the most is the effigy than use magic jar. only two problems i can see is its not permanent so i would need to be able to come out and this set up can be way to overpowered so i need to pace myself so as not ruin the game