PDA

View Full Version : Specific Damage question

GutterFace
2013-08-07, 06:57 AM
A party we have has a Scout, with Knowledge Devotion (nature is maxed).

NOW he also is taking a sling, with the Acid Bullets (arms and equip.)
they do 1d4 normal bullet damage and 1d4 acid damage for a -2 to hit

So to make sure we are clear; then the Scout moves 10' he gets his Skirmish damage, and lets say he scored a 15 with his Knowledge Devotion Nature for a +1

would his KoD damage apply to both the normal bullet damage as well as the Acid? or just the bullet damage? does skirmish apply to both the bullet damage and the acid damage?

thanks everyone!

Yuki Akuma
2013-08-07, 06:59 AM
Bonus damage only applies once per attack.

A better way to think of it is that it's a single attack that deals 2d4 damage. So you get 2d4 + Skirmish damage + Knowledge Devotion damage.

Just remember to pick which d4 is the acid damage, in case it's relevant.

GutterFace
2013-08-07, 07:10 AM
ah ok that make's sense. thank you for helping.

Slipperychicken
2013-08-07, 07:12 AM
would his KoD damage apply to both the normal bullet damage as well as the Acid? or just the bullet damage? does skirmish apply to both the bullet damage and the acid damage?

They aren't separate. It's one damage roll, so the bonus applies only once.

1d4 (bullet damage type) + 1d4 (acid) +Xd6 (skirmish) +1 (know. devotion)

Khedrac
2013-08-07, 07:33 AM
Fairly important - the acid damage is a bonus so the skirmish and knowledge devotion damage are bludgeoning damage as the base 1d4.
This is important if he hits a creature with either acid resistance (when only the 1d4 acid damage is reduced) or DR (when the 1d4 acid damage is not reduced and could be the only damage to get through).

Norin
2013-08-07, 07:59 AM
Can i hop in and hijack this thread a bit?

Say if i sneak attack using a whip on a commoner with no armour i would deal 1d3 (whip) + xd6 (sa) damage. All of this would be considered nonelethal damage as according to this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040217a).

A weapon that normally deals none lethal damage, such as a sap, can be used in a sneak attack; however, you deal nonlethal damage if you do so.

Now what happens in the following two scenarios?

1: The commoner i attacked is wearing armour.

It deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher.
The whip itself would not deal any damage, but it's still an attack roll and if the conditions allowing a SA is met, will the SA deal damage equal to 0d3 (whip) + xd6 (SA)? What type of damage would the result be if this option works? None lethal slashing, as if from the whip?

Or would the attack fail utterly?

2: Same as #1 but this whip is a magical flaming whip. Would it then deal 0d3 (whip) + xd6 (SA) + 1d6 (fire)? And since the whip is not dealing damage here, would the SA damage be fire damage?

I think i know the answers already, but i just wanted to ask.

(Maybe this would be more fitting for the RAW Q/A though, but humor me please.) :smallsmile:

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-07, 08:08 AM
RAW, you deal no damage in ether case.

You cannot deal damage with a whip if the target has enough armor. This is solid RAW.