PDA

View Full Version : Custom prestige class help?

ramrod
2013-08-07, 07:48 AM
Hi :)

I can't seem to find any prestige classes that appeal, my DM has cleared a homebrew prestige class based around my deity.

I am currently a war/strength cleric and looking for something along those lines. It doesn't need to be über powered, but better than just taking level 6 cleric.

Any suggestions as to how to go about it or anything that would be a reasonable comparison/start point?

ramrod
2013-08-07, 09:06 AM
Settled on medium bab but maintain spell levels, its really just abilities that I need to look at and mesh.

cerin616
2013-08-07, 11:45 AM
What kind of role are you trying to fill? saying you are "war and str" domain makes me think primary melee.

DMVerdandi
2013-08-07, 12:15 PM

I can't seem to find any prestige classes that appeal, my DM has cleared a homebrew prestige class based around my deity.

I am currently a war/strength cleric and looking for something along those lines. It doesn't need to be über powered, but better than just taking level 6 cleric.

Any suggestions as to how to go about it or anything that would be a reasonable comparison/start point?

I think you must ask yourself, what is better than taking more cleric levels? What could I possibly be doing to get better?

I think naturally the answer IS continued progression of spells, and full BAB with extra skills or proficiency in arms. ESPECIALLY with a war and strength cleric. There really isn't much more that one could get from that. Maybe maneuvers like RKV, or something else.

I think the key to solving this problem is finding a combat role, and having that combat role expanded on WITH spell progression. Let's say you require the war domain as the prerequisite.
You could have a:
Holy Archer

Hand of god(A better sacred fist)

Sacred blade (Creates a divine weapon from aura. soulknife with divine prog.)

Church grappler:smallcool: (Nacho Libre)

Soldier of the divine (Fighter feats+ Divine progression)

Heaven-sent Killer (Enough with these petty catholic-esque imitations. This is a worshiper of Mars, Tyr, of Asura. No shining light, no brightness, no "goodness" just a blood stained sunset to worship the highest murderer of all, and a pile of meat and bones to feed it.

Grants rage and lets you cast in it, spontaneous war spells, Gives you Turn Living , proficiency with all weapons. D12, Loose ability to cast in armor and spontaneously cure.)

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-07, 12:32 PM
How about 5 levels long.

Class features as follows

3/4th bab, Good fort and Will saves, 2+int skill points per level.

+1 level of divine spellcasting each level

Class features

1 - Divine Aptitude - Gain proficiency in all martial weapons and one form of exotic shield or with towershields.

2 - Divine Vigor - When you prepare spells each morning, you gain your caster level in temporary HP

3 - Divine strength - Gain your class level as a sacred bonus on all strength checks

4 - Divine Surge - You may cause a surge of power aiding your allies. All allies within 30ft of you gain a +1 moral bonus to all attributes, 5 temp HP, and +5ft moral bonus to all modes of movement. These bonuses last for your class level + cha modifier rounds. Using this ability is a swift action and expends one use of turn undead, or, if you don't have turn undead, once per day.

5 - Weapon of the Gods - When wielding the favored weapon of your god, it is treated as if it had the holy weapon enhancement. You gain weapon specialization and greater weapon focus with your deity's favored weapon.

cerin616
2013-08-07, 12:41 PM
How about 5 levels long.

Class features as follows

3/4th bab, Good fort and Will saves, 2+int skill points per level.

+1 level of divine spellcasting each level

Class features

1 - Divine Aptitude - Gain proficiency in all martial weapons and one form of exotic shield or with towershields.

2 - Divine Vigor - When you prepare spells each morning, you gain your caster level in temporary HP

3 - Divine strength - Gain your class level as a sacred bonus on all strength checks

4 - Divine Surge - You may cause a surge of power aiding your allies. All allies within 30ft of you gain a +1 moral bonus to all attributes, 5 temp HP, and +5ft moral bonus to all modes of movement. These bonuses last for your class level + cha modifier rounds. Using this ability is a swift action and expends one use of turn undead, or, if you don't have turn undead, once per day.

5 - Weapon of the Gods - When wielding the favored weapon of your god, it is treated as if it had the holy weapon enhancement. You gain weapon specialization and greater weapon focus with your deity's favored weapon.
Class level on strength checks is pretty powerful. I would make it the same as the divine strength feat, possibly with wisdom instead of cha

ramrod
2013-08-07, 12:56 PM
Some good suggestions so far, basically I need to collect up some ideas and show them to DM, I thi he will be the final decider...

I'm not primary melee, melee is taking more of a back burner as we progress in levels, I usually hang back, blast off a load of spells and then charge in. If it is a minor encounter then ill just wade in, but my DM seems hellbent on throwing on things at us at the moment , last night was an invisible undead owl bear that tore shreds out of the half Orc barbarian stupid enough to fall for an illusionary trader in distress lol

underlaud
2013-08-07, 01:22 PM

Have you checked out Complete Champion? There are a few cleric based PrC there that would work for a war/strengh cleric (Ordained Champion and there is another one that deals with Paragons.)

If those don't work then what are thinking you want the PrC to do?

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-07, 01:33 PM
Have you checked out Bone Knight from Five Nations?

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-07, 01:39 PM
Note, it's class level, not character level. It starts at 3 and caps out at 5. It is nice, but not overpowering, especially on a 3/4th bab chassis.

cerin616
2013-08-07, 01:41 PM
Note, it's class level, not character level. It starts at 3 and caps out at 5. It is nice, but not overpowering, especially on a 3/4th bab chassis.

ah, yea, fair enough. thats pretty solid. Otherwise i would say "DUNGEONCRASHER?!?!?!?!"

ramrod
2013-08-07, 04:13 PM
Ok iv settled on a modified version of the ordained champion. Swapping full bab for spell levels.

However, I don't like the spontaneous casting of war domain ability, smite or the holy warrior ability so I'm looking for suggestions. I'd rather keep the abilities in a similar vein but more dwarfy....

What could replace spontaneous war domain?

What could replace smite? (I have a negative cha modifier!)

What could replace holy warrior (being abile to use wis modifier instead of str by using turn attempts).

I think my DM would like to see something that benefits the whole group and or has a lot of dwarfen fluff!

cerin616
2013-08-07, 04:15 PM
Ok iv settled on a modified version of the ordained champion. Swapping full bab for spell levels.

However, I don't like the spontaneous casting of war domain ability, smite or the holy warrior ability so I'm looking for suggestions. I'd rather keep the abilities in a similar vein but more dwarfy....

What could replace holy warrior (being abile to use wis modifier instead of str by using turn attempts).

I think my DM would like to see something that benefits the whole group and or has a lot of dwarfen fluff!

change smite to wis. There is actually a feat that does that.

there is also the prestige paladin class, and then the serenity feat. take prestige pally, drop the BAB to 3/4, give full spell progression. take the serentiy feat to switch paladin abilities to wisdowm and now you have wis to saves, and wisdom based smite evil, and wisdom based turn undead

or replace spontaneous war domain with divine grace
Trade "holy warrior": with the feat "divine might" or use the other post in here version of divine might

underlaud
2013-08-07, 04:21 PM

There is a reserve feat in Complete champion that gives you + to melee damage = to the highest level war spell you can cast. Spontaneous casting of war spells means you have the bonus always on at your highest spell level.

If you wanted to remove the feature entirely I would say replace it with a bonus divine feat.

ramrod
2013-08-08, 05:27 AM
Ok so this is what I settled on...

Essentially just and ordained champion, but I swapped bab for spell levels. Charisma dependant abilities have been switched to wisdom dependent and then the spontaneous casting ability I switched for Holy Warrior.

As much as I want to be able to turn all of my 4th level spells into flamestrikes and then cast them as swift actions (sounds awesome) I need spontaneous healing for the party.

So here it is!

Medium bab progression
Full divine spellcaster level

Level 1 bonus domain (as ordained champ)
Combat feats able to sacrifice for fighter feats

Level 2 Holy warrior (complete champion) bonus to damage equal to highest war spell known
Die hard
Smite (wisdom)

Level 3 channel spell
Divine bulwark

Level 4 fist of the gods
Rapid spontaneous casting

Level 5 war caster
Divine might of Haela (divine might using wisdom)

Invader
2013-08-08, 08:41 AM
Have you checked out Complete Champion? There if re a few cleric based PrC there that would worth ore for a war/strengh cleric (Ordained Champion and there is another one that deals with Paragons.)

If those don't work then what are thinking you want the PrC to do?

I second this. Ordained champion looks like it would fit the bill and if you need something a little more powerful just ignore the loss of the caster level.

cerin616
2013-08-08, 09:39 AM
Ok so this is what I settled on...

Essentially just and ordained champion, but I swapped bab for spell levels. Charisma dependant abilities have been switched to wisdom dependent and then the spontaneous casting ability I switched for Holy Warrior.

As much as I want to be able to turn all of my 4th level spells into flamestrikes and then cast them as swift actions (sounds awesome) I need spontaneous healing for the party.

So here it is!

Medium bab progression
Full divine spellcaster level

Level 1 bonus domain (as ordained champ)
Combat feats able to sacrifice for fighter feats

Level 2 Holy warrior (complete champion) bonus to damage equal to highest war spell known
Die hard
Smite (wisdom)

Level 3 channel spell
Divine bulwark

Level 4 fist of the gods
Rapid spontaneous casting

Level 5 war caster
Divine might of Haela (divine might using wisdom)

Then you just need divine metamagic and extend persist divine power on yourself

ramrod
2013-08-08, 11:11 AM
Divine metamagic and persist... Do I not also need extend for that?

ramrod
2013-08-08, 11:13 AM
Ahh, it was already in your answer! Lol I have thought about it, but 3 feats is a hell of a lot, plus I only have 2 turn attempts and nightsticks don't stack in our campaign

cerin616
2013-08-08, 11:36 AM
Thats fair, but its gonna be really rough not having full BAB and not having permanent divine power.

Andion Isurand
2013-08-08, 01:07 PM
As far as possible abilities go, how about adding additional spells to your cleric class spell list, like adding Heroics to your spell list as a 3rd level cleric spell (normally a 2nd level sor/wiz spell)?

-----------------------------------

If I were making the class for 4 or 5 levels, I would give it full BAB and spell progression, but leave it a little lighter on features.

Classes like Abjurant Champion already exist for wizards and sorcerers who want full BAB and spell progression from a 5 level class.