PDA

View Full Version : Spell Ideas

pbdr
2013-08-07, 08:42 AM
So, my group (4, 7th level Genasi, one for each element) will be encountering a "retired" adventuring couple (married) at their farm. They are a Wizard 5/Incantatrix 10 (Husband) and Cleric of Thoth (15). It's just them at the farm, they live on the edge of a large grassland (savanna like). These NPCs are going to play a role again later in the campaign (once the PCs are higher level), but for now it's just a meet and great and a place to get some items identified.

I'm wondering what spells they might have up and about at the farm? And on themselves? The wizard has the contingent spell feat and they have a couple contingent spell on them each (mass hold person on each if they are attacked, plus others).

The PCs have a history with "old" people, due to a rough encounter with a green hag near a mountain lake once and there is a chance they will attack the couple, if that happens, I want to shut the combat down before it starts (thus the mass hold person, at this point a DC 23 will save is pretty tough)

Core and FR primarily, but i'd be open to others (I allow outside sources with DM approval).

The idea for the area spells is to have some level of protection and bolstering for themselves and the farm, but this isn't supposed to be a combat encounter.

The PCs have a different alignment than the couple, and they are trying to hide somewhat incognito, so I'm not planning on "Forbiddance".

The wizard has an extra-dimensional tower (Magnificent mansion that has been made permanent) where they do research out of the eyes of other people.

So, i'm looking for non-lethal protection type spells that they might have up on the farm and area. for themselves, the aren't really that concerned and don't have a lot of walking around spells (they live a quit life at this point).

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-07, 08:54 AM
I would think that effigy barn cats would be a funny defensive option, maybe Effigy cattle. There is a template somewhere than gives them an int score. Rudimentary intelligence or something.

Spuddles
2013-08-07, 09:18 AM
does mass hold person even work on genasi?

mattie_p
2013-08-07, 09:24 AM
does mass hold person even work on genasi?

It will if they are lesser genasi.

pbdr
2013-08-07, 09:25 AM
Standard Forgotten Realms Genasi

mattie_p
2013-08-07, 09:44 AM
Standard Forgotten Realms Genasi

Then, yeah, it won't hold your party, as they are all outsiders (native). Mass hold person only targets humanoid creatures.

Mass Hold Monster is a level 9 spell, nothing doing there. You could do mass charm monster as a level 8 spell.

Spuddles
2013-08-07, 09:52 AM
Versatile Spellcaster gets you 9ths on a 15th level wizard.

But why not just use Deep Slumber and some rope, instead?