PDA

View Full Version : The Trokar (3.5, New Race, PEACH)

BelGareth
2013-08-07, 12:04 PM
I've been wanting to post this for a while, since I've also been wanting to play one for a while too...

This was originally created by a friend of mine for his homebrew Pathfinder campaign, he had it up on his site, but low and behold it is no longer there.

With his permission, I recreated what I could from memory, and adjusted it to 3.5, adding a sprinkling of my own stuff.

I've played one in a PF game and thoroughly enjoyed it, so hopefully I can do so again, and maybe others can too.

Link to original location (http://wreckface.com/valdora-races/trokar) - Currently empty

BelGareth
2013-08-07, 12:05 PM
The Trokar

Trokar are a nomadic race, they take the term to the extreme and are flighty to point of feyish reasoning. There innate spell like abilities to disappear when needed means they can go when they please, allowing for them to get into vast amounts of trouble without recourse.

Personality: Trokar are emotional beings, they do as they please among the more civilized folk and then skip town when things heat up. They wear their heart on their sleeves and dislike the cloying hidden nature of most human interactions, finding elves and gnomes to be more in tune with themselves.

Physical Description: A Trokar is the same size and build as a Human, the males standing slightly taller, similar to a half orc. They are strong and fast, but lack the forethought and wisdom of other races. Their skin is pitch black and their hair ranges in color from stark white to blonde, brown, and strawberry red. Their eyes are usually violet or purple but can be any range of color, the color of their eyes usually tells you which tribe they belong to. Apart from the above, they look exactly like humans do, and come in as many variations.

Relations: Trokar are almost usually regarded with distrust, those human settlements that allow them, either have never seen one before or have and are keeping a close eye on them. They have great relations with gnomes and elves, however they too see them as cowards and flighty and can get tired of them as well.

Alignment: The Trokars ability to leave whenever needed, shapes their nature as nomads, and so the vast majority of trokars are chaotic, but it is not unheard of a few Lawful Trokar fed up of the nomadic life. Neutral trokar are also common, with Evil and Good aligned less so.

Trokar Lands: The trokar have no lands, except those they wander in their nomadic tribes, they travel in tribes similar to modern day gypsies and go where the road takes them.

Religion: The trokar have no set religion, most tribes hold their ancestors dear and close, while others revere nature, but for the most part they worship pantheons as a whole, seeing the truth in all the gods.

It is rumored among most trokari tribes that the ability to 'jump' (as the trokari call it) derives from their strong connection with their ancestors. It is their ancestors who pick them up and then move them through time and space to the new location. Many trokari druids and priests claim to have seen their ancestors while 'jumping'.

They carry onto explain that the old ones, the ancient trokari hate armor and will not heed the call of any trokari calling for their aid. Most seers and clerics say it is due to their history of fighting an armored foe, but no matter how hard they ask and delve, they cannot find this hidden enemy.

Language: Trokar are fluent in Trokari and Common, they try to learn as many other languages as possible, enabling them to get out of more trouble.

Names: Trokari names have meanings, and they usually only have one name.

Male Names: Baul, Bavol, Durriken, and Lensar

Female Names: Dahlia, Dooriya, Rawnie, and Syeira

Adventurers: Trokari adventure for many reasons, some do it just because it feels natural, while others do it out of want to be away from their family. But most common is the trickster rogue, the Trokar who is appeasing his urges and doing as he pleases, these are the Trokari who give the Trokar their bad reputation among the more ‘civilised’ races.

Trokar Racial Traits

Humanoid, Trokar
+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom. Trokar are both strong and fast, but lack the hindsight of what their actions will cause.
Medium. As medium creatures, trokari have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Trokar base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision: Trokar can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and trokar can function just fine with no light at all.
Natural Armor: Trokar skin is thick and tough, they have a natural armor bonus of +2.
Spell like abilities: The trokari are able to vanish without a trace, at 4th level a trokar may use Dimension Door as a spell like ability 1/day with a caster level equal to its HD. He may use this ability an additional time per day for every 4 HD beyond 4th. At 10th, the trokar may Teleport instead. The DC (if needed) of these spells is 10 + ˝ HD + Cha modifier. The Trokari loses all uses of this spell like ability when he wears armor of any kind.
Favored Class: Ranger (Spell-less Ranger (CW, p 13) is strongly suggested)

BelGareth
2013-08-07, 12:06 PM
Trokar Paragon

The Trokari Paragon exemplifies the ability to travel vast distances and pushes the boundaries of his innate abilities.

Adventures: A Trokar Paragon adventures to enhance his abilities, both innate and overt, his strength his is his ability to move faster than any others.

Characteristics: The trokar paragon is a fast moving hit and run fighter, capable of closing most distances with his prey in a blink of the eye.

Alignment: Most trokari paragons are chaotic.

Religion: Most trokari paragons worship their forefathers or the pantheons as a whole, seeing all gods as adventurers who managed to raise themselves above their kin.

Background: Trokari paragons are those trokar who push the limits of their spell like abilities, they know their ability to travel is not a weakness to be used for running away, but to close with the enemy and protect their clan and family.

Other Classes: trokari Paragons have trouble relating to more grounded classes, like the Knight, and Paladin, they enjoy the company of the Barbarian, Bard, and Sorcerer, seeing their emotional connection as kindred spirits.

Role: The trokari paragon is a hit and run melee warrior.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Trokar Paragons have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Dexterity is the trokar's most important abilities, dexterity because he cannot wear armor. Constitution allows the trokar to take more hits, and Strength allows him to deal more damage.
Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d12
Starting Age: As ranger
Starting Gold: As ranger

Class Skills
The Trokar paragon's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Trokar Paragon

LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial
1st +1+2+2+0 Spring Attack, Improved darkvision (+30 ft.)
2nd +2+3+3+0 Fast travel
3rd +3+3+3+1 Armored Skin

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Trokar paragons are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, they are not proficient with armor of any kind.

Improved Darkvision (Ex): At 1st level, a trokari paragon's darkvision range increases by 30 feet.

Spring Attack: At 1st level, the trokar paragon gains the spring attack feat regardless of whether or not he meets the prerequisites for the feat. If he already has the feat, he may choose a bonus combat feat for which he meets the prerequisites for.

Fast Travel: The trokar has practiced using his innate ability and refined its usage allowing him to act afterwards. When the trokar uses his spell like ability to cast dimension door, he is able to act afterwards, letting him utilize his move action, or a full action if he uses the quicken spell like ability feat.

Armored Skin: The trokari’s skin hardens and allows him to fend off even the most lethal of attacks. The trokari gains an additional +3 (stacks with the +2) bonus to natural armor which improves by +1 for every 4 HD.

BelGareth
2013-08-07, 12:07 PM
Trokar Racial Feats

Extra teleport [Racial]
You are able to utilize your spell like abilities more often.
Prerequisite
Trokari
Benefit
You can use your spell like ability to dimension door/teleport an additional amount of times per day equal to half your charisma modifier.

Tough skin [Racial]
Your skin is tougher than most
Prerequisite
Trokari
Benefit
You gain damage reduction 2/-.
Special
You may take this feat an additional time for every 4 HD you poses.

Trokari Hit and Run [Racial]
You have learned the trokari hit and run technique, allowing you to deliver punishing strikes after appearing from nowhere.
Prerequisite
Trokari, Spring Attack, Dimensional Assault
Benefit
You are able to utilize your dimension door spell like ability to empower your spring attacks. By using an attack action and expending a daily use of your trokari spell like ability, you may spring attack up to twice your full speed via dimension door, attack, and then move back via dimension door to any location within twice your full speed that dimension door would allow.
Special
If the trokari has the ability to teleport, this feat still only functions as per the dimension door spell.
Additionally, this ability may be used with the Bounding Assault feat.

Trokari Comet[Racial]
You have learned to channel the power of your strikes from your dimensional assault, punishing your targets.
Prerequisite
Trokari Hit and Run, BAB +9
Benefit
If you utilize the trokari Hit and Run feat, your melee attacks deal an additional amount of damage equal to +1d4 per daily use of your trokari spell like ability remaining.

The following should have [Racial] added and should be strongly considered for 3.5 campaigns that include the Trokar race (all link to d20pfsrd.com).
Dimensional Agility (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dimensional-agility)
Dimensional Assault (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dimensional-assault)
Dimensional Dervish (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dimensional-dervish)
Dimensional Maneuvers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dimensional-maneuvers)
Dimensional Savant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dimensional-savant)

Debihuman
2013-08-08, 11:09 AM
What is their Type (and subtype if any)?

Debby

BelGareth
2013-08-08, 11:41 AM
What is their Type (and subtype if any)?

Debby

They are humanoid, but as the d20srd races have no mention of type, I didn't put it in.

Do I need to?

Debihuman
2013-08-08, 12:20 PM
Yes. Type and Subtype should always be mentioned. If it is a Humanoid race, it usually has its own subtype. See Humanoid, Human. Humanoid, Elf. This should be Humanoid, Trokar.

The reason the Type and Subtype isn't mentioned is because in the SRD there is a Full stat block that shows all the information. See here for Elf: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm

Debby

BelGareth
2013-08-08, 01:11 PM
Yes. Type and Subtype should always be mentioned. If it is a Humanoid race, it usually has its own subtype. See Humanoid, Human. Humanoid, Elf. This should be Humanoid, Trokar.

The reason the Type and Subtype isn't mentioned is because in the SRD there is a Full stat block that shows all the information. See here for Elf: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm

Debby

Yeah I see your point, I was going under the format from here:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/races.htm#humans

And there is no monster: Human stat block.

Temotei
2013-08-09, 02:26 PM
What do they look like? All we know right now is that they're slightly taller than humans, have black skin, violet eyes, and light-colored hairs of various hues. Are they basically human in appearance?

BelGareth
2013-08-09, 02:54 PM
What do they look like? All we know right now is that they're slightly taller than humans, have black skin, violet eyes, and light-colored hairs of various hues. Are they basically human in appearance?

Hmmm, good point. They are indeed just like humans but with the above mentioned traits.

Kinda like the Human version of Drow.

What would you suggest to add to the text to explain that, or should i just say they look like humans?

Temotei
2013-08-09, 02:59 PM
What would you suggest to add to the text to explain that, or should i just say they look like humans?

That'd be fine.

BelGareth
2013-08-09, 03:00 PM
That'd be fine.

Sounds good, thanks for letting me know!

Boci
2013-08-09, 03:19 PM
If this is to be for 3.5 you should probably adjust the ability adjustment for a net 0. Also tone down dimensional door to a lower level teleportation or cut the range. Make it 10ft (maybe add +10ft per 3 or 4 levels) and it would still be a useful ability.

BelGareth
2013-08-09, 03:53 PM
If this is to be for 3.5 you should probably adjust the ability adjustment for a net 0. Also tone down dimensional door to a lower level teleportation or cut the range. Make it 10ft (maybe add +10ft per 3 or 4 levels) and it would still be a useful ability.

I beg to differ, I think the 3.5 racial system is all wonky, and I stand by this race being a LA+0 (or at least in all my games it will be), if the DM wants to tack on a LA+1, so be it, up to each DM to mitigate stuff like that.

With the no armor thing, I think it balances out.

And reducing it to 10ft per 3 or 4 levels, that would, in my eyes ruin it, that completely makes it into something that is a trick and not a unique ability that is worth taking the race for.

And DD 1/day at 4th, thats not OP. Plus CL is at your HD, so at 4th you can travel 560 ft.

Once.

Boci
2013-08-09, 04:07 PM
I beg to differ, I think the 3.5 racial system is all wonky, and I stand by this race being a LA+0 (or at least in all my games it will be), if the DM wants to tack on a LA+1, so be it, up to each DM to mitigate stuff like that.

Its not that simple though. This race is currently very strong as a LA: 0 race, but would be very weak as a LA: +1 race. If this works for you group then great, but if you want it peached for general consumption you either need to weaken it to give other LA: 0 races a chance, or boost it and give it LA:+1.

With the no armor thing, I think it balances out.

It really doesn't. Until level 4 they have no reason to avoid armour, and by level 4 they can start investing in a pearl of power for mage armour or braces of armour. And they can safely wear armour at any time once they have used their daily allowance.

And reducing it to 10ft per 3 or 4 levels, that would, in my eyes ruin it, that completely makes it into something that is a trick and not a unique ability that is worth taking the race for.

And DD 1/day at 4th, thats not OP. Plus CL is at your HD, so at 4th you can travel 560 ft.

Once.

Its still a fourth level spell as a spell like ability with a caster level equal to it its hitdie. I'm pretty sure that's unheard of on an LA:0 race.

BelGareth
2013-08-09, 04:18 PM
It really doesn't. Until level 4 they have no reason to avoid armour, and by level 4 they can start investing in a pearl of power for mage armour or braces of armour. And they can safely wear armour at any time once they have used their daily allowance.

You do have a point here, initially they had another class feature that prevented them from wearing armor, I removed it as I thought it was too clunky, but...as you mentioned above, I'm thinking I should add it back in.

Basically, trokari have acidic blood that damages any armor they wear, while this can be overcome later on, its something of a significant thing earlier on.

Hmmm, i'm also going to add a clause saying they lose their sla's if they wear armor...

EDIT: Nevermind, I fluffed up a reason why they cannot wear armor, which I think adds a great hook for DM's and also added the clause of losing all racial SLA's if they ever wear armor.

Boci
2013-08-09, 04:52 PM
You do have a point here, initially they had another class feature that prevented them from wearing armor, I removed it as I thought it was too clunky, but...as you mentioned above, I'm thinking I should add it back in.

Basically, trokari have acidic blood that damages any armor they wear, while this can be overcome later on, its something of a significant thing earlier on.

Hmmm, i'm also going to add a clause saying they lose their sla's if they wear armor...

EDIT: Nevermind, I fluffed up a reason why they cannot wear armor, which I think adds a great hook for DM's and also added the clause of losing all racial SLA's if they ever wear armor.

You haven't actually changed anything mechanically though. What if my Trokar was separated at birth and never learned their customs? What if they are a rebel and a wind up merchant and decide to deliberately flaunt the teachings of their tribe. You need to spell out mechanically what happens in these two events, otherwise the DM will seem heavy handed if they add any additional penalties.

Furthermore I'm still bothered about an LA:0 race getting access to a 4th level spell at level 4 (so 3 levels before a wizard). At the very least clarify that they cannot take other with it, but even then I think a shorter range with more frequent and earlier uses would be more mechanically elegant. Maybe cut the action it consumes to a move or swift.

As far as the feats go, I'd consider changing it to grant a flat bonus rather basing it off half an ability modifier. I'd also change tough skin. A feat for +1 AC is boring and weak (especially if the bonus doesn't apply to touch AC). I'd change it to DR: 2/-, which would be more useful and a bit more exciting.

Finally, you mention divine casters in the fluff but this race is far more suited for arcane casters, who would be far less bothered by the no armour clause and do not take a hit to their casting stat.

BelGareth
2013-08-09, 05:29 PM
You haven't actually changed anything mechanically though. What if my Trokar was separated at birth and never learned their customs? What if they are a rebel and a wind up merchant and decide to deliberately flaunt the teachings of their tribe. You need to spell out mechanically what happens in these two events, otherwise the DM will seem heavy handed if they add any additional penalties.

Well, the sla's would still be available, ancestors choose to help whom they please, and you're always going to have outcasts. Why would anything happen if they are a merchant? they would still have the ability to 'jump', if they flaunt the tribes customs, they flaunt them, the sla is an inherent ability, fueled by the power of their ancestors.

Furthermore I'm still bothered about an LA:0 race getting access to a 4th level spell at level 4 (so 3 levels before a wizard). At the very least clarify that they cannot take other with it, but even then I think a shorter range with more frequent and earlier uses would be more mechanically elegant. Maybe cut the action it consumes to a move or swift.

Agreed, in fact, I believe I forgot they could not take people with them no matter what level they were, I'll add this, as it does mitigate somethings.

As far as the feats go, I'd consider changing it to grant a flat bonus rather basing it off half an ability modifier. I'd also change tough skin. A feat for +1 AC is boring and weak (especially if the bonus doesn't apply to touch AC). I'd change it to DR: 2/-, which would be more useful and a bit more exciting.

There is the Improved Natural armor feat (http://dndtools.eu/feats/monster-manual-iii--76/improved-natural-armor--1528/), so it's not like I'm breaking new ground here. I do like your DR idea, and I'm a huge fan of DR. I like it.

Finally, you mention divine casters in the fluff but this race is far more suited for arcane casters, who would be far less bothered by the no armour clause and do not take a hit to their casting stat.
True, but Seers and revelators are going to be divine by nature, especially with the whole ancestors spirits vibe. I'm going for a gypsie theme here, and seemed logical to me, hedge witches, blind old seers and strange druids. I suppose warlocks and sorcerers would definitely have their place also...I'm still kinda building the fluff up, and plan on doing some sub classes/racial prestige classes. I was thinking a spirit talker/binder class, and now I'm thinking of doing sub classes for warlock, sorcerer and binder.

Thanks for your input, you're making me think, which is great (cuz sometimes....well I don't)

BelGareth
2013-08-12, 02:43 PM
Bump ber bumpity