PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a change in campaigns

Novawurmson
2013-08-07, 12:32 PM
Hello, playground.

My group played the same campaign for two years (almost to the day) and have started up a new campaign. I'm pretty excited about the change of pace, two of my players seem to be adjusting well (apart from the whole "Going from level 20 to level 3" shock), but one of my players is pretty depressed about losing her character of two years.

I've never gotten to have a character for that long, so I'm having a hard time figuring out how to help ease the transition.

1. Players: What helped you transition into a new character after getting really attached to an old one?

2. DMs: How have you dealt with similar situations?

Thanks in advance.

limejuicepowder
2013-08-07, 12:40 PM
I've never gotten that attached to a character before so I can't speak from experience (in fact, I have the opposite problem...I love the look of everything I'm not currently playing), but my initial reaction is "just keep playing." Remind the player that it takes time to really like and get used to new characters, and I'm sure it didn't happen with her other character overnight.

On the DM side, the only thing I can think of is doing little cameos from the other campaign. I really like tie-ins, and a quick visit from past heroes can be fun. New campaign world doesn't even matter; if they are 20th level the party can change multiverses easily.

Eldonauran
2013-08-07, 12:54 PM
Being both a player and a DM (never at the same time, mind you), I've seen a number people respond the same way you are describing. A bit of advice I like to offer fellow DMs/Players:

1) Don't think of it as the End of the character. Games can go higher than level 20 and one day, we can/will play an epic game where the character can adventure again. Think of it as a new opportunity to breathe life into a new character, watch them develop and grow in power. Bring new ideas to life.

2) I generally find that a proper 'retirement' for characters that are truly being left behind is the best way to break that link and help the player let go. The last session I run in any campaign is generally an 'epilogue' for that adventure. Generally, we pick back where we left off several years down the road if the players want to use the same characters again. Never underestimate the power of a good 'And they lived happily ever after'.

Novawurmson
2013-08-07, 01:07 PM
2) I generally find that a proper 'retirement' for characters that are truly being left behind is the best way to break that link and help the player let go. The last session I run in any campaign is generally an 'epilogue' for that adventure. Generally, we pick back where we left off several years down the road if the players want to use the same characters again. Never underestimate the power of a good 'And they lived happily ever after'.

Well, they actually spent several months turning their old characters into gods (it was a Golarion campaign, so they took the Test of the Starstone), so the "happy ever after" is "godhood and thousands/millions of worshipers."

underlaud
2013-08-07, 01:10 PM
Being both a player and a DM (never at the same time, mind you), I've seen a number people respond the same way you are describing. A bit of advice I like to offer fellow DMs/Players:

1) Don't think of it as the End of the character. Games can go higher than level 20 and one day, we can/will play an epic game where the character can adventure again. Think of it as a new opportunity to breathe life into a new character, watch them develop and grow in power. Bring new ideas to life.

What he said on both points. I have played characters that I truly enjoyed and hated to see them go, but having some type of finale and an "epilogue" did make things easier. Though that being said some people only really enjoy and get into one character where others can breeze through a notebook of them and not bat an eye.

Did your player put anything into this new character she made? Background, classes, etc? Or was it a premade? (Some have trouble getting into the character of a premade since they did not do anything to create it.)

Edit: Spelling

Sheogoroth
2013-08-07, 01:17 PM
Build their old characters into the lore. Have them stumble upon weapons used by their old characters that have now gained minor artifact status, or legends about the great heroes of yore. Have cities named after them or even cults for them. People get attatched to their characters, it's the point of backstory and roleplay, and the: "They lived happily ever after" closure bit is very important.

Or best of all... take the old character of the person who has the most trouble adjusting, and make it into your secret BBEG(dramatic reveal style).
All bads are controlled by the 'mysterious Darth Sideous-esque hidden bad guy,' and unveil their identity in the final showdown.
Talk about a poetic twist!

Morgarion
2013-08-07, 01:28 PM
Or best of all... take the old character of the person who has the most trouble adjusting, and make it into your secret BBEG

Really? That just seems mean-spirited to me. I would definitely check with someone before I used their character like this, especially if the character wasn't a bad guy to begin with. As cooperative as gaming can be (at it's best), it's more their property than yours.

Eldonauran
2013-08-07, 01:29 PM
Well, they actually spent several months turning their old characters into gods (it was a Golarion campaign, so they took the Test of the Starstone), so the "happy ever after" is "godhood and thousands/millions of worshipers."

Wow. Godhood, huh? That one can be a tricky epilogue. Some player will be like, awesome! and leave it at that. Others will want to keep pushing forward, exploring what it means to have that much power. I admit, as a player, I would want to keep that ball rolling and see what I could accomplish. As a DM, godhood is a massive plothook that I would dangle over my player's heads and see which one is the first to bite.

I'll echo the others when they say to bring aspects of the older characters into the new games, especially if they take place within the same game 'universe'. Fledgling gods make quite a bit of splash when they first ascend and still have to acquire their domains and cement their foothold. Others disappear for a time before emerging as a powerful force.

Fun ideas that cross my mind; Have the new players be mortal children of the new god, sired before their ascension and living in the shadow of their tale or striving to live up to their parent's example. This could be a generation or two down the line, or even further.

Barsoom
2013-08-07, 01:41 PM
When our campaign ended, I made a video (with appropriate dramatic music) depicting the retirement of the PCs and prominent NPCs. It was inspired by, and styled after, Throne of Baal's ending videos (look them up on youtube if you never played that game). It was a nice closure for the characters.