PDA

View Full Version : Does druid have enough blasting variety to compare to a warmage?

CyberThread
2013-08-07, 12:37 PM
So a group I know lost its warmage and cleric, the cleric is easy enough to replace, but I am thinking of maybe applying with a druid that blast. Does the druid have enough blasting spells to be comparable with a warmage variety ?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-07, 12:40 PM
So a group I know lost its warmage and cleric, the cleric is easy enough to replace, but I am thinking of maybe applying with a druid that blast. Does the druid have enough blasting spells to be comparable with a warmage variety ?
Probably not in terms of sheer area- and damage-type coverage. But you can do some blasting, and shape spell (or a rod thereof) will help your versatility.

OverdrivePrime
2013-08-07, 12:54 PM
The druid has plenty. If you're worried about different kinds of elemental damage you can pick up Energy Substitution [Sonic or Acid].

And don't forget you can drop a spell to summon an elemental if you're hard up for energy typed damage.

Jeff the Green
2013-08-07, 01:01 PM
Druids are actually really good blasters. My favorite is turning SNA into a blast spell. III, V, VI, VII, and VIII in particular are good because they can summon storm elementals, which have AoO sonic and electricity damage, plus a free action shock each round. Plus you can use Rashemi Elemental Summoning to make them Orglashes for cone of cold 3/day.

Ketiara
2013-08-07, 04:13 PM
What SNA list is storm elementals on?

Jeff the Green
2013-08-07, 06:02 PM
What SNA list is storm elementals on?

Like I said, III, V, VI, VII, and VIII. They're in MM3, which also says which ones go on which list.

ArqArturo
2013-08-07, 06:05 PM
Actually, the question should be the other way around, since the druid has a pretty solid list for anything he sets his mind to.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-08-07, 06:06 PM
To add more blasting to that you can take Dragon Wild Shape at level 12, shift into any dragon that gets a poisonous breath weapon and use Venomfire to blast all day long.

JaronK
2013-08-07, 06:24 PM
Druids are probably better blasters. Spells like Boreal Wind (MASSIVE area damage) put them out on top over the Warmage's "I have lots of spells that do the same thing" issue.

JaronK

Chronos
2013-08-07, 06:28 PM
If you're playing core-only, then you don't get any area-of-effect blasting until spell level 4.

On the other hand, once you get to spell level 5, you get the largest area of any core blasting spell, from Control Winds. It's not tough to get hurricane or even tornado-force winds covering an entire battlefield.