PDA

View Full Version : How does one obtain a slaymate?

killem2
2013-08-07, 01:33 PM
I've been reading a few threads about the monster, but nothing I can find actually says (aside from encountering one) how you can get it?

Silva Stormrage
2013-08-07, 01:43 PM
DM Fiat or in your backstory. There are no RAW ways to create one that I know of. Maybe a wish or a miracle would do it.

Another way might be using halastar's fetch which works like summon monster but the creature stays permanently after the normal duration is up (But isn't under your control). With the feat that lets you select an additional evil type monster to be on your summon monster list and select a fiendish slaymate. But thats about the only way I can think of.

Fyermind
2013-08-07, 01:44 PM
my prefered way is scry + teleport + rebuke/command undead

Segev
2013-08-07, 01:48 PM
There's a badly-worded one-shot magic item that, when wrapped around a corpse, animates it as a kind of undead of the user's choosing. I say it's badly-worded because it has a different price depending on whether it emulates Animate Dead, Create Undead, or Create Greater Undead, and none of those let you make just any kind of undead you choose; they each have specific lists. Therefore, per the RAW, the shroud item can make a Slaymate, but it's not possible to tell if you need the cheap, moderate, or expensive version to do so. It's pretty certain that the expensive version WILL do so, however; the magic item lacks any controlling language limiting it to the kind of undead the spell from which it's made can create.

You can beg your DM to let you use Create Undead or Create Greater Undead to make one, you can use one of those shrouds, or you can hope to run into one. To my knowledge, there are no truly guaranteed, no-questions-asked, RAW ways to obtain one.

Jeff the Green
2013-08-07, 01:54 PM
You shouldn't be able to create it with a spell; it's created when a child dies of neglect. So you can either go find one or abduct and murder a child. At a high enough level you can travel to another plane and gate one in.

Yuki Akuma
2013-08-07, 02:05 PM
You shouldn't be able to create it with a spell; it's created when a child dies of neglect. So you can either go find one or abduct and murder a child. At a high enough level you can travel to another plane and gate one in.

Morhgs are created when a mass murderer dies without atoning for their crimes, but you can create one with Create Undead.

Spectres are created when someone dies violently, but you can create one with Create Greater Undead.

Silva Stormrage
2013-08-07, 02:05 PM
There's a badly-worded one-shot magic item that, when wrapped around a corpse, animates it as a kind of undead of the user's choosing. I say it's badly-worded because it has a different price depending on whether it emulates Animate Dead, Create Undead, or Create Greater Undead, and none of those let you make just any kind of undead you choose; they each have specific lists. Therefore, per the RAW, the shroud item can make a Slaymate, but it's not possible to tell if you need the cheap, moderate, or expensive version to do so. It's pretty certain that the expensive version WILL do so, however; the magic item lacks any controlling language limiting it to the kind of undead the spell from which it's made can create.

You can beg your DM to let you use Create Undead or Create Greater Undead to make one, you can use one of those shrouds, or you can hope to run into one. To my knowledge, there are no truly guaranteed, no-questions-asked, RAW ways to obtain one.

Oh right, THAT item. http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20021031x

Nothing says balanced and not misinterpreted like creating an angel of decay for 1.5k :smallsigh: The item is intended to be a one use duplication of animate dead, create undead and create greater undead.

Deophaun
2013-08-07, 02:08 PM
You shouldn't be able to create it with a spell; it's created when a child dies of neglect.
It's not simply neglect, but betrayal. An orphan who dies of starvation after his parents' slaughter isn't going to come back as a slaymate. One who starved because father drank all their money away might.

And that might is a problem. There's no guarantee any child so killed will come back as a slaymate. The method is still reliant on DM fiat, but it is at least a plausible way for a willing DM to let it into the campaign.

It's also been mentioned that a wish might work to get one. But if you have access to a wish, you probably have better things to do with it.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-07, 02:34 PM
I wonder if one could be an undead caster and shapeshift into one to gain the benefits? Maybe PAO another undead into one...

One could possibly gate one in. You would get one slaymate from somewhere other than the prime material. They exist anywhere that children die of neglect and betrayal, so in an infinite mulitverse there are tons.

Spuddles
2013-08-07, 06:37 PM
Is there anything preventing you from creating a simulacrum of one?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-08-07, 07:13 PM
A while back I played a Necropolitan Dread Necromancer who was lord over a small (mostly empty) area. His wife was a ghost that haunted the catacombs and could divine just about anything, but demanded payment in blood. His brother and undead cohort was a Tainted Minion Fighter who acted as steward in his absence. His own daughter, due to a lack of food in a castle full of undead servants and plain old neglect, became a slaymate. His Rebuke Undead ability allowed him to maintain control over her, he Spellstitched her with defensive abilities, and picked Revive Undead as one of his extra necromancy spells. The character wasn't all that fun to play because each of his turns took longer than the entire rest of the round because he had so many minions fighting. He would make an excellent NPC for a party of PCs to find it necessary to interact peacefully with.

Sith_Happens
2013-08-07, 10:46 PM
He would make an excellent NPC for a party of PCs to find it necessary to interact peacefully with slaughter mercilessly.

Fixed that for you.

Silva Stormrage
2013-08-08, 12:25 AM
Is there anything preventing you from creating a simulacrum of one?

In order to create a simulacrum of one you need part of a slaymate correct? Or are you using the argument that a spell component pouch should have a bit of every single person?

Talderas
2013-08-08, 06:11 AM
To create a slaymate you're going to need about a... 6-10 year time frame.

1. Find a spouse that you trick into believing you love him/her.
2. Get a pregnancy, hopefully it's a daughter.
3. Raise daughter to love and trust you and believe you love your spouse.
4. Around age 6-8 tie up your daughter and kill your spouse in front of her.
5. Kill your daughter.
6. Sit around sipping wine while you wait for the slaymate to be born.
7. Rebuke undead.

danzibr
2013-08-08, 06:21 AM
To create a slaymate you're going to need about a... 6-10 year time frame.

1. Find a spouse that you trick into believing you love him/her.
2. Get a pregnancy, hopefully it's a daughter.
3. Raise daughter to love and trust you and believe you love your spouse.
4. Around age 6-8 tie up your daughter and kill your spouse in front of her.
5. Kill your daughter.
6. Sit around sipping wine while you wait for the slaymate to be born.
7. Rebuke undead.
Wow that's messed up.

Talderas
2013-08-08, 07:13 AM
Wow that's messed up.

I recommend a nice chianti while you wait. Perhaps some fava beans to sate your appetite as well.

Mystia
2013-08-08, 08:48 AM
I found this thread to be amusing, because my very first thread was asking this same question. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283446).

Well, in the end I did get mine through Gate, but there are some other fine suggestions in there too.

Bonzai
2013-08-08, 10:20 AM
Undead leadership can get you one. I obtained mine through the Pale Master class as my undead Cohort.

Blackhawk748
2013-08-08, 11:00 AM
I once played a Half Vampire Dread Necromancer who had one. It was his little sister, who his father neglected and as a result came back as a Slaymate. When my character came back he found her locked in the basement. Well to put it bluntly my characters father (wasnt his biological father) got ripped apart by a VERY angry Half Vampire. After that my character bought a house, animated several Wraiths to guard it and lived there taking care of his sister, who had long black hair and wore a little red dress with a dark red cloak and she always had her teddy bear with her. She scared the crap out of one of the other party members when he first saw her. Also my character had Awaken cast on her so she could be sentient again. She had a tendency to piggy-back on my character during combat, so i fired off a lot of Fell Drain and Fell Animate spells, thst actually how i got my Zombie Hydra. Oh btw her name was Alma :smallwink:

Edit: On topic, youd be amazed how often a DM will let you have one entirely because its "cool" thats why i got one, and it worked for my backstory. I wonder if i still have his Character Sheet.........

Talderas
2013-08-08, 12:03 PM
I once played a Half Vampire Dread Necromancer who had one. It was his little sister, who his father neglected and as a result came back as a Slaymate. When my character came back he found her locked in the basement. Well to put it bluntly my characters father (wasnt his biological father) got ripped apart by a VERY angry Half Vampire. After that my character bought a house, animated several Wraiths to guard it and lived there taking care of his sister, who had long black hair and wore a little red dress with a dark red cloak and she always had her teddy bear with her. She scared the crap out of one of the other party members when he first saw her. Also my character had Awaken cast on her so she could be sentient again. She had a tendency to piggy-back on my character during combat, so i fired off a lot of Fell Drain and Fell Animate spells, thst actually how i got my Zombie Hydra. Oh btw her name was Alma :smallwink:

Edit: On topic, youd be amazed how often a DM will let you have one entirely because its "cool" thats why i got one, and it worked for my backstory. I wonder if i still have his Character Sheet.........

Just want to point out. I managed to skip the struck out line. Is it sad that I didn't find what I read to be odd?

peacenlove
2013-08-08, 12:18 PM
DM Fiat or in your backstory. There are no RAW ways to create one that I know of. Maybe a wish or a miracle would do it.

Another way might be using halastar's fetch which works like summon monster but the creature stays permanently after the normal duration is up (But isn't under your control). With the feat that lets you select an additional evil type monster to be on your summon monster list and select a fiendish slaymate. But thats about the only way I can think of.

Doesn't work.
From here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/fiendishCreature.htm)
Creating A Fiendish Creature

"Fiendish" is an inherited template that can be added to any corporeal aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, ooze, plant, or vermin of nongood alignment (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Slaymate is undead.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-08, 12:21 PM
I think there is a specific spell that applies the fiendish template on undead.

peacenlove
2013-08-08, 12:42 PM
I think there is a specific spell that applies the fiendish template on undead.

9th level with xp components (Vile death from SC). Still a weak argument for summoning a fiendish slaymate because while there is a way to create one, you can't actually prove that it is indeed created in order to summon it unless you locate one and maybe take it from its level 17+ arcane caster creator.

EDIT: Boils down to "talk to your DM" territory.

wickedragon
2014-11-28, 03:30 AM
In order to create a simulacrum of one you need part of a slaymate correct? Or are you using the argument that a spell component pouch should have a bit of every single person?

HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION BATBAT!

Sorry, I know half the people posting in this thread has died of old age, but I couldn't contain my lust to reply.

At level 15 (or at any time where you have enough gold to buy a scroll for a level 8 spell) you suddenly get access to every weird spell component. Polymorph any Object, one of the most brokenest spells in the game.

Light a sigar, pat on it.
Pick up anything. Anything of all. Naval lint. Put it in your hand with some mercury and gum arabic. Blow into your hands while whisteling a little tune. Tadda, you have a large chunk of a slay mate, no child-murder or costly scrying and teleporting and killing stuff needed.

Cut large chunk into smaller chunks and let the simulacrumming commence. They have low HD, so it's cheap and fun to create them. Create as many as you can benefit from (one per bonus from intelligence iirc). Use PaO again to create a large playground from a pebble. Keep them there. Simulacrum up an warforged nanny to care for them and come cast your necromancy spells in the play pen from now on.