PDA

View Full Version : Spellcarved Soldier: Underrated?

Beelzebub1111
2013-08-07, 05:17 PM
I know, I know. It's a pretty low tier prestige class, but hear me out for a second.

I was looking at the class abilities and they, don't suck. A free extend from a spell cast by anybody, not just you. The ability to wear a robe with your body armor and an extra ring, total immunity to crits and precision. Granted they only last for 1hour/level and max two at a time, but it's not like there's a limit to how often they can be activated.

With a one level dip in a spellcasting class and going White Raven Crusader or maybe for a full-bab full-caster like duskblade. With a party dynamic included it's not so bad....right?

Piggy Knowles
2013-08-07, 05:27 PM
It's really not.

I once messed around with a dragonborn warforged Duskblade 3/Crusader 4/Suel Arcanamach 4/Abjurant Champion 5/Spellcarved Soldier 4, and I still happen to like the build stub a lot. Enjoy being a flying robot dragon who breathes lightning and acid on his enemies.

tyckspoon
2013-08-07, 05:32 PM
I don't think it's so much that it's a *bad* class - it's actually not terrible from the perspective of melee PrCs. It's just that it requires spellcasting to get in, which means you aren't comparing it to melee classes. You're comparing it to casting prestiges. And from that angle.. well, it gives 0/5 casting progression and the only ability that is at all related to casting isn't amazing. Extend is a pretty cheap metamagic already.

Basically, most people are going to be comparing Spellcarved Soldier to Abjurant Champion/Knight Phantom/Spellsword/Eldritch Knight/Swiftblade. It loses that comparison pretty badly.

Irk
2013-08-07, 05:35 PM
I dunno much about optimizing, but it seems like a lot of the PrC's abilities can be easily replicated. Why bother picking up an ability that grants the ability to use extra rings when you can just get the feat extra rings? The DR is not going to be overly useful at even relatively low levels, especially since everyone will have magic weapons. The DR from adamantine body is probably better, as I don't THINK everyone runs around with adamantine weapons. The runes of resistance could be decent, I guess, but aren't worth 2 levels in my opinion. Also, if you want to have long lasting buffs, persist with divine metamagic is better. These buffs can only last 1 hour, remember.
I think the most useful ability is the robe one.

Again, I am not an experienced optimizer, nor am I a PrC connoisseur. This is just my understanding of its poor reputation.

oops, I forgot about the crit immunity, but yeah, as the person below me said, it can be acquired elesewhere

sleepyphoenixx
2013-08-07, 05:35 PM
It's not really bad, it's just not special. The only truly unique ability is Rune of the Archmage. Rune of Fortification is ok but you can get immunity to crits somewhere else.
It doesn't really improve any role, it just grants a few unrelated benefits that you can aquire elsewhere.
Most builds simply have no room for it or better options for any leftover levels.

Piggy Knowles
2013-08-07, 05:42 PM
Yeah, the real kickers are the rune of fortification and the rune of the archmage, although the rune of extension certainly doesn't hurt. I wouldn't even bother taking the fifth level, even if it extends the use of your runes by an hour.

It's not a crazy good prestige class, but it's quite cool thematically, and in the right build it can add some solid bonuses.

JaronK
2013-08-07, 05:59 PM
I'm not familiar with this class, but if it requires spellcasting to get in... would be be good when following Trapsmith?

JaronK

Beelzebub1111
2013-08-07, 06:29 PM
Well it seems I was looking at this class in the wrong light. But thanks for the advice on how to do this class right. Had the idea for an inspirational leader-type character who focuses on group tactics and teamwork.

Why bother picking up an ability that grants the ability to use extra rings when you can just get the feat extra rings?
Which requires the Forge Ring feat

The DR is not going to be overly useful at even relatively low levels, especially since everyone will have magic weapons.
Monsters (without magic dr) don't.

These buffs can only last 1 hour, remember.
Nope, When the spell is cast it is extended and the DC of dispel checks is increased by +5 it doesn't say anywhere that it can only last as long as the rune is active.

Piggy Knowles
2013-08-07, 07:20 PM
I'm not familiar with this class, but if it requires spellcasting to get in... would be be good when following Trapsmith?

JaronK

None of its abilities particularly synergize with Trapsmith's spell list, but Trapsmith is kind of nice in general for getting decent casting with a minimum of levels invested.

Basically, spellcarved soldier is a five-level full BAB, warforged-only class that gives you special runes at each level that are carved into your plating, and can be activated for special effects. The runes vary in usefulness, the best being the rune of the archmage (you can wear a robe with armor, and wear an extra ring), and the worst being the capstone rune (DR 5/magic as a capstone?). Some of the others mentioned include a rune that acts as a free Extend Spell and a rune that gives you full crit/precision immunity.

Beelzebub1111
2013-08-07, 07:48 PM
There is also a rune that gives +2 on saves vs mind-affecting and things that harm specifically warforged (Heat metal, Repel wood, rusting grasp, etc)

It also requires Silver Tracery to enter the class and four ranks of spellcraft.

Akal Saris
2013-08-07, 09:38 PM
Honestly, I want to combine the PrC with any other one that requires spellcasting but doesn't advance it, like dragon disciple

Heh, maybe a master of the unseen hand?

Starbuck_II
2013-08-07, 10:01 PM
None of its abilities particularly synergize with Trapsmith's spell list, but Trapsmith is kind of nice in general for getting decent casting with a minimum of levels invested.

Basically, spellcarved soldier is a five-level full BAB, warforged-only class that gives you special runes at each level that are carved into your plating, and can be activated for special effects. The runes vary in usefulness, the best being the rune of the archmage (you can wear a robe with armor, and wear an extra ring), and the worst being the capstone rune (DR 5/magic as a capstone?). Some of the others mentioned include a rune that acts as a free Extend Spell and a rune that gives you full crit/precision immunity.

Can't Changeling count as other races with a feat or something: so a Changeling could take it?

Waker
2013-08-07, 10:15 PM
Can't Changeling count as other races with a feat or something: so a Changeling could take it?

Racial Emulation only lets you assume the traits of a Humanoid. Warforged are Constructs with the Living Construct type.