PDA

View Full Version : 5 levels wizard + one level of swordsage?

CyberThread
2013-08-07, 05:31 PM
Am curious, if you were making a level 6 build, with the next going into jade mystic

Would you take the swordsage level first so you can get the skill points before wizard, or would you take it last, so you can get better choices of maneuvers ?

*side note* what maneuvers would you pick?

Studoku
2013-08-07, 05:41 PM
Last, possibly at 5th level instead of 6th. You're an int based caster so you'll get plenty of skill points that way- an 18 int wizard gets 6/level. Assuming you're using the common sense interpretation of the misprint and not giving swordsage x6 skill points at first level, you'll have an extra 12 skill points.

Taking swordsage at level 5 or 6 means you have an initiator level of 3 and can choose second level maneuvers. The main reason to take it at 5 instead would be if you need your 6th level to max out wizard class skills- I don't know if this is an issue for Jade Mystic.

Barsoom
2013-08-07, 05:43 PM
Taking SS first as opposed to taking it last nets a gain of 12 skill points.
The difference between 2nd level maneuvers and 1st level maneuvers is a lot better than 12 skill points. IMHO.

CyberThread
2013-08-07, 05:54 PM
I don't have my book's infront of me, but am I looking at a Illusion focused wizard + swordsage then, for that feat that I think some sort of magic boost if in a stance?

What sort of maneuvers am I looking at for the 5/1 build for level 2 maneuvers?

Chronos
2013-08-07, 06:01 PM
There's also a downside to putting your high-skill class first: It means that, if you want to keep certain skills maxed out (or have them maxed out after the set number of levels), you need to spend cross-class ranks on them. By contrast, if you take Wizard X / Swordsage 1, you can dump all of your Swordsage skill points at once into Hide, Move Silently, and the like, and instantly max them.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-08-07, 06:01 PM
Depends on how you want to build and how long the campaign runs.

In general, last unless you really need the skill points to qualify for something.
Possibly first if you intend to finish the build with a martial adept class and get your high level maneuvers that way.
There are a few level 1 maneuvers that are still useful at higher levels but not enough to make more skill points a viable trade in most circumstances.

Burning Blade is worthwhile if you have a lot of attacks.
Moment of Perfect Mind if you put ranks in concentration.
Sapphire Nightmare Blade if you benefit from making opponents flat footed (Sneak Attack or Iaiutsu).
Sudden Leap and it's prerequisite can be useful if you have some way of boosting your jump checks.

Waiting till level 6 will get you access to Cloak of Deception, Shadow Jaunt and Mountain Hammer, the other level 2 maneuvers are not that great imo.
If at all possible i prefer to delay the first Swordsage level until i can get 3rd level maneuvers to pick up all 3 Diamond Mind saving throw replacers and Insightful Strike in one go along with Shadow Jaunt and Mountain Hammer.

For a first level stance i like to take Step of the Wind, especially if i have some way to create difficult terrain. Maybe Child of Shadow if the build is mobile enough to benefit from it.