PDA

View Full Version : Moved to the US; what are the perks?

Flickerdart
2013-08-07, 06:06 PM
I just moved to Pittsburgh from Toronto. Being a freeloading Canuck, I wasn't allowed to use Pandora or get free Last.fm or any of those things that require a US hostmask (or proxy, but that's a hassle). So now that I'm here, I want to reap all the benefits!

Of course, being denied all these things, I am ignorant of how deep the rabbit hole really goes. So tell me - what other internet stuff is region-locked to the US so I can lord it over the people I left behind, and also perhaps use it? :smalltongue:

Rawhide
2013-08-07, 06:23 PM
Well, things will be cheaper in general now that you don't need to pay the "Not Having to Live in America Tax".

Traab
2013-08-07, 06:26 PM
Yeah but you still have to pay the Superior American Living Existence Surcharge on virtually every purchase to replace it.

JoshL
2013-08-07, 07:03 PM
Some meatspace perks to living in Pittsburgh:
The Mattress Factory (http://www.mattress.org) one of my favorite museums! Also, don't miss the Carnegie International (http://www.cmoa.org/) which starts in October and runs through the spring. They do it once every 5 or 6 years, and there's always good stuff.
There's also a pretty good Film Festival (http://3rff.com/) every year. Lots of good eating around town too. I case you can't tell, I kinda love it here :smallbiggrin:

As for internet things, most things I do online are either international friendly or I don't notice so much. eBay is a bit nicer to use, since all those people who don't ship to international customers will happily send you stuff now.

Randomguy
2013-08-07, 07:05 PM
You won't have to deal with any of those "this video is not available in your country" anymore when trying to watch the Colbert Report online.

Don Julio Anejo
2013-08-07, 07:23 PM
You can actually get about 80% of US media with Unblock-US (link (www.unblock-us.com)).

If you're into guns, well, rednecks ahoy.

Regular food or unhealthy food is really cheap. Nice organic or ethnic food is more expensive. Good if you like frozen pizza and hamburgers, bad if you like free-range eggs, lean meat and kinoir (sp?).

Have fun paying your medical insurance, if you want the same coverage as in Canada, it'll eat up any difference in lower taxes and MSP costs.

Pittsburgh has fewer Chinese/Indian people so expect to mostly hear English. Even though Toronto isn't as bad as Vancouver in this regard, where you can go days without hearing someone say anything in English in a lot of neighbourhoods.

Hockey tickets are way cheaper.

Car insurance and gas cost less.

Cell phone bills are lower because the US doesn't have a cartel monopoly like we do with Bell, Telus and Rogers (most other carriers like Koodo or Fido are owned by them too to drive out any potential competition).

Restaurants that don't exist in Canada like Olive Garden, Applebee's or Hooters.

celtois
2013-08-07, 07:29 PM
Restaurants that don't exist in Canada like Olive Garden, Applebee's or Hooters.

As an aside. You can find all three of those restaurants in Western Canada. Olive Garden was a favourite of mine growing up in the prairie provinces. :smallsmile:

Surrealistik
2013-08-07, 07:45 PM
Paying for your health care.

Well, directly anyways, and to a (much) greater extent.

thubby
2013-08-07, 07:56 PM
it's somewhat ironic that americans are going to be the least likely to know what is region locked. that said, netflix and (i think) hulu.

Mauve Shirt
2013-08-07, 08:04 PM
Well, from Pittsburgh you have easy access to at least 6 playgrounders and can organize your own political movement. Or at least a meetup.

Brother Oni
2013-08-08, 03:06 AM
I've been told that poutine is fairly hard to get in the US, so you may need to feast ravenously partake sensibly whenever you go back to Canada.

Togath
2013-08-08, 03:20 AM
what is poutine?
Is it anything like a geoduck?

thubby
2013-08-08, 03:26 AM
what is poutine?

frenchfries, gravy, cheese curd. a trainwreck for any digestive tract

Togath
2013-08-08, 03:29 AM
ah.. nothing at all like a geoduck then.
Sounds sort of like bangers and mash(though they lack the cheese)..
How close is it flavour/texture-wise?

Don Julio Anejo
2013-08-08, 03:51 AM
Nothing like. More like.. french fries with molten feta and gravy. Really rich, really good and still fewer calories than most burgers.

Arcanist
2013-08-08, 05:00 AM
frenchfries, gravy, cheese curd.

OH GOD! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE! :smallbiggrin:

OT: One of the benefits of living in the US is that you won't have to suffer in the dreaded annexation of Canada in the next 53 years. :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2013-08-08, 05:05 AM
Nonsense, Arcanist, we'll go to war with Mexico long before we annex Canada. :smalltongue:

Arcanist
2013-08-08, 05:22 AM
Nonsense, Arcanist, we'll go to war with Mexico long before we annex Canada. :smalltongue:

We must take Canada! Only then will we have absolute control over the worlds supply of poutine... Then!? THE WORLD WILL BE AT OUR KNEES!!!! :smallbiggrin:

JoshL
2013-08-08, 07:38 AM
Related note: one of the regional dishes around here is a sandwich with fries and coleslaw on it. History here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primanti_Brothers (I'm not a fan, but it's worth going to Primanti's once. Coleslaw is way too pepper-y for my tastes). As a result, fries as a condiment are not uncommon around here, so you'll get them on salads all the time.

Closer to poutine, there's a local diner (Tom's Diner) that does "spicy gyro fries". Fries, with gyro meat, feta and covered in hot sauce. They are fantastic! However, their location in the city proper closed, so they only have the one in the suburbs now (Dormont)

Oh, and cheese curds. They're not really a thing around here. Every time I'm back in Central NY, I stock up on cheese curds.

Don Julio Anejo
2013-08-08, 08:34 AM
OT: One of the benefits of living in the US is that you won't have to suffer in the dreaded annexation of Canada in the next 53 years. :smallbiggrin:
Objection! It happens 46 years from now.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2013-08-08, 09:37 AM

I've totes been to a Hooters in Toronto. They have them. They're just not common. And I think I've seen a few Applebee's here too. Never an Olive Garden.

FLICKERDART THO.

FLICKERDART.

Y.

Why move away from your true and native land, abandon the true north, strong and free :smallfrown:

Finlam
2013-08-08, 11:06 AM
Moved to the US; what are the perks?

Since no else said it yet:

FREEDOM!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8Yp_TkHBc24/TLeyZVYM8DI/AAAAAAAAA_U/TG1RXtPueb8/s400/Eagle.jpg
http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/Clinton.jpg
http://speakingup4me.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/explosion.jpg

Telonius
2013-08-08, 11:46 AM
There are apparently Tim Horton's in Pittsburgh, so there are at least a few of the comforts of home you won't have to live without.

One nice perk about Pennsylvania in particular: no sales tax on clothes. (Must have been half of my hometown's economy based on Canadians coming in by the busload to buy clothes).

EDIT: Yeah, I'm pretty sure Netflix and Hulu have some region-locked things, as well as Amazon Prime.

Surrealistik
2013-08-08, 07:39 PM
I've totes been to a Hooters in Toronto. They have them. They're just not common. And I think I've seen a few Applebee's here too. Never an Olive Garden.

Olive Garden existed in TO but withdrew as it couldn't compete with the slew of vastly superior Greek ma and pa restaurants along the Danforth; true story.

Haruki-kun
2013-08-08, 09:20 PM
FLICKERDART THO.

FLICKERDART.

Y.

Why move away from your true and native land, abandon the true north, strong and free :smallfrown:

Some of us like living south of the Wall, you wildling. :smalltongue:

@Flickerdart: Beef jerky. They sell it everywhere. Best thing ever.

Arcanist
2013-08-08, 09:52 PM

Fallout references :smallcool:

Olive Garden existed in TO but withdrew as it couldn't compete with the slew of vastly superior Greek ma and pa restaurants along the Danforth; true story.

Why can't this happen in America? :smallconfused: I like Ma & Pa diners :smallfrown: They always make you feel welcome and warm and when you want the temperature risen they give you the most adorable and lovely smile before saying "Aww, just 5 degress and some hot coco".

... I miss my youth :smallannoyed:

JoshL
2013-08-09, 07:56 AM
It should happen, but there's certainly a culture of chains around here. People like knowing what to expect...knowing that the mcdonalds burger in topeka will be the same as the one they had in dallas. I mean, some people actually DRINK starbucks coffee! Jokes aside, there are tons of great independent restaurants around and you certainly don't need to eat at any chains unless you want to. I'm a bit of a stickler for local business myself...why go to Olive Garden when there are a ton of local Italian restaurants (most of which are cheaper and better!) I think Pittsburgh is better than most in the local to chain ratio. And I can give you plenty of recommendations!

(if you like Thai, Bangkok Balcony in Squirrel Hill is fantastic, and the fried tofu appetizer is one of my favorites. Also, there's a neighborhood called Squirrel Hill. SQUIRREL HILL!!!!)

Alejandro
2013-08-09, 09:06 AM
It should happen, but there's certainly a culture of chains around here. People like knowing what to expect...knowing that the mcdonalds burger in topeka will be the same as the one they had in dallas. I mean, some people actually DRINK starbucks coffee! Jokes aside, there are tons of great independent restaurants around and you certainly don't need to eat at any chains unless you want to. I'm a bit of a stickler for local business myself...why go to Olive Garden when there are a ton of local Italian restaurants (most of which are cheaper and better!) I think Pittsburgh is better than most in the local to chain ratio. And I can give you plenty of recommendations!

(if you like Thai, Bangkok Balcony in Squirrel Hill is fantastic, and the fried tofu appetizer is one of my favorites. Also, there's a neighborhood called Squirrel Hill. SQUIRREL HILL!!!!)

I would rather punch myself in the junk, than eat at an Olive Garden.

Mando Knight
2013-08-09, 12:17 PM
I think Pittsburgh is better than most in the local to chain ratio.
It's more that the city you know best is better than others in the local to chain ratio.

Karoht
2013-08-09, 01:05 PM
Google up Get Lucky Colbert Report.

That right there is a perk on it's own.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2013-08-09, 01:18 PM

I love this story.

Some of us like living south of the Wall, you wildling. :smalltongue:

@Flickerdart: Beef jerky. They sell it everywhere. Best thing ever.

Some of us like not burning to death half the year. :smalltongue:

MoonCat
2013-08-09, 01:38 PM

A geoduck-attuned Washingtonian? Are you on the Olympic Peninsula?

Flickerdart
2013-08-09, 02:35 PM

FLICKERDART THO.

FLICKERDART.

Y.

a) Canada isn't my native land;
b) I could ask you the same thing, you Frenchie traitor :smalltongue: ;
c) Grad school.

Traab
2013-08-10, 11:43 AM

Thats when translated from american to canadian years.

I would rather punch myself in the junk, than eat at an Olive Garden.

HEATHEN! Their endless soup salad and breadsticks is an incredible lunch time meal.

An Enemy Spy
2013-08-10, 11:56 AM
Welcome to America! Be sure to pick up your complimentary gun at your nearest grocery outlet.

Don Julio Anejo
2013-08-10, 02:19 PM
Thats when translated from american to canadian years.
Well, we do use the metric system so she looks like she's turning 18, not 17.. oh wait, wrong reference.

But I'm just going to let that go by because I'm such a perfect gentleman.

Arcanist
2013-08-10, 11:30 PM
HEATHEN! Their endless soup salad and breadsticks is an incredible lunch time meal.

That is the problem with those endless breaksticks! THEY'RE ENDLESS! I remember one time me and some friends ate at Olive Garden because... Delicious? And we got as many bags of breadsticks as we possibly can. We then proceeded to throw them at people who were waiting at cross walks.

Endless breadsticks... :smallamused:

Douglas
2013-08-11, 02:47 AM
Welcome to America! Be sure to pick up your complimentary gun at your nearest grocery outlet.
No, that's Switzerland.:smalltongue:
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/6236/450pxcarolinemigrosp100eu7.jpg

Brother Oni
2013-08-11, 11:05 AM
No, that's Switzerland.:smalltongue:

Or Texas. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2013-08-11, 11:17 AM
The gun's not complementary over here, you have to serve a year in the military for that :smalltongue:

Marillion
2013-08-11, 11:24 AM
Regular food or unhealthy food is really cheap. Nice organic or ethnic food is more expensive. Good if you like frozen pizza and hamburgers, bad if you like free-range eggs, lean meat and kinoir (sp?).

Quinoa?

And for perks, you'll be closer to gencon!

Surrealistik
2013-08-11, 11:26 AM
The gun's not complementary over here, you have to serve a year in the military for that :smalltongue:

And the munitions for it are kept at your friendly local armoury.

tomandtish
2013-08-13, 11:33 AM
No one's mentioned the best thing you can get here:

BBQ. There's nothing like good BBQ. Hopefully someone in the Pittsburg area can direct you to a good place.

Things to pay attention to:

1) Sauce is irrelevant. If it needs sauce it isn't good BBQ.

2) You'll know it's good when you have to be in line at 8am to make sure you get some.

3) In my experience, there's no such thing as a good BBQ chain. If they have more than 3 locations, avoid them.

4) That thing the size of your forearm is a beef rib. Tasty food and a weapon all in one. Definitely try one.

5) Sauce is irrelevant. If it needs sauce it isn't good BBQ.

6) Good sausage should actually have a 'snap" when you break it in half. Listen for it.

7) If the smokers are not on the premises, turn around and walk out the door.

8) Pork ribs..... Mmmmm Pork ribs.......

9) If offered a choice between lean and moist brisket, always choose moist.

and most importantly...

10) Sauce is irrelevant. If it needs sauce it isn't good BBQ!

Falconer
2013-08-13, 11:54 AM
1. Everything's free in America (for a small fee in America)
2. Skyscrapers bloom in America
3. Cadillacs zoom in America
4. Industry boom in America
5. Life can be bright in America (if you can fight in America)

The West Side Story (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Theatre/WestSideStory?from=Main.WestSideStory) could be considered a perk :smalltongue:

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-08-13, 11:55 AM
Go to the restaurant - Fat Heads. You will thank me.

Go to the PA Grand Canyon.

Enjoy Hienz ketchup.

Visit the mall they filmed Dawn of the Dead.

Visit Philadelphia.

Visit Chicago.

That's all I've got at the moment.

Castaras
2013-08-13, 12:22 PM
*snip*

But... you can do BBQs in any country... :smallconfused:

We had an amazing bbq and someone bought what was practically half a pig. Filled up the entire grill and took forever to cook, but smelt and tasted amazing.

Eldan
2013-08-13, 12:27 PM
You can get Heinz ketchup anywhere. Or at least I assume you can, since you can get it in Europe.

I think it's the only brand of Ketchup I've ever seen.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-08-13, 12:34 PM
You can get Heinz ketchup anywhere. Or at least I assume you can, since you can get it in Europe.

I think it's the only brand of Ketchup I've ever seen.

Ah! but it isn't "fresh" from the original factory. The label is actually in the shape of the Pennsylvainia state symbol. Either way, I did not know it was internationally distributed. Good to know!

Traab
2013-08-13, 01:19 PM

We had an amazing bbq and someone bought what was practically half a pig. Filled up the entire grill and took forever to cook, but smelt and tasted amazing.

Yeah, but americans do it RIGHT. You know, just like we know how to speak real english, use real units of measurement, and drive on the proper side of the road, we also do bbq better than anywhere.

tomandtish
2013-08-13, 01:25 PM

While anyone can make BBQ (in theory), finding good BBQ made by someone else when you lack the time/ability/space to do it yourself is something else. You can find a lot of good places to buy BBQ here.

If you can make your own good BBQ, that's always preferred and I'd never try and argue otherwise. But a lot of people can't (for various reasons).

snoopy13a
2013-08-13, 03:25 PM
I just moved to Pittsburgh from Toronto. Being a freeloading Canuck, I wasn't allowed to use Pandora or get free Last.fm or any of those things that require a US hostmask (or proxy, but that's a hassle). So now that I'm here, I want to reap all the benefits!

Of course, being denied all these things, I am ignorant of how deep the rabbit hole really goes. So tell me - what other internet stuff is region-locked to the US so I can lord it over the people I left behind, and also perhaps use it? :smalltongue:

Hmm, benefits of the U.S. over Canada,

(1) We have better football (the CFL is bad)
(2) We don't have the Queen of England on our currency
(3) We have better hair (Canada is the land of "hockey hair," aka mullets)
(4) Actually, that's about it.

Karoht
2013-08-13, 04:02 PM
Hmm, benefits of the U.S. over Canada,
(1) We have better football (the CFL is bad)I'm sorry, I'm just not sure how you qualify what we do in 3 downs that takes you 4 downs to accomplish as somehow 'bad' exactly. But hey, different strokes.

(2) We don't have the Queen of England on our currencyShe's on one bill. Much like how George Washington is on one bill. The rest of our currency has former Prime Ministers, much like yours has former presidents and founding fathers.

(3) We have better hair (Canada is the land of "hockey hair," aka mullets)Fast Fact-While mullets have been around for a long time, Americans are credited with popularizing the hairstyle in the 60's and 70's.
And as a citizen of Canada, the last time I saw a mullet was on American TV.

snoopy13a
2013-08-13, 05:21 PM
Fast Fact-While mullets have been around for a long time, Americans are credited with popularizing the hairstyle in the 60's and 70's.
And as a citizen of Canada, the last time I saw a mullet was on American TV.

Ironically enough, perhaps the greatest mullet of all time was Jaromir Jagr's during his time with Pittsburgh.

JoshL
2013-08-13, 06:40 PM
Sadly, it's been a long time since Heinz ketchup was made here. The factory has been turned into loft apartments (which is actually sort of cool). 15 years ago they were still making it, but oddly only the ketchup packets you get in restaurants. Either way, it's good stuff. They also no longer make Iron City Beer around here, which is good because it was awful, but sad because I live across the street from the brewery and used to love smelling the roasting hops.

Oh! And the local science center has a monthly 21+ night! It's not as good as Toronto's science center though, so 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

They also just knit-bombed one of the bridges (there are a LOT of those around town...second to Venice, if memory serves). It looks pretty neat!

Karoht
2013-08-14, 10:06 AM
Ironically enough, perhaps the greatest mullet of all time was Jaromir Jagr's during his time with Pittsburgh.Agreed. Epic mullet that one.
He's from Czech Republic btw. Not sure if he has Canadian or American citizenship, not that it matters. I'm really not going to split hairs on a mullet that awesome. :smallwink:

Aedilred
2013-08-14, 10:33 AM
Yeah, but americans do it RIGHT... we also do bbq better than anywhere.
Isn't that practically a declaration of war against Australia?

Rawhide
2013-08-14, 10:46 AM
Isn't that practically a declaration of war against Australia?

Eh. Declaring that the American definition of barbecuing is correct might be. What we call barbecuing, they call grilling. But their definition of grilling is also incorrect! What we call grilling is apparently called broiling over there.

Mando Knight
2013-08-14, 11:09 AM
Eh. Declaring that the American definition of barbecuing is correct might be. What we call barbecuing, they call grilling. But their definition of grilling is also incorrect! What we call grilling is apparently called broiling over there.

And Brits think fries are chips and cookies are biscuits. When all major countries in the Anglosphere agree on one common parlance, the sun will grow dark, the moon will turn to blood, the US will annex Canada and make a nuke-throwing giant robot to defend Alaska, etc.

...Wait, that might actually be kinda cool. Citizens for the apocalypse!

Palanan
2013-08-15, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Gwyn
Some of us like not burning to death half the year. :smalltongue:

Some of us like going on 30-mile bike rides in 95 degrees and 95% humidity. Different strokes and all that.

Originally Posted by Flickerdart
c) Grad school.

So, no Madeira?

Originally Posted by Castaras
But... you can do BBQs in any country...

Or better yet, Brazilian churrasco, which to my taste is infinitely better.

For best ironic flavor, have Brazilian churrasco in Texas.

:smallamused:

Flickerdart
2013-08-16, 10:11 AM
I found this site (http://cantada.ca/) that might be useful to people in the same situation as myself.

So, no Madeira?
Nope.

Crow
2013-08-18, 09:01 PM
Ah, Pittsburgh. Land of the ugliest people on earth...and the Steelers. Can't forget the Steelers.

Flickerdart
2013-08-18, 10:27 PM
Ah, Pittsburgh. Land of the ugliest people on earth...and the Steelers. Can't forget the Steelers.
Heh, my class has a lot of absolutely stunning girls but they're all married. :smallfrown:

Palanan
2013-08-18, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Crow
Ah, Pittsburgh. Land of the ugliest people on earth....

I have no idea where you're getting this. I distinctly remember a very cute waitress.

warty goblin
2013-08-18, 11:22 PM

That's grilling, not really BBQ as I understand the term in its optimal employment. Personally I'm skeptical of any BBQ that doesn't follow something close to the following steps.

1) Take a gun, and several sharp knives.
2) Locate one pig.
3) Use the gun and knives to divest the pig of a functioning central nervous system and most of its blood.
4) Use some method, I like steam and a decent knife, scrape the pig to get the hair and outer layer of skin off.
5) Remove the internal organs, save the heart, liver and tongue.
6) Salt the body cavity, stuff with fruits, vegetables and any organs you saved. This is technically optional, but tastes damn fine. Dried figs are like sex for your mouth when steeped in hot pig juices for hours. And heart meat is the best.
7) Put the pig over hot coals with minimal exposure to outside air for, at minimum, eight hours. You can cook slower and longer, but I find this plenty slow. It melts in the mouth.

Obviously one may not have the facilities and/or zoning rights to slaughter the hog oneself, but the skin really should stay on. It just keeps so much flavor in. Grilled meat is good, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't tend to have the depth of flavor that a long, slow cook in its own juices can manage. Best part is that this is super easy!