PDA

View Full Version : Custom 3.5 Feat: Maim

Fortinbro
2013-08-07, 06:34 PM
Maim

Prerequisites: BAB+2, Power attack, weapon focus with the selected weapon.

Fighters may take this feat as a bonus feat.

Whenever the character rolls a critical hit with the selected weapon, they roll to confirm as normal. If the critical hit is confirmed and the target is no more than one size category larger, they may choose to instead of dealing extra damage maim or remove a specific body part. Choose one: of the following four options: Gouge out an eye (-2 penalty to attack rolls, and -4 to spot checks), sever an ear (-2 dex, -4 penalty to listen checks), Sever a hand (cannot use that hand for anything requiring it), or slashing an Achilles Tendon (-2 dex penalty, land movement speed halved if bipedal). All of these wounds cause the subject to BLEED dealing 1d6 x the weapon's critical modifier damage per round unless affected by a cure spell. Maimed parts can be re-attached or repaired if they are preserved using a heal check DC:20. The surgery takes one hour. They can be re-grown with the restoration spell.

-I made this feat to implement pseudo called shots basically.

Quiddle
2013-08-25, 01:23 AM
Maim
All of these wounds cause the subject to BLEED dealing 1d6 x the weapon's critical modifier damage per round unless affected by a cure spell.
so this lasts indefinitely until magically healed?

Amridell
2013-08-25, 03:24 AM
so this lasts indefinitely until magically healed?

Yeah this could be an issue. I suggest you remove the bleed entirely or make it 1d4/round, and any healing stops it, or a heal check to stabilize.

redfeline
2013-08-25, 12:28 PM
I agree with reducing or removing the bleed. I mean the bleed damage alone is better then the crit damage. Especailly if I am playing something like a halfling with a kukri.

Another option would be to move the bleed damage to say vitals and have it be another hit location.

I like the feat, but the bleed damage is to much.

Mangles
2013-08-25, 06:53 PM
I feel this is too constrictive to be useful.

Normally a person gets 19-20 x2 or something critical. As long as they only fight monsters large or smaller they can cripple the opponent effectively killing it. However if a monster is Immune to critical hits, more than 1 size category larger than you or you simply don't crit and confirm, then this feat does nothing.

Best case scenario, you get a keen scimitar and you took the improved critical feat you crit on a 12-20 roll. You now can reliably apply this to anyone who is within 1 size category and not immune to critical hits about a 16% of all your strikes. That's pretty low odds for something that took 4 feat to get.

I would recommend you allowing this to apply to creatures you can't normally critical strike on, however no bleed damage there. That way it has a use as a replacement when fighting undead or constructs.

An improved version on this feat could be taken to increase size difference and bolster crit confirm when trying to maim a creature.

Deremir
2013-08-25, 07:44 PM
dosent seam usefull enuf, i mean, a crit that hits the eye? if im a dm and a ctit hits a eye it goes through the eye and kills the thing. and even when its not something like that its a runthrough thats hittling a major organ or severing a limb

kreenlover
2013-08-25, 07:56 PM
I think you may be looking for this (http://paizo.com/products/btpy872f)

Network
2013-08-25, 09:38 PM
I think you may be looking for this (http://paizo.com/products/btpy872f)
This (http://www.purpleduckgames.com/rdpcf) may also be relevant, altough there isn't much place for random effects.

redfeline
2013-08-25, 10:20 PM
I feel this is too constrictive to be useful.

Normally a person gets 19-20 x2 or something critical. As long as they only fight monsters large or smaller they can cripple the opponent effectively killing it. However if a monster is Immune to critical hits, more than 1 size category larger than you or you simply don't crit and confirm, then this feat does nothing.

Best case scenario, you get a keen scimitar and you took the improved critical feat you crit on a 12-20 roll. You now can reliably apply this to anyone who is within 1 size category and not immune to critical hits about a 16% of all your strikes. That's pretty low odds for something that took 4 feat to get.

I would recommend you allowing this to apply to creatures you can't normally critical strike on, however no bleed damage there. That way it has a use as a replacement when fighting undead or constructs.

An improved version on this feat could be taken to increase size difference and bolster crit confirm when trying to maim a creature.

I would agree with letting this work on constructs or undead provided the logic is aviable. Can't hit a skeleton in the eye.

But just so your aware you can't stack a keen weapon and improved crit, and the above math works out to 45% assuming you can confirm the crit. Even with out the feat and keen stacking the chance is 30% more then worth it in my opinion.