PDA

View Full Version : Witch build help

XenoGeno
2013-08-07, 06:56 PM
I'm going to be playing in a Pathfinder one-shot soon, level three. I'm not super-familiar with the differences between PF and 3.5, but comfortable enough to make a character for myself I know I'll be happy with. HOWEVER, my girlfriend will also be gaming with me, pretty much for her first time, and I want to make sure she plays a character who can pretty much always contribute something to combat so she won't get bored (I trust in her ability to roleplay enough that I don't think she'll get bored in non-combat situations). She's interested in the witch, and it looks like something along those lines with the class's hexes. Any suggestions as to what specific hexes, spells, and feats she should take?

Hruken
2013-08-07, 08:17 PM
Hexes - Slumber, Evil Eye, Misfortune, Fortune, Cackle
These are the standard, base hexes that pretty much any witch will be advised to take.
Other ones to consider - Flight, Healing, Prehensile Hair, Scar, Tongues

For spells, summoning is always a decent option, I personally like ear piercing scream, vomit swarm, blindness/deafness, obscuring mist, glitterdust, hold person, web.

Feats - Accursed Hex is pretty much required, improved initiative is good, ability focus if your DM lets you take monster feats (mine doesn't, sadly), and don't be afraid to go extra hex.

XenoGeno
2013-08-08, 01:59 PM
Thanks, just the sort of suggestions I was looking for!

Barstro
2013-08-08, 02:23 PM
I will mildly disagree with Hruken for one reason; With a one-shot level three adventure, I don't think Slumber is needed. The reason it is a great hex is that it is useful in later levels. Not needed for a low game. Same for Accursed Hex.

I'm in a low game right now with a witch and I use Evil Eye and Cackle all the time. They have been vital for the fights.

Word of caution; if your girlfriend finds doing the same thing over and over to be boring, then a Witch is not for her. Every fight will be; I use Evil Eye (Def/Att/check), and I Cackle, so I cannot move. That's it. Round after round. She will never attack and she will never have the opportunity to use an offensive spell. But, the team will love her.

If you still think Witch is the way to go, I suggest;
Hexes; Evil Eye, Cackle, Misfortune, Slumber (or Fortune), in that order.
Feats; Extra Hex (to speed up above), Improved Initiative (so she can get a hex out before anyone attacks or is attacked). Accursed Hex is good, but not needed at this low a level since Evil Eye works even if there is a save and Cackle still keeps it going.

Pick spells based on out-of-combat situations. She won't get the chance to use them during a fight. The only spell I've found worth delaying a hex is Enlarge Person on the main Melee.

XenoGeno
2013-08-09, 11:25 AM
Also thanks! I haven't played PF since it was in Beta, so I'm completely unfamiliar with everything Witch related, and the sheer number of feats/ACFs/etc in the SRD was a bit overwhelming. And I think she'll be fine with that; I just look back at my previous groups and think of who had the least amount of fun, and I think of generally the people who played martial classes and would charge up to the enemy, attack, either miss or not deal enough to kill the baddie, and get smacked for their trouble. I think she'll enjoy the witch, with enough utility in her spells and debuffs in her hexes to keep her entertained.