PDA

View Full Version : Bow range question

relytdan
2013-08-07, 07:23 PM
I know this is covered in a few spots just wondered if this is the maximum range possible without spells -
composite greatbow 130ft
long range dm358 p41 +20ft
deepwood sniper PRC lvl10 +100ft
far shot phb +50% range
range weapon mastery feat phb2 p82 +20ft
Distance weapon enhancement dmg p224 x2 range
Cragtop Archer PRC lvl 3 15 range increments

With the above I could see a range around 13,050ft - so is it possible to go farther without spells?

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-07, 07:25 PM
a range increment of "as far as you can see" is easy to achieve.

edit: assuming you have the cash to pay for it that is.

Reinkai
2013-08-07, 07:32 PM
I'm trying to figure out what the purpose of this is... no sane DM would allow you to shoot that far. They'd let you ignore range increments in combat, but they wouldn't let you snipe people 2.5 miles away.

Verditude
2013-08-07, 07:43 PM
1. Be an old or older dragonwrought kobold; you qualify for epic feats.
2. Take a level of martial monk, from Dragon 310; instead of the monk bonus feat, you choose from any fighter feat, and ignore prerequisites when picking.
3. Take the epic feat Distant Shot (SRD). You can now shoot at anything you can see, no range penalties.

If Martial Monk is disallowed, you can take 18 levels of whatever as a dragonwrought kobold and qualify anyway.

relytdan
2013-08-07, 07:44 PM
I'm trying to figure out what the purpose of this is... no sane DM would allow you to shoot that far. They'd let you ignore range increments in combat, but they wouldn't let you snipe people 2.5 miles away.

Purpose - as DM I am having an archery competition they players cant outright win but can get 2nd so I need to know the maximum range possible without spells

zlefin
2013-08-07, 07:52 PM
i'm not aware of anything to add to that pre-epic. Epic of course has the distant shot feat.

Reinkai
2013-08-07, 08:45 PM
Ah, interesting. In that case, may I make a suggestion? Consider not doing the competition based on range. Do it based on hitting targets under specific scenarios. The range increment only allows you to negate penalties based on distance. So it makes no logical difference if you can make an attack roll on a target that's 13,050 feet away if your target is only 20 feet away.

Furthermore, your attack at that distance only takes no penalties due to distance, that doesn't necessarily mean that your attack bonus is high enough to successfully hit.

I would recommend instead doing something based on a full attack action combined with the current attack bonus. So for example, a fighter that can make four attacks a round with rapid shot or five while hasted, at a large attack bonus hitting a target with an AC of 35. See how many attacks hit. Attacks that miss by 5-9 are half the points, and attacks that miss by 10-15 are 1/4 of the points. Anything that misses by more than 15 is nothing.

You can easily fudge the rolls if needed for purposes of the story. Obviously characters that have less attacks in a full round action will not be able to score as high, and neither will characters without the attack bonus. On top of that, the competition isn't automatically going to the character who has a longbow instead of the one with a shortbow.

relytdan
2013-08-08, 08:39 AM
actually the competition is in stages
bow-short, long, great
xbow -hand, light, heavy, light/heavy repeating, great

stage 1 : how fast or how many targets can be hit in X time
stage 2 : distance
stage 3 : trick shots
stage 4 : pairings of top 2-4 - then random weapon assignment to them, and random repeated stage, until 2nd place is decided