PDA

View Full Version : tiefling duelist optimization build for 3.5

Ringtail69
2013-08-07, 10:45 PM
i am making a level ten tiefling character that i would like to level into duelist and use two weapons (i was thinking cutlass and dagger with weapon finesse?). besides the requirements to take the class what are some good feats to help me contribute to any fights that the party will get in?

also are there any good magic items or abilities for my gear that will also help me?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-07, 10:57 PM
I'd reconsider the TWF bit-- it's one of the weakest strategies, it's feat-intensive (and you're already taking two crappy feats for your PrC), and it's not compatible with Precise Strike.

Anyway, feats... you've already had to take Dodge and Mobility, so you may as well grab Spring Attack to get something useful from that line. The PHB 2 has additional feats (Bounded Assault and Rapid Blitz) that let you spring attack more foes, so that could be fun.

The Einhander feat (PHB 2 again) is the only thing I can think of outside of the Duelist itself that boosts the one-weapon, one-open-hand style of combat.

The Shadow Blade feat from Tome of Battle will let you use your Dex for damage, although it pretty much requires you to dip Swordsage for a level to get the prerequisite stance.

Ringtail69
2013-08-07, 11:03 PM
The Shadow Blade feat from Tome of Battle will let you use your Dex for damage, although it pretty much requires you to dip Swordsage for a level to get the prerequisite stance.

would i not be able to use my dex for damage with weapon finesse?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-07, 11:11 PM
would i not be able to use my dex for damage with weapon finesse?
Weapon finesse is only attack, sad to say (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#weaponFinesse). And only for certain weapons.

Ringtail69
2013-08-07, 11:31 PM
but according to stormwrack, a cutlass is a light weapon so i could use weapon finesse with it?

morkendi
2013-08-08, 06:04 AM
Needing dodge and mobility, you may want to take a 2 level dip into cobra strike monk which also picks up evasion. Also look at the elusive target feat from complete warrior, it is a very nice feat. I think duelist need perform as well which is monk class skill. Plus the wis to ac and saves from a 2 lvl dip wouldn't hurt. Would delay entry 1 lvl depending on how you planed entry in the first place.

Darrin
2013-08-08, 06:30 AM
but according to stormwrack, a cutlass is a light weapon so i could use weapon finesse with it?

Yes. It's essentially identical to a shortsword except it's a slashing weapon. From a TWF standpoint, it may be more efficient to use two cutlasses, so things like Weapon Focus apply to both your weapons. However, you also lose out on some utility by not using a one-handed weapon as your primary: you can use Power Attack with a one-handed weapon, and you can grip it with two hands to get a higher Str bonus on damage. But if you don't have Power Attack or a decent Str bonus, this is a moot point.

Duelist is a terrible PrC, even by the "we don't really know what we're doing quite yet" standards of the DMG. The only way to get it to work with TWF is to take Improved Unarmed Strike + Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHBII) so your unarmed strikes count as slashing weapons.

My TWF OffHandbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15034585) has some more detailed advice for doing TWF properly, but unfortunately I need to get off my tuchas and finish the equipment/magic item section.

If you're going to use Tiefling, see if you can use a Lesser Planetouched version (Player's Guide to Faerun) or a Savage Progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) Tiefling.

If you want more specific advice on magic items, then a budget and a list of available sourcebooks would help.

gorfnab
2013-08-08, 10:08 AM
Here is a Duelist build I came up with a while ago.

Human or Strongheart Halfling
1. Cobra Strike (UA) Deceptive Strike (PHBII) Monk - Camendine Monk, Combat Expertise, B: Dodge
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - B: Mobility
3. Swashbuckler - Deadly Defense, B: Weapon Finesse
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander
10. Thief Acrobat
11. Warblade
12. Warblade or Duelist - Ironheart Aura
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Stormgaurd Warrior
19. Duelist
20. Duelist

Levels 10 through 12 can be rearranged depending on your needs. The current setup gives you Improved Evasion and Uncanny Dodge at these levels. However if you don't need Improved Evasion take one less level of Thief Acrobat and move the first level of Warblade to level 10. If you don't need Uncanny Dodge don't take the 2nd level of Warblade and instead go into Duelist a level early. If you don't need either abilities take Warblade at level 10 and enter Duelist at level 11.

If flaws are available pick up EWP: Broadblade Shortsword (pre-errata version if possible) or Versatile Unarmed Strike and Snap Kick (may need to rearrange later feats). If traits are available pick up Cautious.

The Monk and Swashbuckler levels (levels 1 through 5) can be switched around to taste. I personally like Swash 1/ Monk 2/ Swash 2

If you're looking at a Cutlass and Stormwrack you should consider going Scarlet Corsair instead of Duelist.

Ringtail69
2013-08-09, 12:06 AM
thank you guys for all the advice so far. as for specific magic items and the such i would get 49000 gp to spend on items and gear. and we are using phb 1&2, dmg 1&2, all of the completes, stormwrack, sandstorm, frostburn, cityscape and i think that is about it.