PDA

View Full Version : Pizza Crust

Bhu
2013-08-08, 12:22 AM
I am told I can make a suitable diabetic friendly pizza crust out of a mixture of eggs, cream cheese and parmesan, baking it and letting it cool, and then adding sauce and toppings to bake some more.

Has anyone tried this, and if so does it actually taste like food?

Togath
2013-08-08, 12:27 AM
why not flower and eggs?
Or flower and water by itself?

If one of them has a wheat allergy.. rice flower then?
You might also be able to make something using cornmeal I suppose.

do note, I admittedly, no pretty much nothing about diabetics.
They need to avoid sugar, aye?

thubby
2013-08-08, 12:41 AM
why not flower and eggs?
Or flower and water by itself?

If one of them has a wheat allergy.. rice flower then?
You might also be able to make something using cornmeal I suppose.

do note, I admittedly, no pretty much nothing about diabetics.
They need to avoid sugar, aye?

it's more about maintaining something reasonably constant. all food gets turned into sugar, but the danger is in how quickly the body processes white bread, causing sugar spikes.

Bhu, that sounds like a quiche, and not a very good one. it might be edible but I can't imagine it coming out remotely like pizza crust. i would look into whole grain and a thin crust.
whole grains are digested more slowly and cause less problems for diabetics.

Cespenar
2013-08-08, 01:11 AM
I second the thin, whole-grain crust. The thinness is necessary because whole-grain doesn't puff up as easily as "normal" white flour, so if you aim for the same thickness, whole-grain would end up in a pretty hard, lumpy way.

thubby
2013-08-08, 01:35 AM
well i was thinking to reduce the amount of bread involved in eating a pizza, but that's also true.

Lady Tialait
2013-08-08, 10:27 AM
I've made a diabetic safer pizza crust out of Cauliflower before. You grate about a full head of it finely, then soften it till it turns into a kind of goo. (Oddly enough, Microwave does a great job in about 5-8 mins.) Then you add an egg, some parm, mozzarella, garlic, and pepper.

You go with a low-sugar pizza sauce because that one will get you.

My mother in law passed away about a year ago, but she loved it and it didn't play too much havoc on her sugar levels at all.

Erloas
2013-08-08, 10:43 AM
I knew there were some, but I looked it up again just to make sure. (http://www.livestrong.com/article/291111-the-best-breads-for-a-low-glycemic-diet/)
Sourdough I had heard was low GI (and I'm pretty sure GI and diabetic issues are almost synonymous) and according to that so is whole wheat and the best is pumpernickel. I really like pumpernickel, though I don't know how well it would go over in pizza.

I've heard of sourdough pizza before but I've never tried it. It sounds like it would be pretty good with some toppings. It is one of the more involved types of breads to make from what I've heard, but I haven't tried to make it personally.

Whole wheat I think would mostly depend on the type of whole wheat, some are very dense and have a lot of "larger pieces" (for lack of a better way of saying it) to it then others and I don't think those would be very good with pizza.

THAC0
2013-08-08, 11:27 AM
Sourdough will be difficult if you aren't familiar with it already/don't already have a starter.

Serpentine
2013-08-08, 12:17 PM
I like making "pizzas" with big, flat mushrooms as the bases P:

thubby
2013-08-08, 12:48 PM
I like making "pizzas" with big, flat mushrooms as the bases P:

i have been alive for over 20 years and never thought of doing this...
wtf, brain?

Serpentine
2013-08-08, 12:53 PM
It's great! The one I made the other day, I brushed a bit of oil on the cap, cut off and chopped up the stalk, then smeared on a little bit of tomato paste on the underside of the cap. Topped it with the chopped up stalk, tomato, salami, bacon, pine nuts, garlic and cheese, stuck it in the oven for about 15 minutes. Nummy P:
(it does tend to lose a fair bit of liquid or juice onto the tray. It's really tasty liquid, though, and I feel like I should be able to do something with it.)

Traab
2013-08-09, 07:08 AM
It's great! The one I made the other day, I brushed a bit of oil on the cap, cut off and chopped up the stalk, then smeared on a little bit of tomato paste on the underside of the cap. Topped it with the chopped up stalk, tomato, salami, bacon, pine nuts, garlic and cheese, stuck it in the oven for about 15 minutes. Nummy P:
(it does tend to lose a fair bit of liquid or juice onto the tray. It's really tasty liquid, though, and I feel like I should be able to do something with it.)

You could probably use it as a sort of broth base to flavor an appropriate meal with. Kind of like how I use bacon grease to flavor my fried eggs. For a wonderful treat that is 100x as good tasting as it is good for you! :smallbiggrin: Or, more seriously, the water I use to boil up my chicken for home made pot pie is used as the base for the tasty gravy/broth base.

Bhu
2013-08-09, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys!

Ravens_cry
2013-08-09, 03:42 PM
You could probably use it as a sort of broth base to flavor an appropriate meal with. Kind of like how I use bacon grease to flavor my fried eggs. For a wonderful treat that is 100x as good tasting as it is good for you! :smallbiggrin: Or, more seriously, the water I use to boil up my chicken for home made pot pie is used as the base for the tasty gravy/broth base.

A lot of vegetable waters from steaming can be used as bases for soups. You got to pick the right one, broccoli tends to have a strong taste that can overpower other flavours and carrot water is very sweet, but, done right, it can be awesome and nutritious.

Karoht
2013-08-14, 01:01 PM

I like using a toaster oven for this application. Evenly warms through the mushroom 'crust' and still takes good care of the toppings.
It's amazing on a BBQ/Grill. Extremly tasty. My only advice, grill the bottom side first (the part you put toppings on), then freshly oil the top, put toppings on as normal, and then grill.

A lot of vegetable waters from steaming can be used as bases for soups. You got to pick the right one, broccoli tends to have a strong taste that can overpower other flavours and carrot water is very sweet, but, done right, it can be awesome and nutritious.I use that water to water my garden with. I just keep it aside until it cools and then dump it on the garden or into the compost box (the outdoor one) in the morning.