PDA

View Full Version : How to handle Completely encased in stone

flamewolf393
2013-08-08, 12:29 AM
I trapped a player by having a cleric drop a section of ceiling on him, then use shape stone to form a solid 5 foot thick block of stone around him, fitted exactly to his body with only a small airhole at his mouth to breath. First of all, what mechanics term would describe this best, entangled, pinned, helpless, what? And second of all, is there any mundane way to break out of this with a strength check. If there is no room for any movement would he have any leverage to even make a strength check?

Crasical
2013-08-08, 12:39 AM
I'd go with paralyzed and helpless. There isn't any note that I'm aware of about needing a minimum amount of motion to make a str check, and ~3 feet of solid stone (for a 5 foot block) is still in the neighborhood of a DC 50-60 needed to break it, which is pretty high.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-08, 12:45 AM
I'd go with helpless (because he is effectively bound, also helpless includes paralyzed) and give the stone a break DC of 50 and 540 HP with Hardness 8 (These are the stats for a 3ft. thick hewn (unworked) stone wall).

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-08, 12:48 AM
once you reach the "I can't move anything" stage, you could say he is any of a whole list of things. The real trick is why would it matter? nobody is going to be attacking him efficiently without letting him out.

I personally would say the rock has him pinned with some massive number bonus.

also, did the caster make it from the floor? if not then a strong enough person could lift him off the ground. if he is strong enough he might even be able to slowly move himself (toppling himself over being the easiest option imo).

edit: also, keep in mind it is easier to break thinner parts of the stone then make the whole thing go boom. Once he is loose then he could just slide out.