PDA

View Full Version : Grapple question

justiceforall
2013-08-08, 01:06 AM
My questions below are ones I felt weren't *clearly* covered in the grappling FAQs on the Wizards site. I could have course been missing something obvious, but can the rules-lawyers around please help me clarify the following?

- Does grappling allow iterative attacks? If so, does it allow iteratives on all possible options one can use in the grapple?
- Does grappling allow flurry of blows, two weapon fighting, etc?
- Does grappling (on the attempt itself) allow power-attack/expertise/other voluntary reduction effects?
- Can I use aid-another to assist a grapple in any way?
- Is the only use of escape-artist within a grapple to try and escape from it, or escape from a pin?

Deophaun
2013-08-08, 01:57 AM
- Does grappling allow iterative attacks? If so, does it allow iteratives on all possible options one can use in the grapple?
Yes, you still get iteratives, although you can only use unarmed strikes, natural weapons, and light weapons. In exchange for an attack, you can do the following: Damage Your Opponent, Escape from a Grapple (though using the Escape Artist skill makes it a standard action), Pin Your Opponent, Break Another's Pin, Use Opponent's Weapon. You take the appropriate iterative penalty regardless of the action (so if you're trying to pin on your second iterative, you take a -5)

- Does grappling allow flurry of blows, two weapon fighting, etc?
Flurry of blows? Yes (I think). Two weapon fighting? No. Attacking with two weapons is explicitly called out as not being possible.

Does grappling (on the attempt itself) allow power-attack/expertise/other voluntary reduction effects?
Depends what you mean by the attempt. Since part of grappling involves an attack roll to initiate, any of those abilities will apply the appropriate penalties to your attack roll. They will not, however, apply to your grapple check.

- Can I use aid-another to assist a grapple in any way?
Don't see why not. It's pretty open ended in what it can be used to aid with. Attacks, Defense, and Skills are just the ones explicitly called out. But the rules say "You can also use this standard action to help a friend in other ways." I think it might even be possible to aid another with a saving throw, now that I look at it.

- Is the only use of escape-artist within a grapple to try and escape from it, or escape from a pin?
Pretty much.

Gwendol
2013-08-08, 04:20 AM
On flurry: this is possible only because a monk can flurry with his hands full. Monks have other advantages in grapples being able to choose between dealing lethal and non-lethal damage without penalties, and dealing more damage than normal.

Yuki Akuma
2013-08-08, 04:24 AM
You can only Power Attack in a grapple if you're using an unarmed strike, a natural weapon, or a one-handed weapon that specifically lets you use it in a grapple. Otherwise, Power Attack doesn't work with light weapons.