PDA

View Full Version : How many of you Wizards leave spell slots open?

danzibr
2013-08-08, 06:17 AM
So if you leave a spell slot open you can fill it later with 15 free minutes (several, in fact). I'm curious as to how many people who play Wizards take advantage of this.

I've played casters, but always spontaneous casters. The thought of picking the wrong spell, at least 1 wrong spell anyway, always made me shy away from Wizards. At least Clerics can convert to healz (I always play good).

hymer
2013-08-08, 06:26 AM
I know of the rule, but I don't think I've ever used it. Wizards are bad enough without it, I think, and sufficiently annoying to their comrades without causing undue delay. There's nothing for breaking tension like saying that you're taking a fifteen minute study break.

danzibr
2013-08-08, 06:48 AM
I know of the rule, but I don't think I've ever used it. Wizards are bad enough without it, I think, and sufficiently annoying to their comrades without causing undue delay. There's nothing for breaking tension like saying that you're taking a fifteen minute study break.
Rogue: *returning from scouting ahead* I just found the bad dudes. *delivers relevant info*
Fighter: Let's go bash 'em!
Wizard: Hold up dudes, I need 15 minutes to study my spellbook.

Rastapopolos
2013-08-08, 07:25 AM
uncanny forethought solves this though as you can use a empty slot to cast any spell you know as a full round action with a -2 caster level. Weirdly this is the second post about UT ive made today...

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-08, 07:27 AM
At low levels I like to leave no slots open. At high levels, I tend to leave one slot open for each spell level.

Pearls of power reduce the need to prep spells twice, so you end up having tons of slots.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-08, 09:07 AM
Rogue: *returning from scouting ahead* I just found the bad dudes. *delivers relevant info*
Fighter: Let's go bash 'em!
Wizard: Hold up dudes, I need 15 minutes to study my spellbook.

I think the idea of leaving spell slot open is the other way round, Wizards prepare some combat spells to be ready for combat and leave the slots open for when they need an utility spell.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-08, 09:11 AM
The answer to did you prepare teleport can be a matter of ask again in 15min rather than one hour. Leaving one slot of decent level open (as you can prepare low level spells in higher slots if needed) means always being 15 min away from the right utility spell you need.