PDA

View Full Version : Azurin Totemist qualifying for War Shaper (best way?)

Krazzman
2013-08-08, 06:30 AM
Hello again playground,

I have a Problem about not really knowing how to build a character further.

Currently he is a Level 2 Azurin Totemist with Improved Unarmed Strike and Expanded Souldmeld Capacity.

At level 3 I am thinking about taking Multiattack and switch my Primary DMG Souldmeld from Sphinx Claws to Gorillion Arms.

And I really would like for him to get into Warshaper for "natural" Natural Weapons... but am afraid of dipping Barbarian/BearWarrior as this comes online rather late and now I am searching for a way to maybe get it via Soulmelds or Feats (or other dips).

If I knew that it were possible I would go with a Custom Lycanthrophe Template.

Possibilities I thought of:
Shapeshifting Druid 1 ( giving me the Wolf form... don't know if this suffices as the Alternate form of a Vampire doesn't count...)
Barbarian1/BearWarrior1 (works but only while raging)

Furthermore my sources are limited (Core + Completes + DS + UA + ToB + MoI + RoW and RoD + Faerun Books [but sadly not all])

Current statisic:
Azurin Totemist 2
Str: 17, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 12
HP 22 (2w8+6)
AC: 10 + 2(dex) +4(MW Chainshirt) +2 (Nat armor(0Ess)) +1 (Buckler)
Feats:
A: Improved Unarmed Strike
1: Expanded Soulmeld Capacity (Normally Sphinx Claws)

Soulmelds Shaped: 3 (normally: Sphinx Claws, Wormtail Belt, Pegasus Cloak or Kraken Mantle)
Binds: 1 (Normally Sphinx Claws)

Equipment:
Spyglasses
Standard Adventurer Kit
MW Chainshirt
Buckler
Shovel (Spade)

I hope you can help me with this as I can't find a way other than those I mentioned and with one I am not even sure.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-08-08, 07:14 AM
Easiest way would be to use one of the rituals from Savage Species to give yourself the Shapechanger subtype.
It's a little iffy if [Shapechanger] counts as a racial subtype and quite expensive at ~50000gp and 2000-3000xp though.

This article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) has the Quasilycanthrope template that grants you the Shapechanger subtype for +1 LA.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-08, 07:46 AM
There is the quasilycantrhope template (from a Web Article, would link it; but the page is blocked here at school), which gives you the shape-changer subtype gives you disguise self at will (which means you get the whole benefits from warshaper all day long); but you can only change minor qualities that make you more (or less) animalistic. You know fun stuff like longer nails (that aren't claws), shaggy hair and the like. It also gives DR 10/silver which is a livesaver at low level and functions as a tertiary defence at higher levels (also works wonder against "death by a thousand papercuts"-type monsters/rogues). All this for the low, low price of LA +1.

Edit: And I am swordsdage'd (by half an hour, for not checking the others posts thouroughly before posting myself :smallredface:

Krazzman
2013-08-08, 08:40 AM
Nice... this might be a way. I will be going to ask my DM about that.

One thing I didn't really get was the part about it being a "slumbering" template.
Will I get the bonuses only if I am bitten by a werewolf(or other lycan?). Do I get the level adjustment when I am bitten(and getting the bonus) or do I have the LA already and all bonus too?

The Savage Species Ritual is definitly off the table (in terms of price and source).

Krazzman
2013-08-09, 06:39 AM
If I can't get the template: which way would be better?

Shapeshifting Druid with an ACF to lose spells (as I don't want to need 2 hours of meditating in the morning) and just run around as a wolf with tentacles (and other shiny shapequipments?)
So Totemist 6/Shapeshifting Druid 1/Warshaper?
or
Totemist 8/Barbarian 1/Bear Warrior 1/Warshaper?
or Just going Totemist and ignoring Warshaper?

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-09, 08:04 AM
You want something you can idealy do all day.

I would recommend a level in egoist with the Shapeshifter ACF (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070314a). You get a changeling like ability to shapeshift into new cosmetic forms. This would meet the prerequisite while maintaining your ability to wear armor, talk, and use items.

Shapeshifing druids can't use their items while shifted. At low levels this isn't bad, but at high levels this gets crippling.