PDA

View Full Version : Rolling a Character in Preparation

The Kind Knido
2013-08-08, 09:10 AM
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1JH32XECrs3eXJVNWpQeTVTakE/edit?usp=sharing

So, I'm rolling a character for future use and to get some experience in making one, however, I can't seem to really grasp the ability scores.

I get the process of finding your base ability scores but not how to handle the racial bonuses and regular bonuses from rolls. I could probably find the pattern of roll bonuses, but I can't see myself being able to remember them very well.

The racial bonuses/class bonuses from say, my character, add and decrease the modifiers, and therefore, the totals.

I'm making this more complicated than it should be, aren't I?

And yes, I have played this game before (it was a long time ago, 3.5, my character was a cleric and he died quite early on. I had help in rolling my character, but I don't know if we fully knew how to play)

I'd really rather play the 3.5 rules and system but have access to other content in other editions.

Aracor
2013-08-08, 10:15 AM
Yep, you're making this harder than it needs to be. The modifier is derived from the score, not added to it. So your int of 18 is simply an int of 18. That gives you a +4 on any int-based rolls, and gives you a bonus spell at level 1.

That simple.

As for racial bonuses, they simply apply to the initial total. So your elf with a 12 constitution and 11 dexterity base has (after racial modifiers) 10 constitution and 13 dexterity.

This results in a modifier of +1 on dexterity-based rolls, and a 0 on constitution based rolls.

The Kind Knido
2013-08-08, 10:23 AM
Hah! I knew something was painfully wrong when I "found" an endless loop of changing the totals and the modifiers constantly.

I hope, at least, everything else is fine so far?

EDIT: Off to re-rolling my ability scores. 10 constitution seems to be a bit lower than I should have. You'd expect an elf hailing from mountainous regions would have more constitution than that.

ericp65
2013-08-08, 10:46 AM
What method are you using to roll your character's ability scores? I recommend either of the following:

1. 10 + 2d4 for each score, in order, then apply racial mods

2. Roll 4d6 for each score, in order, discard lowest die roll, re-roll 1s and 2s, then apply racial mods

Either method will give you a decent set of scores.

cerin616
2013-08-08, 10:53 AM
as for racial modifiers, we can take dwarf for example who gives +2 to constitution.

After you roll out your stats lets say you have a con of 16. you then apply racial b onuses and the like, giving you a con of 18. this changes your constitution modifier from a +3 to a +4. this means anything you roll that involves constitution as a modifier (fortitude saves for example) gets a +4 from constitution.

in addition, ability modifiers are always derived as (abilityScore-10)/2 rounded down

so 18-10 = 8 8/2 = 4 18 con gives +4
or 17-10 = 7 7/2 = 3.5 round down = 3 17 con gives +3

The Kind Knido
2013-08-08, 10:56 AM
I thank you for all this information. I'll try to remember this exact thread for reference whenever I can.

Here's the result of my new ability scores - http://i.imgur.com/peDetIl.png

EDIT: @Eric - The method I use is 4d6; drop lowest roll.

cerin616
2013-08-08, 11:34 AM
dex modifier should be +2

13+2=15
15-10 = 5
5/2 = 2.5
2.5 rounds down to 2

con total is 14 (16-2) but your bonus is correct, I assume you just put the wrong number in the Total score
Dex total score is 15, and bonus is as above

The Kind Knido
2013-08-08, 12:06 PM
Ah, you're right. I had switched two rolls around and forgot to change that bit.

As for the totals, I knew I didn't change them; just thought it'd be easier to see what my base was in the first space. If it becomes bothersome, I'll probably change it.

cerin616
2013-08-08, 01:06 PM
it only really comes in to play with ability damage spells. so pretty much your call

The Kind Knido
2013-08-08, 03:17 PM
I'll remember this thread for later.

Great help. If there was a karma system, or whatever, I'd give points.

Chronos
2013-08-08, 04:37 PM
Two other common ways of generating scores are a set array of scores (a list of numbers that you can arrange to taste, with no rolling), or point-buy (get some number of points to spend, start with all your scores at 8, then spend points at one-to-one to get scores up to 14, two points each for 15 or 16, and three points each for 17 or 18).

The standard power level for the game is either 4d6 drop lowest, the "elite array" (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8), or 25 point buy, all of which are roughly equivalent. Many groups opt for a higher power level, using either a different rolling method, higher array, or higher point buy value. You shouldn't assume anything about what a group will use until you join them and ask.