PDA

View Full Version : Evolution D20

Pesimismrocks
2013-08-08, 10:16 AM
My younger brother wanted to play a game in which the players would play a party of semi-sentient animals constantly mutating in a world which required them too. This should work in a method similar to d&d although no race system would exist. Here's my take on this:

Rules:
Each player has a character sheet, which has their character abilities and capabilities. The Game master will create creatures to fight the players as well as other environmental hazards.
Modifier:To get a modifier for any stat divide the stat by two and take away 5.
Character sheets: In addition to that listed below a player must also note down their combat as well as their block party and dodge. To determine this you add together all combat bonuses from all the roles your creature has an add your Str modifier. You add all block bonuses together and add your Tgh modifier to get block. Add parry bonuses and add your Spd modifier to get parry. To get dodge add your bonuses to your Prc modifier.
Combat: Firstly in combat everyone rolls D20 an adds their perception modifier. Whoever rolls highest gets first turn. On your turn you can move a distance determined by your movement. You may also make an action. Generally this will be an attack or an evolution but can also be picking up a rock or breaking off a branch. To make an attack you select a creature you are within 5ft of.You then roll a d20 and add your combat for each natural attack. The opponent ten rolls a d20 and adds either their block or parry for each attack. If the attacker wins the victim subtexts a number of Hp from their maximum by the attacker Str modifier (you never regain Hp if the attackers modifier is less then 0) and additional damage depending on their natural weapon.

Character Creation

To make a character you need to first roll statistics and then select a role, a movement form, a size and a number of evolutions.
Statistics:
Firstly roll d10 3 times and select the best 2 6 times. You must take these 6 numbers and apply them to the 6 stats. These are

Evolution or EVO: A creatures capacity to evolve. This stat determine the complexity of evolutions you can evolve as well as how many you begin with.

Power or PWR: A creatures physical strength. This stat determines you ability to fight in combat a well as add to the damage your attacks do.

Toughness or TGH: A creatures ability to resist damage. This stat determines your Block defence a well as add to your hit points

Speed or SPD: A creatures quickness. This determines your parry defence as well as movement

Perception or PRC: A creatures senses and reaction time. This determines your dodge defence as well as your perception skills.

Mind or MND: A creatures brain power. This stat determines a creatures capacity for some mutations, but mainly his tool use and tactical ability.

Roles
Brute [STR]

{table=head]
Level|CB|Block|Parry|Dodge|Evolution
1|1|1|0.5|0.75|2
2|2|2|1|1.5|1
3|3|3|1.5|2.25|2
4|4|4|2|3|1
5|5|5|2.5|3.75|2
6|6|6|3|4.5|1
7|7|7|3.5|5.25|2
8|8|8|4|6|1
9|9|9|4.5|6.75|2
10|10|10|5|7.5|3[/table]

Your creature is a mighty brute, relying on str to crush its opponents whether predator or prey.
Real world examples: Lion, Gorilla

Tank [TGH]
{table=head]
1|0.75|1|0.75|0.5|1
2|1.5|2|1.5|1|1
3|2.25|3|2.25|1.5|1
4|3|4|3|2|1
5|3.75|5|3.75|2.5|1
6|4.5|6|4.5|3|1
7|5.25|7|5.25|3.5|1
8|6|8|6|4|1
9|6.75|9|6.75|4.5|1
10|7.5|10|7.5|5|2[/table]

Your creature is an indestructible tank, relying in it thick hide to deter predators.

Real life examples: Hippo, Tortoise

Striker [SPD]
{table=head]
1|0.75|0.75|1|0.5|2
2|1.5|1.5|2|1|1
3|2.25|2.25|3|1.5|2
4|3|3|4|2|1
5|3.75|3.75|5|2.5|2
6|4.5|4.5|6|3|1
7|5.25|5.25|7|3.5|2
8|6|6|8|4|1
9|6.75|6.75|9|4.5|2
10|7.5|7.5|10|5|3[/table]

Your creature is fast and agile, leaping out of harm's way and stalking animals with deadly precision.

Real life examples: Rabbit, Cheetah

3 more classes to come: Spotter, Mastermind and Masterpiece

Movement
At 1st level a creature must select a form of movement He may replace his movement with evolutions.
Quadrilateral:You have a land speed equal to your SPD*2.5ft
Aquatic: You have a swim speed of SPD*5ft
Amphibious: You have a swim speed of SPD*1ft an a land speed of SPD*2ft
Terrestrial: You have a land speed if SPD*1ft and a burrow speed of SPD*3ft
Flight:You have a land speed of SPD*0.5ft and a fly speed of SPD*5ft. If you select flight you have one less evolution at character generation. You also take a -2 penalty to TGH

Size
At 1st level a creature must select a size category. This can be changed with certain evolutions. Certain size categories may cost you 1 or more of your mutations. Th size categories give you a bonus to Str and Spd but a minus to combat and dodge.
1: Miniscule: -8 to Str and Spd +8 to combat and dodge. This size costs 2 evolutions. Examples: Insects
2:Tiny: -4 to Str and Spd. +4 to combat and dodge. This size costs 1 evolution. Examples: Mouse, Frog
3: Small: -2 to Str and Spd. +2 to combat and dodge. Examples: Cat, Pidgeon
4:Medium: No bonuses. Examples: Dogs, Chimps
5:Large: +2 Str and Spd. -2 combat and dodge
6: Enormous: +4 Str and Spd. -4 combat and dodge. This costs 1 evolution. Examples: Elephant.
7: Titan: +8 Str and Spd. -8 combat and dodge. This size costs 2 evolutions. Examples: Whale.

Evolutions
A creature starts with a number of evolutions as shown on their class table. If previous options like size or flight has lowered this number to zero you receive no evolutions this level. If the previous choices reduce it below zero you must continue having no evolutions until additional evolutions from other levels add up to give you a positive number.
When levelling up you gain a number of evolutions as shown on your class table.You may spend these on any evolutions you meet the prequesites for.
In addition to evolution listed and irrelevant of previous options each creature gains a natural weapon evolution or they can opt to not have one, meaning their combat does 1 damage.
Appearance
Your creature can look like anything you want, but keep in mind your chosen evolutions, stats, and movement forms.

Pesimismrocks
2013-08-08, 10:17 AM
Damage DieIf a evolution increases a die size move the damage by 1 along the following chain
1>d3>d4>d6>d8>d10>d12>2d8>d20
Basic Evolutions: Accesible by all:

Natural Weapon: Gain a new natural weapon. This can be from any of the following:
2 Claws (d3+str)
2 Tentacles (d3+str)
2 Fists (d3+str)
Bite (d4+str)
Horn (d4+str)
Tongue (d3)*
* Tongue attacks can never be parried.

Ranged Natural Attack: Gain a ranged natural attack. This can be fluffed however. It has a range of 20ft and does 1 damage.

Enhanced Natural Attack. This increases the die size of one natural attack by 1.

Poison. Choose a statistic and a natural attack. When the chosen natural attck hits the target reduces the chosen stat by 1.

Enhance Poison: Increase the damage of the poison by 1 due size

Defensive natural attack. When this creature is attacked te attacker takes 1 damage.

Enhance defensive attack. Increase the damage done by the defensive natural attack 1 die

Poison Defense: When hit by a poisoned attack there is a 50/50 chance it instead does no poison damage

Poison Immunity:
Requires Poison Defence
You are immune to poison damage.

Increase Toughness
Gain 3 hp

Enhancement
Increase any stat by 1

Manipulators
Requires MND 14
You can pick up and attack with, carry or throw objects with a smaller size category then you as long as you have equal or higher str then their toughness. This does not enable the us of tools.

inuyasha
2013-08-08, 11:17 AM
I.had been considering something like this recently. I will post the details of my system here later, for you to take/ draw inspiration from :-)

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-08, 12:29 PM
You could always just use the evolutionist. It's quite extensive.

inuyasha
2013-08-08, 12:51 PM

Yeah, mine uses a slightly modified version

The Zoat
2013-08-09, 04:20 AM
Typo in the description of the striker, just so you know.

LordChaos13
2013-08-09, 04:23 AM
+1 for the concept

When its in playtesting stage I'd love to play through a campaign

The Zoat
2013-08-09, 06:00 AM
+1 for the concept

+1 to this.

Pesimismrocks
2013-08-09, 07:41 AM
I.had been considering something like this recently. I will post the details of my system here later, for you to take/ draw inspiration from :-)
Thanks, help is very much appreciated

I have considered it but I decided against it.

Typo in the description of the striker, just so you know.
Wow. Thanks for notifying me. Formatting is very hard on a phone.

+1 for the concept

Thanks. When I get it all up I will have a little platter were everyone would play a different role.

Also has anyon got a better name for the spotter?

LordChaos13
2013-08-09, 08:14 AM
Aware?
Although it should probably be rolled into Striker.

Senses are Passive and only work to find prey or avoid being prey to the former. A Striker would want as much senses as they can

togapika
2013-08-09, 09:04 AM
Needs climbing as a possible movement.
Also, maybe make Spotter into the Finder and make them also good at searching, tracking, and finding, stuff.

Pesimismrocks
2013-08-09, 11:29 AM
Aware?
Although it should probably be rolled into Striker.

Senses are Passive and only work to find prey or avoid being prey to the former. A Striker would want as much senses as they can
I guess, but I kinda wanted a role for each stat.

Needs climbing as a possible movement.
Also, maybe make Spotter into the Finder and make them also good at searching, tracking, and finding, stuff.

Arboreal is something I am considering but I'm not sure what to do with it. It shouldn't lower land speed and if it costs an evolution it might not be as popular as flight.

inuyasha
2013-08-09, 01:03 PM
My system worked like this

Everyone starts as a small sized fish, speed 30 swim, type unimportant.

Pathfinder point buy, all stats start at 6 but you get 16 points to spend.

Level 1 evolutionist, with 3 nonmagical mutations. 1 mutation every level after,

At level 4 you can choose to become an amphibian, losing 10ft of swim speed but gaining a 20ft land speed. This stage lasts until lvl 9 where you become a reptile losing your swim speed and adding 10ft to your land speed . This is as far ahead as I've thought feel free to nitpick

Knaight
2013-08-09, 01:39 PM
Putting aside how this really isn't evolution on account of it being within the individual and not population level, the concept seems solid. That said, there are a few games out there that this would actually work really well in, which cuts down on your work load - I'd recommend looking into Fudge and Fate Core, both of which are free. Fudge in particular is pretty traditional in a few ways, but has things like choosing attributes for the game built in (I once used computation speed, traction, and similar things for a robot game, and it worked out really well - though traction ended up being a little too powerful).

Pesimismrocks
2013-08-09, 02:45 PM
My system worked like this

Everyone starts as a small sized fish, speed 30 swim, type unimportant.

Pathfinder point buy, all stats start at 6 but you get 16 points to spend.

Level 1 evolutionist, with 3 nonmagical mutations. 1 mutation every level after,

At level 4 you can choose to become an amphibian, losing 10ft of swim speed but gaining a 20ft land speed. This stage lasts until lvl 9 where you become a reptile losing your swim speed and adding 10ft to your land speed . This is as far ahead as I've thought feel free to nitpick
Interesting. I had thought about actual evolution as a subsystem. But this is more of an unnatural mutation

Putting aside how this really isn't evolution on account of it being within the individual and not population level, the concept seems solid. That said, there are a few games out there that this would actually work really well in, which cuts down on your work load - I'd recommend looking into Fudge and Fate Core, both of which are free. Fudge in particular is pretty traditional in a few ways, but has things like choosing attributes for the game built in (I once used computation speed, traction, and similar things for a robot game, and it worked out really well - though traction ended up being a little too powerful).
Thanks, I'll check them out.

Pesimismrocks
2013-08-11, 03:06 PM
Had a small play test with my brother & friends. Used basic evolutions and it tubes out quite well. It seemed like more if a comedy game, with a mastermind snail leading a tank polar bear, a masterpiece platypus, a brawler titanic worm and a striker wasp into battle.

Is there any way I could lessen the Overpoweredness of defensive natural attack.

LordChaos13
2013-08-11, 07:27 PM
Do Poison Immunity kind of things

50/50 chance of doing 1 damage
100 chance of doing 1 damage

Each evolution only adds 1 NOT increases the dieroll, so it goes 2, 3, 4 not D3, D4...