PDA

View Full Version : Magic Aura MADNESS! [3.5]

Duke of Urrel
2013-08-08, 10:30 AM
Under what conditions does magic manifest itself as a detectable magic aura?

First, I'll summarize what I believe I understand so far, and then I'll ask you, the Playground, to help me understand what I'm not sure about yet.

The Detect Magic spell can detect only actual or residual magic, not potential magic. By this, I mean that with this cantrip, you can detect magic only after it is created, not before. You can't, for example, detect a magic aura around a spellcaster before she casts a spell, and you can't detect a magic aura around a magical creature with one or more spell-like abilities, none of which is presently active. However, you can detect a magic aura around a created magic item that is still functional. You can also detect a magic spell or a spell-like ability that is presently active. You can even detect some residual magic around a recently depleted magic item or a recently expired spell effect.

The Arcane Sight spell can detect not only actual and residual magic (as defined above), but also potential magic in the form of either spellcasting ability or a spell-like ability. So with this spell, as well as with the Greater Arcane Sight spell, you can detect a magic aura around a spellcaster even before he casts a spell, and you can detect a magic aura around a djinni even when she's not using any of her spell-like abilities.

Am I right so far? Okay, so here's where my questions begin.

A. Can the Detect Magic spell and higher-level spells that are modifications of this spell (such as Arcane Sight and Greater Arcane Sight) detect actual and residual supernatural effects? I assume that these spells can't detect supernatural abilities while they are not in use. But can they detect supernatural effects that are always active (such as a pixie's Greater Invisibility, unless the pixie suppresses it), or that happen to be active right now (such as a werewolf's Alternate Form ability while it is in the form of a wolf)?

My next question is similar.

B. Can the Detect Magic spell and higher-level spells that are modifications of this spell (such as Arcane Sight and Greater Arcane Sight) detect actual and residual immortal magic? I assume that these spells can't detect a deity's magical powers while they are not in use. But can they detect magical divine interventions that are presently operative – as magic of "overwhelming" power?

I am leaning toward "Yes" as an answer to both question A and question B, but I like to hear whether the Playground agrees or disagrees. What do you think?

captain fubar
2013-08-08, 03:38 PM
Im not shure weather Arcane Sight would see supernatural abilitys in general however in the case of the pixie the caster of arcane sight know see that somthing with spell-like / arcane abilitys is coming his way and that it is caster level 8th. since he cant locate sorce of the spellcasting abilitys he could also reasonably conclude that it has acess to ilusions.

as for a deity's magical powers unless it has a salient divine power that hides it, a portfolieo related to stealth or secrets, or epic anti divination spell,
it would show up weather its casting or not however arcane sight would only tell that it has 9th level spell like abilitys avalable so it could still try to pass its self off as somthing else that has 9th level spells. dietys can use their domains as at will spell like abilitys so even noncasting deitys would show up to arcane sight

standard non-divination spells dont help much either against arcane sight as even if it cant show you whats inside the spells effect you can still see the nondetection spell its self and thus learn a bit about its caster