PDA

View Full Version : Fine Line in Optimizing Monsters Without Raising CR?

3drinks
2013-08-08, 02:44 PM
Hey all. Here's the situation, I want some advice before going hog wild here.

My campaign world, I use Orcs as a primary enemy type. But I want to make the Orc from the MM stronger than normal My players are starting lv4, and I understand Orcs are CR 1/2 as written in the book.

But I don't want to use these "as written" - they are still grunts and I am not planning to advancing their hit dice, but I do want to trade their Falchions for Greataxes, and trade one of their feats for Power Attack. And I want to give them Scale Mail, if they don't already have it. As I understand it, PA is certainly a stronger feat choice than the Alertness they normally carry, so how much should I raise their CR to compensate for this improved capability? CR 1? Are they still CR 1/2?

I have other "advanced" Orcs as well (with classes) but I can assign CR ratings to them just fine, I just need the advice here with the "grunts". Thanks!

underlaud
2013-08-08, 02:54 PM
I would not think switching out the Falchon for a Greataxe would be that big of a deal, both are two handed weapons that the orcs can use. Power attack would not be that much of a deal as at most they would be doing 2 extra points of damage (-1 attack +2 damage for two handed weapon). So on average you are looking at 11 damage vs 8 normally (if i got the math right) but would hit less. A -1 to hit is much more a big deal at lower levels then higher, especially if the party is properly geared for starting. They meet the prereq for the feat so swapping them should not cause much of a challenge.

3drinks
2013-08-08, 02:58 PM
I would not think switching out the Falchon for a Greataxe would be that big of a deal, both are two handed weapons that the orcs can use. Power attack would not be that much of a deal as at most they would be doing 2 extra points of damage (-1 attack +2 damage for two handed weapon). So on average you are looking at 11 damage vs 8 normally (if i got the math right) but would hit less. A -1 to hit is much more a big deal at lower levels then higher, especially if the party is properly geared for starting. They meet the prereq for the feat so swapping them should not cause much of a challenge.

Thanks. That's mostly what I thought as well, but it is good to get a second opinion some times.

Splendor
2013-08-10, 12:35 AM
Changing equipment or skills or feat doesn't increase a creatures CR (usually). If you give them extra feats or high level equipment, then maybe.