PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Beastmaster (3rd Party Class)

Karoht
2013-08-08, 03:18 PM
So my party has a newer player, who for whatever reason created a Beastmaster, despite the restriction on 3rd Party material. The DM let it slide, so I'm not arguing that. The player has asked for help in optimizing the character.
I'm looking at this class and I'm stumped as to what it is supposed to be good at, and how to optimize it. Am I missing something important?

To my knowledge he has a high strength and high con for stats, the rest I am uncertain of.

http://www.pathfindersrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/tripod-machine/beastmaster

grarrrg
2013-08-08, 05:35 PM
It's a cross between a Barbarian, and a Ranger.
Slap him and just make him play a Mad Dog (http://www.pathfindersrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/mad-dog) Barbarian.
Basically the same thing, but with RAGE so he'll be more useful IN combat.

Seriously.
Beastmaster is very much a "melee type" for the character, but it gives virtually NOTHING that helps you fight at all.
Heck, there's barely anything he can actively do to help his companion fight for that matter.
Yeah, sure out of combat you are "Master of Beasts". In combat "I full attack".

Mad Dog Barbarian all the way.

Andvare
2013-08-08, 05:36 PM
It seems to be a flanker. A barbarian that has traded in his rage for an animal companion, and uses that companion to get a flank buddy.
An animal companion is not a bad thing at all.
I'd go with a two-handed weapon, make him run into melee, preferable in the middle of things, so that his animal companion can flank, and go to town. This becomes a bit less suicidal after level 5, when he gets Improved Uncanny Dodge.
I'd try to get the animal companion's int up to 3, and get some teamwork feats, like Outflank, Outlook, Precise Strike or Pack Attack.
Also look into Companion archetypes. This gets a bit odd, as the Beastmaster's companion does have share spells (which is needed for all but the Totem Guide archetype), but doesn't have any spells. Depending on what the plan is to use the companion for, each is quite useful, and brings a bit more life into the companion.
Feats. Power Attack, Dazing Assault. Hell, I might even go with the Cleave line (Greater Cleave together with Dazing Assault can be quite amazing). Outflank + Dazing Assault and a flank buddy, means you only have -1 to attack.

Karoht
2013-08-09, 09:44 AM
Teamwork Feats! I would never have thought of that. Brilliant.

I'll try and nudge him into the Barbarian Archetype rather than Beastmaster, but the player seems to have a knack for liking completely useless characters, and then talking about how his X is going to sex up Y and make X/Y babies.

Reading the class in depth, I'm pretty sure that the goal is to use Handle Animal and related animal/social skills to get a collection of animal friends, rather than just the companion. And then lead the zoo into combat. Any thoughts on how to make him good at that beyond a high Charisma? I'm pretty sure his Charisma is somewhere around a 14 or 16. Might be as low as a 12 though.