PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler Build Advice.

Andurian
2013-08-08, 05:00 PM
I am trying to make my character as strong as possible. Since I am a beguiler, I am kinda limited to control (which I enjoy anyway).

These are my characters attributes... we rolled it. I rolled well.... sorta. The first time was so bad, I rerolled. Highest was 12 (only one higher or equal to 10) and lowest was 4. Average of around 6 or 7. It was bad.

My leveling plan... Beguiler 5, Mindbender, Beguiler 6-7, Fiend Blooded 10

Draconic Human

Str 10+2
Dex 18
Con 12+2
Wis 10
Int 18
Cha 16+2

Feats
1 Eschew Materials
Human Able Learner
3 Blood Calls to Blood
Free Beguiler 5 – Silent Spell
6 Snow Casting
9 Draconic Aura
12 Chain Spell

Bonus Spells
3- Up to Level 1 Wizard/Sorc Enchantment /Illusion – Shock and Awe
8 – Up to level 4 Wizard/Sorc Enchantment/Illusion – Shadow Conjuration
10 - Up to 5th level - Wither Limb 4th
12 - Up to 6th level - Freezing Glance 6th
14 - Up to 7th level - Call Forth the Beast 5th
16 - Up to 8th level
18 - Up to 9th level

The later spells can be of any level up to what I am at of Necromancy, Illusion, Enchantment or Fire from any spell list. I am trying to decide what spells to go for. Wither Limb is just a fun one that I enjoy and really want to keep it (Chaining it to hit a group with large DC boosts works wonders too). What other spells should I consider?

Also not sure about the feats. I was considering practical metamagic chain spell. Make it easier to cast.

What do you think I should change or adjust.

Galvin
2013-08-08, 09:46 PM
I think your build is pretty good so far. A beguiler/wizard/ultimate magus can make for a pretty good combo, if you wanna get some wizard casting in there. UM also helps with reduction of MM costs.

As for those ability scores that ya rolled, there is a rule about re-rolling low ability scores, it's something to do with the sum of all your ability score modifiers, and I'm pretty damn sure that your mods are low enough to qualify for re-roll, if you haven't all ready.

Crake
2013-08-08, 10:02 PM
If you want your character to be more focused on charisma and whatnot (considering you get +2 to cha from being draconic) and since you have the high abilities to throw around already, there's a 3rd party feat from one of the intimate dnd books (i think it's BoEF) called sensual casting, which lets you base your DCs off of charisma, if you're into that sort of thing (and if your group is of an age maturity where something like that would be acceptable). Bonus spells are still tied to int, as is the max spell level you can cast, but with a higher base cha, you'll have better DCs to all your spells, which is quite nice for a beguiler.

Spuddles
2013-08-08, 10:25 PM
Big fan of Versatile Spellcaster. Combine with heighten spell to get earlier spell access, which makes your eclectic learning or whatever more useful.

A dip in mindbender gets you telepathy (super useful for communicating while hidden) and also lets you get higher level eclectic learning spells.

Masterwork tools are your friend.

I would keep your casting int based, because skill points >> better than a handful of bonuses to a few skills, imo.

nedz
2013-08-09, 04:05 AM
People normally dip Mindbender to qualify for the Mindsight feat.

Maybe you don't have a use for 100' Blindsight ?

Spuddles
2013-08-09, 04:06 AM
People normally dip Mindbender to qualify for the Mindsight feat.

Maybe you don't have a use for 100' Blindsight ?

Mindsight's a broken and abusive feat, imo.

Norin
2013-08-09, 04:12 AM

I recently played a beguiler/mindbender with mindsight. It was fun for a few sessions, then it just got silly and annoyed the DM. We ended up houseruling it to be activation based and required me to announce that i used it.

...silly char died to a Dread Necro and his minions not long after though. Poor thing.

nedz
2013-08-09, 04:59 AM

I agree entirely, but it depends on the OP level of the group I guess.

The same argument can be made for early access.

Andurian
2013-08-09, 09:19 PM
I am avoiding Mindsight because it can get annoying for the DM and I dont feel the need to do something like that in a not perfectly optimized game.

That being said, I like being telepathic and pushing beguiler advanced learning back a level. So.... Mindbender dip it is! Also need Knowledge Planes...

Also, I did reroll my stats which is why they are so much better now lol.

Grim Reader
2013-08-09, 09:29 PM
I'd recommend a heritage feat from Dragon Compendium. Adds some spells known, and opens up Turning.

Not sure why you got an 18 in dex rather than con?

Gnome Alone
2013-08-10, 12:15 AM
As for those ability scores that ya rolled, there is a rule about re-rolling low ability scores, it's something to do with the sum of all your ability score modifiers, and I'm pretty damn sure that your mods are low enough to qualify for re-roll, if you haven't all ready.

He did re-roll, the new ones are way better, yeah?

These are my characters attributes... we rolled it. I rolled well.... sorta. The first time was so bad, I rerolled. Highest was 12 (only one higher or equal to 10) and lowest was 4. Average of around 6 or 7. It was bad.

See? And k'damn, I'd call 10, 10, 12, 16, 18, 18 way better than "sorta well" - that's like the equivalent of a 50 point-buy.