PDA

View Full Version : Looking for my new favorite story.

shamgar001
2013-08-08, 05:37 PM
I'm looking for a new story/series. I'm open to any medium. In general, stories I like seem to have: long myth-arcs, a basically serious plot (though still with humor), fantasy settings, intelligent and well-rounded characters, most of the focus being on action, and a lot of fridge brilliance moments.

Things I've liked previously:

Angel
Death Note
Fullmetal Alchemist
Harry Potter
The Legend of Korra
Order of the Stick
Sword of Truth

Anything in that vein should work. I've already tried Doctor Who and couldn't get into it.

Eldan
2013-08-08, 05:45 PM
Have you tried the Dresden Files? Fantasy (check), interesting characters (check), serious story (oh, how check), humour (check), action (check).

Can't think of much Fridge Brilliance right now, but it does have a lot of stuff that is only explained later. And seemingly unimportant details that later become very important.

shamgar001
2013-08-08, 05:52 PM
Can't think of much Fridge Brilliance right now, but it does have a lot of stuff that is only explained later. And seemingly unimportant details that later become very important.

I guess I mean both fridge brilliance and Chekhov's [whatever]. Something that indicates planning.

I'll look into that.

~EDIT~
Having skimmed the TVTropes description, it looks similar to Angel, which interests me.

riswynn
2013-08-08, 06:11 PM
Watching one episode of Doctor Who doesn't count...

Man on Fire
2013-08-08, 06:36 PM
I'm looking for a new story/series. I'm open to any medium. In general, stories I like seem to have: long myth-arcs, a basically serious plot (though still with humor), fantasy settings, intelligent and well-rounded characters, most of the focus being on action, and a lot of fridge brilliance moments.

Things I've liked previously:

Angel
Death Note
Fullmetal Alchemist
Harry Potter
The Legend of Korra
Order of the Stick
Sword of Truth

Anything in that vein should work. I've already tried Doctor Who and couldn't get into it.

Berserk by Kentaro Miura
Vinland Saga
The Invisibles
Runaways by Brian . Vaughan
Kieron Gillen's Journey Into Mystery (it all unfold really well in last issue)
Black Company
Doom Patrol and Animal Man by Grant Morrison
Sandman by Neil Gaiman
Lucifer by Mie Carey
Fables by Bill Willingham