PDA

View Full Version : Monks wielding reach weapons whilst unarmed

ramrod
2013-08-08, 06:26 PM
Hi

Just need to check something, but I'm sure it's right! As a monk you can wield a reach weapon (say, a spiked chain) for the purpose of attacks of opportunity at range, but still fight unarmed, seeing as your whole body is your weapon, you can technically fight with your feet and head at no penalty whilst the chain is in your hands... .

JaronK
2013-08-08, 06:33 PM
Yes, that is correct.

JaronK

Xervous
2013-08-08, 07:15 PM
Two handed fighting while two weapon fighting

Yes its a thing

Namfuak
2013-08-08, 07:20 PM
If you were to do this, you may as well use a martial reach weapon like a glaive, since unlike most reach wielders you threaten both 10 feet with the glaive and 5 feet with unarmed strike. On the other hand, any martial character can do the same thing with a spiked gauntlet or armor spikes.

ramrod
2013-08-09, 04:11 AM
Although I asked for the sake of monk, I'm actually an unarmed swordsage. I did actually take glaive, seeing as it does more damage that other reach weapons.

However, I realised that I chose spiked chain for other reasons, it is the only finesseable reach weapon. Additionally, shadow hand is my focused group of weapons meaning that I get +1 to attack and also +4 damage if I choose to strike with it.

It does mean that I take -4 attack being non proficient, but this has less impact after being made masterwork for 300gp and my weapon focus. If I used a glaive I would be at -7 to hit and damage (20 dex compared to 7 str lol)

I think I made the right choice? Right? :smallconfused:

Gigas Breaker
2013-08-09, 05:29 AM
I don't always choose to play an unarmed character, but when I do I fight with my bare hands.

ramrod
2013-08-09, 05:42 AM
Lol unarmed in a misnomer. Firstly you have arms. Secondly you don't have to fight with your arms :)

TuggyNE
2013-08-09, 06:23 AM
Lol unarmed in a misnomer. Firstly you have arms.

Yes yes, English terms are often bizarre if you don't know the etymology*. Tell me another one?

*"Arm" being used for weapon.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-08-09, 07:53 AM
I don't always choose to play an unarmed character, but when I do I fight with my bare hands.

My last druid fought bear handed.

Gigas Breaker
2013-08-09, 08:21 AM
My last druid fought bear handed.

I hope to one day play a fist of the forest/bear warrior. My dms keep starting at one though. Maybe when I die and get to reroll I will get to fight bear handed as well.

ramrod
2013-08-09, 09:39 AM
Are you sure that you have the right to bear arms? :P

Flickerdart
2013-08-09, 10:03 AM
Are you sure that you have the right to bear arms? :P
Character handedness was eliminated in 3.5, it doesn't matter whether your bear arms are right or left. :smalltongue:

Werephilosopher
2013-08-09, 10:07 AM
All this wordplay is unbearable. :smalltongue:

Actually this gets me thinking of a new character... a dual-whip wielder who spins in a circle, and if anyone gets past the whips he headbutts them. And he jumps through the air like a corkscrew.

ramrod
2013-08-09, 03:55 PM
Character handedness was eliminated in 3.5, it doesn't matter whether your bear arms are right or left. :smalltongue:

I actually proper lolled at this.... lol