PDA

View Full Version : undead/fiend creatures

Invader
2013-08-08, 08:55 PM
I'm looking for some combination undead/fiend creatures to throw at my players in an upcoming game. I figure I can always just add the half fiend template to an undead creature if I get desperate but I was hoping to find better. Right now they're ECL 5, any suggestions?

Edit* To clarify I'm looking for creatures with both the undead and demon types or undead and devil types.

LOTRfan
2013-08-08, 09:12 PM
I'll put my vote into Necrosis Carnex (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm4_gallery/98703.jpg), but that's mainly for the body-horror aspect at such a low CR. Seriously, I love those guys and everyone should love them.

Silva Stormrage
2013-08-08, 09:36 PM
Ghouls and Ghasts are actually pretty scary in mass if the party lacks so aoe then the cr one ghouls can be pretty deadly.

Jovok (Monster Manual II) can also be pretty terrifying, they reflex all damage dealt to them to all non demons within 30ft. A fort save (DC 15) halves this damage. They are CR 4 I think

This has a lot of good fiends, pretty much all of them:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5573.0

Splendor
2013-08-08, 09:44 PM
It all depends upon the kind of encounter.

If your looking for just combat:
Gravetouched Dire Wolf. Stronger undead dire wolf, increased NA, Paralysis, gains multiattack and claw attacks.

Fast Zombie Ogre x2: +30' move, +2 dodge to AC, Standard & Move actions (see libris Mortis pg 173)

Unkillable Wyvern Zombie: +2 Hp/HD and fast healing 5 (see libris Mortis pg 173)

Invader
2013-08-09, 06:52 AM
Sorry, rereading my post I see I worded it poorly. I'm looking for creatures that are both undead and fiends at the same time. Basically the cult of Vol is experimenting on humans by creating hybrid undead/fiends in support of a fiend invasion of eberron and I need some abominations to throw at my players.

Alex12
2013-08-09, 06:54 AM
Drop the Fiendish template on some regular undead, or one of the several undead templates onto a fiend.
There's even a spell (albeit high-level) that makes an undead into a fiendish one.

nyjastul69
2013-08-09, 09:33 AM
Drop the Fiendish template on some regular undead, or one of the several undead templates onto a fiend.
There's even a spell (albeit high-level) that makes an undead into a fiendish one.

The fiendish template can't be applied to undead creatures.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-09, 09:43 AM
Also, undead can be applied to fiends even if fiendish can't be applied to undead.

Grave touched ghoul work silly good on a succubus. She can paralyze you and eat your soul at her leisure, and that cha boost makes her SLA's very hard to resist.

Hytheter
2013-08-09, 09:45 AM

I don't think playing by the rules 100% is necessary for when creating monsters for players to fight. Just make sure you run it by the-oh wait, you are the DM.
I think the template creature types are more like guidelines than crucial rules.

So yeah, there's nothing really wrong with that.

nyjastul69
2013-08-09, 10:00 AM
I don't think playing by the rules 100% is necessary for when creating monsters for players to fight. Just make sure you run it by the-oh wait, you are the DM.
I think the template creature types are more like guidelines than crucial rules.

So yeah, there's nothing really wrong with that.

I agree. I got the, probably false, impression that the OP was trying to work within the rules. The OP is willing to apply the half fiend template to undead, so yeah, why not fiendish too. Neither are allowed by RAW.

Alex12
2013-08-09, 10:02 AM

The spell Vile Death says you can.

nyjastul69
2013-08-09, 10:14 AM
The spell Vile Death says you can.

Of course it can. This specific 9th level spell overwrites the general rule that the fiendish template can't be applied to undead. It changes nothing.

Urpriest
2013-08-09, 12:38 PM
There are demons that resemble ghouls and vampires in the Fiend Folio.

Alex12
2013-08-09, 01:49 PM
Of course it can. This specific 9th level spell overwrites the general rule that the fiendish template can't be applied to undead. It changes nothing.

It's seventh level for Dread Necromancers.
And I was just giving it as a possible explanation for throwing undead with the fiendish template at the players. It's totally possible, RAW, to have fiendish undead. Not easy, but possible.
"That's not possible! You can't have fiendish undead!"
"First off, your character, with his 8 Int and zero ranks in any knowledge skills, doesn't know that. Second, somewhere, there's a 14th-level dread necromancer making them."

Bah, whatever. I've said my bit.

hamishspence
2013-08-09, 02:09 PM
If I remember rightly, one of the undead in Fiend Folio (the Hullathoin) has the ability to create fiendish vampire spawn.
It's high level, and pretty hideous:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50148.jpg

The Viscount
2013-08-09, 03:02 PM
Blood Fiends from Fiend Folio are pretty much vampiric demons. They're pretty nasty.