PDA

View Full Version : Creating for the reluctant

Apocryphos
2013-08-08, 09:17 PM
Hi everyone, I just joined this forum yesterday. I love what I've seen of the community so I wanted to share from my own files.

I've played several very short-lived campaigns using various 3-3.5 rules and while I love the ideas behind the game, I had never managed to get into the way I think the game should flow when playing. There's always so much interruption and rules checking and such that my groups never really got much opportunity to immerse in the world. I've also played a ton of 3rd edition video games like Icewind Dale II, as well as some 2nd edition like Baldur's Gate II. I had long toyed with the idea of being the DM for a game, but never had the initiative until one day my hankerin' got the best of me.

My available friends were not exactly the type that would be into this sort of thing. In fact, they were more accurately the opposite type, so I knew I would have to put some english on it. The first part of my spin was to avoid saying anything about Dungeons or Dragons. I pitched it as a "Story Game" focusing on the aspect of playing an adaptive story. I got some buy-in, but not from the few "hardcore gamers" in the group - they only wanted to play video games. The crew I ended up with then was a few casual gamers and a few non-gamers and an even mix of male-female.

None of them knew the rules for any tabletop RPG system and I knew that with any rules-talk they would vanish, frightened away by sheer "nerdiness" of the terminology. So I shielded them from the rules. Instead of creating characters, I had them answer some questions, and I created full characters behind the scenes. My goal was for them to not have to be thinking about numbers. They would still roll dice, but they would not know anything about "attack bonuses" or "armor class" or even "skill ranks". This sort of "nerdery" (or, you know, game mechanics) would take place behind the curtain.

Once the character questionnaire was sent out, I set to work building the campaign. I wanted to create it entirely from scratch. I could say this was because I wanted to tailor it specifically for them, but that would not be true. I really wanted to create... That's really how this whole thing started. Just looking for people to riff on my world, man. I knew anything too alien right away would freak them out, but they would likely not have a problem with anything more "mainstream" fantasy (tolkien).

Sit back, dear reader, and I'll serve you up the character questionnaire, player answers, and the stats behind the scenes, coming along eventually to the opening scene itself. But before I do, I want to explain myself a little more. I wanted these people to get into their characters, so I left it open ended. They could be whatever they wanted. I was not overly concerned with exact character level and skills, since I intended for them to be as strong as they decided they wanted to be. This had ultimately had surprisingly little consequence, since I was able to fudge things around quite a bit to make the overall power levels to be fair enough. Some of the questions themselves were intentionally ambiguous so I could get a sense for what sort of things my players tended to think about. My instructions were to "answer the questions however you want. Don't be too literal." So now, without further ado, the questions:

What are you good at?

What is your general approach to resolving conflict?

In a conversation, how would you convince someone of your point?

In a fight, what would you generally do to defeat your opponent?

In a fight, what are your most important weapons and defenses?

If you could only have one magic spell, what would it do?

If you could have one piece of ultra valuable equipment, what would it be?

What qualities would you value in your allies?

When you are feeling hopeless or nearly defeated, how do you overcome?

What secrets do you have that very few (or none) know?

What types of people make you angry? Or what could a person do to become your enemy? What could a person do to someone-you-don't-know to become your enemy?

How could an enemy become your friend?

What is your philosophy towards magic?

What is your philosophy towards faith?

What are your top three values from this list: Toughness, Flexibility, Willpower, Power, Charm, Genius. And (briefly) why?

If not mentioned above, what special powers or abilities do you possess?

Do you have any pet or familiar? If so, detail them.

What is your overall size? Large, medium, small, other?

Are you more of a regular human-thing, or are you exotic? Are you an exotic human-thing?

Gender and sexual attraction?

What special physical qualities do you possess, if any? What would make you stand out from a crowd of similar creatures?

Do you have a name?

Any other details:

Amridell
2013-08-08, 11:29 PM
This is really nice. Are you slowly going to wean them off the low rules system? Nicely thought out, though.

Apocryphos
2013-08-09, 12:31 PM
First player to respond filled out the questions thusly:

What are you good at?
Sneaking. Getting my way. Taking stuff I like.

What is your general approach to resolving conflict?
I win. And you're an *******.

In a conversation, how would you convince someone of your point?
I'd trick them

In a fight, what would you generally do to defeat your opponent?
Stabby punches in the vulnerable places, or immobilization through sound wave manipulation.

In a fight, what are your most important weapons and defenses?
knifegloves, poison, speed, stealth, seduction.

If you could only have one magic spell, what would it do?
It makes its object extremely comfortable, no matter the actual conditions.

If you could have one piece of ultra valuable equipment, what would it be?
palladium grapple hook

What qualities would you value in your allies?
pragmatism, temperance, patience.

When you are feeling hopeless or nearly defeated, how do you overcome?
I dissect a plant or insect.

What secrets do you have that very few (or none) know?
I know herblore, and backroads, and cavemaps.

What types of people make you angry? Or what could a person do to become your enemy? What could a person do to someone-you-don't-know to become your enemy? Loud people make me angry. A person who messed up one of my jobs would become my enemy. A person who harmed a child or family would become my Enemy.

How could an enemy become your friend?
Give me something really rare/valuable.

What is your philosophy towards magic?
It has side effects.

What is your philosophy towards faith?
It can be used against people.

What are your top three values from this list: Toughness, Flexibility, Willpower, Power, Charm, Genius. And (briefly) why?

Genius
Toughness
Charm
Where one fails, the next takes over. Thus anything is accomplished.

If not mentioned above, what special powers or abilities do you possess?
Echolocation.

Do you have any pet or familiar? If so, detail them.
Bat.

What is your overall size? Large, medium, small, other? medium hot, but shadowy - hard to remember.

Are you more of a regular human-thing, or are you exotic? Are you an exotic human-thing?yes.

Gender and sexual attraction? female and all (non humans also)

What special physical qualities do you possess, if any? What would make you stand out from a crowd of similar creatures? I have abnormally strong pinky fingers, and a very long tongue. Curvier than average.

Do you have a name? Name me

Any other details:

I complied this into the following character:
Name: Naia
Female Human Rogue 5
Chaotic Neutral

Strength 12 (+1)
Dexterity 18 (+4)
Constitution 14 (+2)
Intelligence 18 (+4)
Wisdom 10 (+0)
Charisma 19 (+4)
Size: Medium
Height: 5' 6"
Weight: 145 lb
Skin: Tan
Eyes: Dark Brown
Hair: Black Straight
Total Hit Points: 36

Speed: 30 feet

Armor Class: 16 = 10 +2 [leather] +4 [dexterity]

Touch AC: 14
Flat-footed: 16 [uncanny dodge]
Initiative modifier: +4 = +4 [dexterity]
Fortitude save: +3 = 1 [base] +2 [constitution]
Reflex save: +10 = 4 [base] +4 [dexterity] +2 [lightning reflexes]
Success avoids all effects (evasion)
Will save: +1 = 1 [base]
Attack (handheld): +4 = 3 [base] +1 [strength]
Attack (unarmed): +4 = 3 [base] +1 [strength]
Attack (missile): +7 = 3 [base] +4 [dexterity]
Grapple check: +4 = 3 [base] +1 [strength]

Languages: Abyssal Common Dwarven Elven Goblin

Dagger or Dart [1d4, crit 19-20/x2, range inc 10 ft., 1 lb., light, piercing]
+10 thrown
+7 melee
1d4 + 3d6 + 4 + (dagger: paralysis / dart: flashbang)

Leather armor [light; +2 AC; max dex +6; check penalty 0; 15 lb.]

Feats:
Blind-fight (as long as can concentrate and sound is not blocked, ignore penalty for visual interference when attacking.

Quick draw - Always have a weapon in hand, no matter what

Skill Name
Appraise Int 12
Balance Dex* 12
Bluff Cha 12
Climb Str* 1
Concentration Con 2
Diplomacy Cha 14
Disable Device Dex 12
Disguise Cha 12
Escape Artist Dex* 12
Forgery Int 4
Gather Information Cha 4
Hide Dex* 12
Intimidate Cha 14
Jump Str* 1
Move Silently Dex* 12
Sleight of Hand Dex* 14
Use Magic Device Cha 12
Alchemy: Poison Int 12

Rogue:
Sneak Attack +3d6
Trapfinding
Evasion (level 2)
Trap Sense (level 3)
Uncanny Dodge (level 4)

_____
76 lb Weapons / Armor / Shield (from above)
Backpack
Bedroll
Grappling hook
Rope (50', silk) x1
Spyglass
Alchemist lab
Thieves' tools

As you may notice, I'm not using any particular limitations on the character build, just trying to fit the request the best I can. Still, this initial character ended up being a lot more rigorous on the rules than some of the others... (foreshadowing!)

I later created a "character sheet" of sorts that I gave to each player because I wanted to make sure they had some prompts for what kind of actions they could take, not as a limiter, but as a seed of inspiration. I will post that sheet for this character next.

LimeSkeleton
2013-08-09, 12:46 PM
You know, if you're not too attached to the 3.5/D20 system, what you're doing sounds a lot like building FATE Core characters. It's a free pdf, I'd really suggest checking it out.

The focus is on dramatic storytelling and "rule of cool" rather than crunchy mechanical stuff; it's very different from the more traditional RPG games. Instead of classes, you use "Aspects" like "Strong as a bull" or "Deadliest Pirate in the 7 Seas". Easy to play, very few rules and very far away from the stuff that's most off-putting to new players.

SethoMarkus
2013-08-09, 01:05 PM
You know, if you're not too attached to the 3.5/D20 system, what you're doing sounds a lot like building FATE Core characters. It's a free pdf, I'd really suggest checking it out.

The focus is on dramatic storytelling and "rule of cool" rather than crunchy mechanical stuff; it's very different from the more traditional RPG games. Instead of classes, you use "Aspects" like "Strong as a bull" or "Deadliest Pirate in the 7 Seas". Easy to play, very few rules and very far away from the stuff that's most off-putting to new players.

I second this. I don't have any experience with FATE, but it really seems like you should just look at systems outside of D&D and d20. Or forget the rules and just play a freeform storytelling game. Some people just don't care for tabletop RPGs like D&D, and it seems like it is only asking for trouble to trick these people into playing.

Zombimode
2013-08-09, 01:11 PM
The point is you should really not use D&D (any edition including Pathfinder and other clones) for such kind of players. D&D has the best flow and is most fun if all the players know the system and are actually using the system that is picking their action so that they have meaning within the system*. In addition D&D has strong tactical and strategic components. Non-gamers will often find these uninteresting.

Try a much more rules light system.

* The beauty is if all the players and the DM know what they are doing, a game of D&D is pretty much free of rules discussions or much in terms "rules lingo".

Rosstin
2013-08-09, 01:35 PM
Earlier this year, I ran a game without any system whatsoever with novice players. The game was set in a simulation of a realistic world without many unusual elements and was mostly centered around puzzle-solving... anyway that ran fine without any rules at all.

So I think trying a more narrative-focused system is a good idea.

Apocryphos
2013-08-09, 08:04 PM
The question of what system is ideal for this is pretty much off-topic, so I will spoiler my thoughts on that.

First of all, the campaign has already launched so I won't be switching rule systems. I'm just running you through the setup process (which took place months ago) in the hopes you find it useful or inspiring.

I like the D&D structure. I think it adds a compelling realism that simpler systems lack. Being able to put specific limitations on characters is nice in a lot of ways, and some players react very well to having clear, logical boundaries. It helps them understand what can and can't be done. And what can be done with a great degree of difficulty. But I can't expect them to learn it, which is where this came from. I'm acting like an adaptive D&D rules engine while allowing them to focus on their characters in a world that has clear and strict rules holding it together. The only "rules-light" system I've played was 7th Sea, and while it was fun, I definitely felt it lacked a depth of mechanics that kept characters from feeling immersive. We did our damndest in that group to roleplay it though - had some real-life actors in the party. Good times. In any case, the people involved in this group were not necessarily so good at telling their own stories, so I needed ways to compel them. It's certainly possible another system would have worked well too, but I know 3rd edition with a capital KNOW, and that makes it the easy choice if only one person needs to know the rules anyway.

Here is the "character sheet" I made for the first player.

Naia Character Sheet
Hit points: 36
Speed: 6 squares/turn (normal is 6, so normal)
Languages: Abyssal Dwarven Elven Goblin
Passive Traits: can see in the dark/fog if sound is not blocked, can always have a weapon drawn no matter what, get huge bonuses for surprise attacks

Skills:
Trapfinding - use to look for traps
Appraise - how much is something worth?
Balance/Acrobatics - Navigate difficult terrain, land softly
Bluff - lie convincingly
Seduction (diplomacy) - change creature's attitude towards you or others
Disable Device - disarm trap, pick lock, etc.
Disguise - appear to be a different person, race, gender, etc.
Escape Artist - escape nets, snares, handcuffs, etc.
Hide
Intimidate - force a creature to act friendly towards you
Move Silently
Sleight of Hand - hide things you are holding from view, or steal things from creatures, sneak poison into drinks etc.
Use Magic Device - lets you cast a spell from a scroll or item intuitively
Alchemy: Poison - create and apply poisons

Attacks
Intimidate - scare a creature, making it terrible at fighting near you
Dagger + paralysis poison
Dart + stun poison (interrupting)

Magic abilities:
Sound burst (3/day) - Deafen and stun creatures nearby

Bat:
You have a bat with 18 hit points. It can communicate with you and see in the dark. It has a weak bite attack but you can use it to deliver poison. Moves 8 squares (fast).

Equipment:
Backpack
Bedroll
Grappling hook
Rope (50', silk) x1
Spyglass (like a crappy telescope)
Alchemist lab (make poisons)
Thieves' tools

Apocryphos
2013-08-11, 04:21 PM
2nd player to respond - surprisingly, this player was a female wanting to play a male from the outset.

What are you good at? quelling arguments, calming people down, and kicking ass with an array of weapons

What is your general approach to resolving conflict? try to calm people down by listening to both sides and finding a compromise that makes both sides happy without leaving any hard feelings (rather hard to do, see biggest fears)

In a conversation, how would you convince someone of your point? reason,logic

In a fight, what would you generally do to defeat your opponent? if reason fails, fight honorably and skillfully with a touch of ingenuity.

In a fight, what are your most important weapons and defenses? reason and logic are my sword and shield. also, a sword and shield are my sword and shield. and a bow and arrow.

If you could only have one magic spell, what would it do? create equality for everyone

If you could have one piece of ultra valuable equipment, what would it be? a really high-quality slightly magical sword

What qualities would you value in your allies? presence of mind, survival skills, courage, honor

When you are feeling hopeless or nearly defeated, how do you overcome? by keeping calm and thinking logically about my options and what i can do to escape

What secrets do you have that very few (or none) know? that i am afraid of the dark

What types of people make you angry? Or what could a person do to become your enemy? What could a person do to someone-you-don't-know to become your enemy? those who oppress others, those who take advantage of others, nazis.

How could an enemy become your friend? by renouncing their ways and becoming honorable

What is your philosophy towards magic? it is very useful and a good mage is invaluable

What is your philosophy towards faith? it is very helpful in hard times

What are your top three values from this list: Toughness, Flexibility, Willpower, Power, Charm, Genius. And (briefly) why? Willpower, flexibility, and genius because they are most important to effecting positive change

If not mentioned above, what special powers or abilities do you possess? speed and strength (people don't see it because i rarely fight)

Do you have any pet or familiar? If so, detail them. I HAVE A MAGIC DRAGON THAT CAN CHANGE ITS SIZE ON A WHIM, AND CAN BREATHE FIRE AND IS LOYAL ONLY TO ME

What is your overall size? Large, medium, small, other? I am a tall lean gent with wiry muscles

Are you more of a regular human-thing, or are you exotic? Are you an exotic human-thing? i'm a regular human-thing

Gender and sexual attraction? G:male SA:female, but i have better things to do

What special physical qualities do you possess, if any? What would make you stand out from a crowd of similar creatures? I'm exceptionally smart and people have told me i am handsome. i am also very good at everything i do.

Do you have a name? Winters

Any other details: i am a well-traveled man with wide world knowledge

Yes, she has been watching too much Band of Brothers.

Technical character:

Winters
Male Human Paladin 7
Lawful Good

Strength 18 (+4)
Dexterity 18 (+4)
Constitution 13 (+1)
Intelligence 18 (+4)
Wisdom 18 (+4)
Charisma 14 (+2)
Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 260 lb
Skin: Pale
Eyes: Green
Hair: Red Wavy; Beardless
Total Hit Points: 63

Speed: 20 feet [armor]

Armor Class: 21 = 10 +8 [full plate] +2 [heavy steel] +1 [dexterity in armor]

Touch AC: 11
Flat-footed: 20
Initiative modifier: +8 = +4 [dexterity] +4 [improved initiative]
Fortitude save: +8 = 5 [base] +1 [constitution] +2 [paladin charisma]
Reflex save: +8 = 2 [base] +4 [dexterity] +2 [paladin charisma]
Will save: +8 = 2 [base] +4 [wisdom] +2 [paladin charisma]
Attack (handheld): +11/+6 = 7 [base] +4 [strength]
Attack (unarmed): +11/+6 = 7 [base] +4 [strength]
Attack (missile): +11/+6 = 7 [base] +4 [dexterity]
Grapple check: +11/+6 = 7 [base] +4 [strength]

Languages: Celestial Common Draconic Dwarven Elven

Dagger [1d4, crit 19-20/x2, range inc 10 ft., 1 lb., light, piercing]
+11/6 1d4 +4

Holy Longsword [1d8, crit 19-20/x2 4 lb, one-handed, slashing]
+15/10 1d8 + 8
+20/15 2d8 + 8 vs evil (when smite evil is active)
Longbow [1d8, crit x3, range inc. 100 ft, 3 lb, piercing]
+11/6 1d8 + 2

Full plate armor [heavy; +8 AC; max dex +1; check penalty -6; 50 lb.]
Heavy Steel Shield [+2 AC; check penalty -1; hardness 10; hp 20; 15 lb.]

Feats:
Alertness
Improved Initiative
Improved Turning
Negotiator

Skill Name
Appraise Int 4
Balance Dex* 4
Bluff Cha 2 =
Climb Str* 9
Concentration Con 1
Diplomacy Cha 16
Disguise Cha 2
Escape Artist Dex* 4
Gather Information Cha 2
Handle Animal Cha 12
Heal Wis 14
Jump Str* 3
Listen Wis 6
Move Silently Dex* 4
Ride Dex 16
Sense Motive Wis 16
Spot Wis 6
Survival Wis 4
Swim Str** 4

Human:
Paladin:
Detect Good (Passive)
Immune to Fear and Disease
Code of Conduct / Association

Detect Evil
Smite Evil (2x/day; add +2 to melee attack roll, paladin levels to damage)
Remove Disease
Turn Undead (level 4) (5x/day) (DC 13 undead flee)
Protection from Evil (3x/day) +2 AC +2 Saving throws, counter mind control
_____
121 lb Weapons / Armor / Shield (from above)
Arrows (quiver of 20) x4
Backpack
Flint and steel
Grappling hook
Spade / shovel
Tent

Mount: Dragon (Juvenile)
Large Animal
(45 hit points)

Initiative +1 (Dex)
Speed 50 feet
AC: 18 ( -1 large +1 Dex +8 natural)
Attacks: 2 claws +7 melee; Bite +2 melee;
Damage 1d6+4 (2 hooves); 1d4+2 (bite);

Special Qualities: Fly
Saves: Fort +8; Ref +6; Will +3
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 6, Wis 13, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +7; Spot +7;
The mount is entitled to distribute an additional 2 skill points.
Empathic link; Improved evasion; Share spells; Share saving throws

Yes, comically high stats, but I felt that was what she was asking for, and I wanted to see what an essentially maxed out paladin could do in inexperienced hands.
I basically just took the stats for the paladin mount and made it appear to be a dragon instead of a horse. During a session the player asked me if it could breathe fire, and I said yes but not enough to do serious damage.
I was keeping their starting magic items to a minimum because I intended to have lots of loot and make most of it immediately usable - just one more thing to keep them interested.

Character sheet for the player

Hit points: 63
Speed: 5 squares/turn (normal is 6, so slow)
Languages: Celestial Draconic Dwarven Elven
Passive Traits: Immune to fear and disease, can sense good in people, must help those in need / will not tolerate evil

Skills:
Climb
Diplomacy
Handle Animal
Heal
Ride
Sense Motive (counter bluffing, detect "something is up")

Attacks
Holy Longsword
Longbow

Magic abilities:
Detect Evil (reveal evil things or creatures within 60 ft)
Smite Evil (2x/day; bonus to next attack vs. evil)
Remove Disease
Turn Undead (5x/day, can cause undead to run in fear)
Protection from Evil (3x/day, defensive bonuses for you vs evil)

Dragon:
You have a magic dragon you can summon/dismiss and ride. It is not capable of flying with you riding it. You have a telepathic link with it. It doesn't have strong combat abilities because it is a young dragon, but it can fight. It is mortal, and has 45 hit points.

Apocryphos
2013-08-11, 04:37 PM
Third player to respond. I really expected this guy to go full-on melee violence and was again surprised with what he came up with.

What are you good at? Botany and Alchemy. Knowing the properties and uses of naturally occurring items.

What is your general approach to resolving conflict? Conversation

In a conversation, how would you convince someone of your point? Exploring the specific reasons why the other person has taken the position that they have, then explaining why that position differs from mine, then showing how I have reached my position

In a fight, what would you generally do to defeat your opponent? Exploit weakness, either physical or mental (no thigh armor, or arrogance)

In a fight, what are your most important weapons and defenses? Crossbow and not being seen (in a larger group fight) In small enclosed fights, shield and short sword

If you could only have one magic spell, what would it do? Controllably bright light in left hand. (illumation <---> blinding)

If you could have one piece of ultra valuable equipment, what would it be? Boots of Insane Comfort. eliminates fatigue of foot, allows endless walking/running, but of course i still need to stop for drinking and sleeping etc,

What qualities would you value in your allies? Integrity, bravery

When you are feeling hopeless or nearly defeated, how do you overcome? hide/run

What secrets do you have that very few (or none) know? I know what the amulet is for. I was also a prisoner in the South.

What types of people make you angry? Or what could a person do to become your enemy? What could a person do to someone-you-don't-know to become your enemy? I do not like hot-headed people, the fastest way to become my enemy is to jump to violence without just cause, obvious cause, or imminent need. Treating another person unfairly for personal gain will make me your enemy. (could be in words, business, physically, emotionally, sexually, etc)

How could an enemy become your friend? Providing help to those in need without requiring repayment. Saving someone/thing dear to me

What is your philosophy towards magic? Mysterious, hidden from true knowing, difficult to study/understand/use

What is your philosophy towards faith? Nonsense

What are your top three values from this list: Toughness, Flexibility, Willpower, Power, Charm, Genius. And (briefly) why? Flexibility Genius Toughness. The road has many lessons. My extensive physical activity leaves me lean and extremely flexible. My knowledge of natural properties and ability to know when to use them comes off as genius to those who spend thier time studying the intangible instead of the tangible. Years on the road/as a prisoner have hardened my resolve. I am tough and surviving

If not mentioned above, what special powers or abilities do you possess? I can be quieter than you.

Do you have any pet or familiar? If so, detail them. Sometimes a falcon follows me, I don't control it, and cannot fluidly communicate with it. I can gather vagueries, but noting specific from it.

What is your overall size? Large, medium, small, other? Medium

Are you more of a regular human-thing, or are you exotic? Are you an exotic human-thing? Regular human thing

Gender and sexual attraction? Male, not really attracted to much.

What special physical qualities do you possess, if any? What would make you stand out from a crowd of similar creatures? I am better at not standing out...

Do you have a name? No

Any other details:

I thought for a while about this one, and then a very large grin appeared on my face when I realized that Bard was really the only thing that made sense. Still, I was planning on throwing a lot of enemies at them and wanted everyone to feel effective in combat, so I had to give him a great offensive weapon to start the game with.

Technical character.

Porthos
Male human Bard 5
Chaotic Good

Strength 14 (+2)
Dexterity 18 (+4)
Constitution 16 (+3)
Intelligence 21 (+5)
Wisdom 14 (+2)
Charisma 10 (+0)
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 200 lb
Skin: Black
Eyes: Dark Brown
Hair: Black Curly; Average Beard
Total Hit Points: 39

Speed: 40 feet

Armor Class: 18 = 10 +3 [studded] +1 [light steel] +4 [dexterity]

Touch AC: 14
Flat-footed: 14
Initiative modifier: +4 = +4 [dexterity]
Fortitude save: +4 = 1 [base] +3 [constitution]
Reflex save: +8 = 4 [base] +4 [dexterity]
Will save: +6 = 4 [base] +2 [wisdom]
Attack (handheld): +5 = 3 [base] +2 [strength]
Attack (unarmed): +5 = 3 [base] +2 [strength]
Attack (missile): +7 = 3 [base] +4 [dexterity]
Grapple check: +5 = 3 [base] +2 [strength]

Languages: Common (? 13 more)

Longsword [1d8, crit 19-20/x2 4 lb, one-handed, slashing]
+5 to hit, d8 + 2 damage

Repeating Heavy Crossbow
5 bolt clip
+7 to hit, roll for each bolt, can be different targets
damage d10 per hit (up to 5d10)
spend an action to reload (can move and reload)

Studded armor [light; +3 AC; max dex +5; check penalty -1; 20 lb.] ; arcane spell failure 5%
Light Steel Shield [+1 AC; check penalty -1; hardness 10; hp 10; 6 lb.]

Feats:
Rapid Reload
Run
Traits:

Skill Name
Bardic Knowledge +12
Appraise Int 13
Balance Dex* 4
Decipher Script Int 13
Escape Artist Dex* 4
Forgery Int 5
Hide Dex* 12
Knowledge (arcana) Int 13
Listen Wis 10
Move Silently Dex* 12
Ride Dex 4
Search Int 9
Spellcraft Int 17
Spot Wis 6
Use Magic Device Cha 10
* = check penalty for wearing armor

This character also has 8 ranks in Speak Languages.
Decipher Script >=5 ranks gives +2 on use magic device checks involving scrolls.
Spellcraft >=5 ranks gives +2 on use magic device checks on scrolls.
Use Magic Device >=5 ranks gives +2 on spellcraft checks to decipher scrolls.

spells per day:
6 uses from this list
LIght
Lullaby
Mage Hand (5 pound telekinesis)

4 uses from this list
Detect Secret Doors (reveal secret doors up to 60 ft)
Hypnotism (fascinate up to 8 creatures)
Feather Fall
Identify (Identify the properties of a magical object)

3 uses from this list
Mirror Image
Suggestion
Detect Thoughts

5 uses from this list
Inspiration (+1 to all ally actions)
Countersong (enemy spells have 20% chance to fail)

Equipment:
_____
149 lb Weapons / Armor / Shield (from above)
Crossbow bolts (quiver of 10) x10
Backpack
Bedroll
Caltrops
Candle
Chalk
Crowbar
Fishhook
Flint and steel
Grappling hook
Hammer
Ink vial
Ink pen
Lantern (bullseye)
Mirror
Parchment sheets x6
Pick
Rope (50', silk) x3
Signal whistle
Spade / shovel
Spyglass
Alchemist lab
Climber's kit
Hourglass
Magnifying glass
Musical instrument
Spell component pouch

Character sheet
Name: Porthos
Hit points: 39
Speed: 8 squares/turn (normal is 6, so extra fast)
Run Endurance: 4x normal duration, 2x normal speed
Languages: All, you speak all languages, or at least can fake it

Skills:
Random Knowledge - Try to remember any information relevant to the current situation
Appraise - how much is something worth
Decipher Script - what does it say
Hide
Knowledge (arcana) - (ancient mysteries, magic traditions, arcane symbols, cryptic phrases, constructs, dragons, magical beasts)
Listen - notice a quiet sound
Move Silently
Search - actively searching an area to find a specific thing
Spot - passive search - ability to notice subtle things
Spellcraft - identify magic spell being cast or in effect

Attacks
Longsword
Repeating Heavy Crossbow (5 shots before reloading, can shoot up to 5 each turn if you don't move)

Magic abilities:
Light
Lullaby (make creature so sleepy)
Mage Hand (5 pound telekinesis up to 30 ft away)

Detect Secret Doors (reveal secret doors up to 60 ft)
Hypnotism (fascinate up to 8 creatures)
Feather Fall (don't take damage from falling, controlled descent)
Identify (Identify the properties of a magical object)

Mirror Image (make 1d4 +3 mirror images of you to reduce chance you will be hit)
Suggestion (make a powerful suggestion to a creature)
Detect Thoughts (read a creature's thoughts to some extent)

Inspiration (+2 to all nearby ally actions)
Countersong (enemy spells have 40% chance to fail, but you can't take other actions besides moving)

Equipment: Anything you want up whenever you want it until I decide you have hit your weight limit.

I tried to simplify the spells down, but they were still initially more confusing than I wanted. In the end, I told the player not to worry about the uses per day, and I would handle that behind the scenes. It turned out that the limits were unnecessary because he didn't use these abilities very frequently. Given the wide range of abilities this character has, I felt like it was the most powerful one so far, if played maximally.

Apocryphos
2013-08-11, 07:07 PM
4th player.

What are you good at? Everything

What is your general approach to resolving conflict? Violence

In a conversation, how would you convince someone of your point? Threat of violence, intimidation

In a fight, what would you generally do to defeat your opponent? Extreme violence

In a fight, what are your most important weapons and defenses? Blood lust

If you could only have one magic spell, what would it do? Ironskin, this spell/ability makes me invulnerable to spells and magics for a short time.

If you could have one piece of ultra valuable equipment, what would it be? An ancient wareaxe, named Asunder, forged and passed down by my forefathers.

What qualities would you value in your allies? They are steadfast.

When you are feeling hopeless or nearly defeated, how do you overcome? Neither has occurred.

What secrets do you have that very few (or none) know? My brother was killed as an adolescent.

What types of people make you angry? Or what could a person do to become your enemy? What could a person do to someone-you-don't-know to become your enemy? All types. Anything. I don't care about the welfare of other creatures.

How could an enemy become your friend? They'll be crushed underfoot, we will not be friends. Perhaps we will share tales in the banquet halls of the after-life.

What is your philosophy towards magic? It's arcane and nether-wordly.

What is your philosophy towards faith? I have faith that I will not stop fighting or be subdued until my enemies are vanquished. My people killed our Gods long ago.

What are your top three values from this list: Toughness, Flexibility, Willpower, Power, Charm, Genius. And (briefly) why? Power, Toughness, Willpower. Why not?

If not mentioned above, what special powers or abilities do you possess? I'm good at mending wounds and sea-faring.

Do you have any pet or familiar? If so, detail them. I have a viking beast(Kuresai) wolf. He's only slightly less menacing than I. He stands at 5 human feet tall from paw to shoulder.

What is your overall size? Large, medium, small, other? Magnificent

Are you more of a regular human-thing, or are you exotic? Are you an exotic human-thing? Exotic, magnificent, human-esque, viking beast thing(called Kuresai).

Gender and sexual attraction? Viking beast things, Kuresai, mostly look the same but I've got "man bits" as humans call them. I like other Kuresai with "lady bits".

What special physical qualities do you possess, if any? What would make you stand out from a crowd of similar creatures? Kuresai are much larger than the average human.

Do you have a name? Arzencikearfleminthomp AKA Blocks

Any other details: Due to their tight-lipped nature Kuresai are often considered a species of inferior intellect. They are fiercely loyal to their own kind and are invaluable in a fight.

Love it. This guy made up a race. How could I say no to anything he asked for at this point? Since the only thing he wanted was to melee combat I had to make him outrageous. He would be very limited compared to the others when outside combat.

Blocks
Male Kuresai Barbarian 5
Chaotic Neutral

Strength 25 (+7)
Dexterity 12 (+1)
Constitution 18 (+4)
Intelligence 10 (+0)
Wisdom 14 (+2)
Charisma 8 (-1)
Height: 8' 0"
Weight: 400 lb
Skin: Brown
Eyes: Black
Hair: Black Straight; Thick Beard / Hirsute
Total Hit Points: 63

Speed: 30 feet [armor] [barbarian]

Armor Class: 18 = 10 +5 [breastplate] +1 [buckler] +1 [dexterity] + 1 natural armor

Touch AC: 12
Flat-footed: 18 [uncanny dodge]
Initiative modifier: +1 = +1 [dexterity]
Fortitude save: +8 = 4 [base] +4 [constitution]
Reflex save: +2 = 1 [base] +1 [dexterity]
Will save: +3 = 1 [base] +2 [wisdom]
Attack (handheld): +12 = 5 [base] +7 [strength]
Attack (unarmed): +12 = 5 [base] +7 [strength]
Attack (missile): +6 = 5 [base] +1 [dexterity]
Grapple check: +12 = 5 [base] +7 [strength]

Light load: 266 lb. or less
Medium load: 267-533 lb.
Heavy load: 534-800 lb.
Lift over head: 800 lb.
Lift off ground: 1600 lb.
Push or drag: 4000 lb.

Languages: Common

Dagger [1d4, crit 19-20/x2, range inc 10 ft., 1 lb., light, piercing]
+10 to attack
2d4 + 13 damage

Keen Large Greataxe [3d6, crit 19-20x3, 12 lb, two-handed, slashing]
+10 to attack
3d6 + 20 damage
Cleave - if hit scored, gets extra attack

Breast plate [medium; +5 AC; max dex +3; check penalty -4; 30 lb.]
Buckler [+1 AC; check penalty -1; hardness 10; hp 5; 5 lb.]

Feats: (Applied above)
Power Attack
Cleave

Skill Name
Climb Str* 15
Jump Str* 15
Swim Str** 15
Sailing 10

Rage 2 per day
critical range 15-20, +1 attack per round, immune to immobilization, after 7 turns exhausted for 2 turns

Kuresai:
+6 strength
+1 natural armor

Fast Movement (already included)
Trap Sense (level 3)
Improved Uncanny Dodge
Cannot be flanked

_____
70 lb Weapons / Armor / Shield (from above)
Backpack
Bedroll
Pick
Rope (50', silk) x1

Character sheet.

Name: Blocks
Hit points: 63
Size: Large, 8'0" tall 450 lbs
Speed: 6 squares/turn (normal is 6, so normal speed)
Languages: Kuresai
Passive Traits: You cannot be sneak attacked, and suffer no penalty from being surrounded

Skills:
Climb
Jump
Swim
Sailing

Attacks
Asunder (two-handed axe)

Abilities:
Cleave - when you hit with a normal attack you can make another attack
Battle Rage (2/day) - massively increased offensive power for your next 7 turns, after which you cannot do much for 2 turns

Weltall_BR
2013-08-12, 07:55 AM
I would echo the people who said DnD is not really fit for what you're aiming at, but I believe this to be settled. Apart from that, I think that what you're doing is really cool, but not a very easy task. In game, players may have difficulty assessing what they can and cannot reasonably do. Maybe you could add an adjective to their skills, like "Swim: Fair". That way a player is confident he can swim in a pool, but is sure he cannot swim in rapids. Consider the effect of encumbrance when providing the adjective, of course.

elliott20
2013-08-12, 10:18 AM
well, normally, I would echo the rest of the thread and say that you shouldn't be using D&D for this kind of game, but you're already neck deep in it and I doubt you want to fight the momentum now. Makes sense, I suppose.

What I would say though, is that you should probably allow yourself to play it fast and loose with the rules though instead of trying to make sure every rule is by the book. Nothing can kill people's interest faster than you having to halt the action for 10 minutes while you look up the DC of a skill check. They're all novices at this anyway, so no need to follow the book too closely if it's not convenient. Just make sure they know this so if they DO want all of the book keeping, you can shift half-way through.

I would also make sure you follow the "say yes or roll dice" rule, where you don't waste time rolling dice on things that don't add to the game.

You also need to make sure their expectations are managed. I've seen several of the character profiles say in some many words "I am awesome at everything", which means they are going to have a rude awakening when they actually get into the game. Maybe just make sure they understand this is how their character sees themselves, and might not always reflect reality as it is constrained by the numbers and dice rolls at the end of the day.

But do give them a chance to boost their circumstantial bonuses as much as you can so they get a chance to overcome some of those limitations.