PDA

View Full Version : Explorer template?

Alokue
2013-08-08, 10:27 PM
So, I was thinking of making an explorer template, and I was hoping to get more ideas for things to put in it, and an idea for what a +2 explorer template would look like - I'm having trouble rating what I have so far. These are the ideas that I have, and the only things I'm super attached to are the strides, track, endure elements, and always know true north. It's an e6 game, if that matters.

+4 Int
+2 Dex

+10 move speed

+20 to mount speed for overland travel

10*HD fly speed that improves with HD
1HD Clumsy
2HD Poor
3HD Average
4HD Good
5HD Perfect

Ex: Endure Elements

+8 to survival, +4 ride, spot and listen

+2 Languages Known

Always know true North

Track as a bonus feat

Scent

Negate Pass without Trace once per day

Woodland Stride, Mountain Stride, Nature's Stride, Unfettered Stride

Trackless Step

Arcanist
2013-08-09, 12:14 AM
So, I was thinking of making an explorer template, and I was hoping to get more ideas for things to put in it, and an idea for what a +2 explorer template would look like - I'm having trouble rating what I have so far. These are the ideas that I have, and the only things I'm super attached to are the strides, track, endure elements, and always know true north. It's an e6 game, if that matters.

That template is NOT a +2 LA.

Born Explorer

Explorers, at least the ones that survive, are born and not made. These men and women possess a vigor and love for life that is only rivaled by their hunger for the thrill of exploration.

Creating a Born Explorer
“Born Explorer” is an inherited template that can be added to any nonmindless creature with an intelligence of at least 3 (referred to hereafter as the “base creature”). A "Born Explorer" uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type
The creature’s type and size does not change.

Speed
The base creatures land speed is increased by 10ft. The creature can also perform leaps and jumps up to great extremes to replicate a form of flight; Whenever the Born Explorer would perform a jump check they move an additional 5ft per HD up to a maximum of 25ft.

Special Qualities
A Born Explorer has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.

Rough the Elements (Ex): A Born Explorer's home is in the great yonder, to boldly go where few have gone before. As such they are treated as being under the constant protections of an Endure Elements spell.

Stride (Ex): You can move at your full move speed through any terrain, but are not immune to the consequences of moving through it (such as trigger traps, or stepping on a spike, or anything like that).

Survivor's Instinct (Sp): Once per day, a Born Explorer can cast either: Cure Light Wounds, Light or Mending. These are casted at the base creatures HD.

Abilities
Increase from the base creature as follows: +2 Int, +2 Wis

Skills
A Born Explorer always treats Survival, Ride, Spot and Listen as class skills. In addition to this, they are always treated as having 5 ranks when determining True North.

Feat
The base creature gains Track as a bonus feat.

Alignment
Any.

Challenge Rating: +1

Level Adjustment: +2

In a world where there are Dragons, Beholders, Mindflayers, Disease, Gods, Poison, The Undead and Tragedy; It is remarkable to wonder how we even live, let along survive. There are easily more than 1,000 ways to die.

I wanted to see this template do just that: Survive.

EDIT: removed some features to allow it to still have a LA +2.

Alokue
2013-08-12, 01:30 AM
So, I really liked what you did with the fly speed. I was trying to figure out something that I liked to make it still workable but not really be a fly speed, and that is *awesome*.

I was wondering -- did you think the stride abilities too powerful? And the 20 ft mounted speed over long distances? I was thinking of them as not being a huge deal, and as super flavorful, and giving just a minor bonus in some limited number of combats. I'm not super attached to Perseverance, Find traps, or the little level 1 SLAs from survivor's instinct. Would those not be a fair trade? Could you explain why?

Arcanist
2013-08-12, 03:13 AM
So, I really liked what you did with the fly speed. I was trying to figure out something that I liked to make it still workable but not really be a fly speed, and that is *awesome*.

You're welcome, but don't thank me, thank Indiana Jones.

I was wondering -- did you think the stride abilities too powerful? And the 20 ft mounted speed over long distances?

I just felt they weren't really necessary and isn't something a Survival check couldn't replicate and adding it in would have made the class at minimum a LA +3. Mounted speed on a template felt a little ridiculous since templates are only supposed to effect the creature they're applied to and nobody else (unless external effects are given).

I was thinking of them as not being a huge deal, and as super flavorful, and giving just a minor bonus in some limited number of combats. I'm not super attached to Perseverance, Find traps, or the little level 1 SLAs from survivor's instinct. Would those not be a fair trade? Could you explain why?

There not TOO bad, just didn't find them overly relevant. I'll edit them in if you'd like.

Alokue
2013-08-12, 02:31 PM
Thanks for editing it in, and all your input!

Edit: Could you list what you removed? Think I noticed everything but not sure.

Debihuman
2013-08-12, 07:33 PM
Na abilities should be changed to Ex or Sp.. Natural abilities are claws and things.

Having endure elements should be an Ex.

Debby

Arcanist
2013-08-12, 09:14 PM
Thanks for editing it in, and all your input!

Edit: Could you list what you removed? Think I noticed everything but not sure.

Removed Perseverance, Find Traps and Find the Path.

Na abilities should be changed to Ex or Sp.. Natural abilities are claws and things.

Having endure elements should be an Ex.

Debby

You're right. Adjusted.