PDA

View Full Version : Explorer template?

Alokue
2013-08-08, 11:24 PM
So, I was thinking of making an explorer template, and I was hoping to get more ideas for things to put in it, and an idea for what a +2 explorer template would look like - I'm having trouble rating what I have so far. These are the ideas that I have, and the only things I'm super attached to are the strides, endure elements, and always know true north, though I like flight. It's an e6 game, if that matters.

+4 Int
+2 Dex

+10 move speed

+20 to mount speed for overland travel

10*HD fly speed that improves with HD
1HD Clumsy
2HD Poor
3HD Average
4HD Good
5HD Perfect

Ex: Endure Elements

+8 to survival, +4 ride, spot and listen

+2 Languages Known

Always know true North

Track as a bonus feat

Scent

Negate Pass without Trace once per day

Woodland Stride, Mountain Stride, Nature's Stride, Unfettered Stride

Trackless Step

lycantrope
2013-08-08, 11:30 PM
How can we forget use rope for an explorer!?! Giving the whip as grappling hook skill trick over scent makes a lot more thematic sense.

Matticussama
2013-08-08, 11:37 PM
+2 LA is hard for any build to absorb, especially in an E6 game. You might be better off using a custom class, or alternate class features for the Rogue or Scout, rather than a template with LA. That way you get all of the features you want, while still keeping it playable at all levels. That is just my opinion, though.

Alokue
2013-08-08, 11:44 PM
The +2 is taken care of via DM fiat.

RFLS
2013-08-08, 11:46 PM
+2 LA is hard for any build to absorb, especially in an E6 game. You might be better off using a custom class, or alternate class features for the Rogue or Scout, rather than a template with LA. That way you get all of the features you want, while still keeping it playable at all levels. That is just my opinion, though.

(I'm the DM in question)

I'd be bang alongside that as a recommendation 99% of the time. Absolutely correct. However, I'm allowing the buying of LA at 1 per feat. This is very powerful, and I'm very aware of it. The only reason it's being allowed is because I goofed on some editing in recruitment, leaving a reference to being able to take up to 2 LA in, and many players build their characters accordingly. So, assume it's free LA.

RFLS
2013-08-09, 09:52 AM
How can we forget use rope for an explorer!?! Giving the whip as grappling hook skill trick over scent makes a lot more thematic sense.

I'm not sure, but I think he's going for a close-to-nature sort of template.

Toliudar
2013-08-09, 09:56 AM
Clearly, the template should give access to a free Handy Haversack, a Monkey familiar, and a 1/day use of Find the Path.

Or am I the only one on this board with small children?

Slipperychicken
2013-08-09, 09:59 AM
The fly speed is pretty OP.

Aren't explorers nirmally modeled with class levels?

Fax Celestis
2013-08-09, 10:16 AM
...why not just give him two free levels of Extreme Explorer without the hit dice, and make the skill points into a skill bonus instead?

RFLS
2013-08-09, 11:06 AM
...why not just give him two free levels of Extreme Explorer without the hit dice, and make the skill points into a skill bonus instead?

Where can that be found? It sounds about right.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-09, 11:09 AM
Where can that be found? It sounds about right.

You are in luck: it is excerpted on the WotC site (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eb/20040204a).