PDA

View Full Version : Does death terminate ongoing spell effects?

Nettlekid
2013-08-09, 12:47 AM
Basically, as the title asks, I was wondering if being dead stops the effects of certain ongoing spells from working on you. Most importantly, mind-affecting spells. If a creature was Dominated, and then killed, and then Raised, would they continue to be Dominated?

What I want to use this for, if possible, would be to Geas someone into agreeing to be Raised if they are killed and someone tries to call their soul from the afterlife. Hopefully the Geas will still be in effect, and they will come back. My intent then is to use Reanimation on them, keeping them as a prisoner in their own body. But it would be tough to do that if they decide not to come back when called.

Crake
2013-08-09, 01:21 AM
To be fair, geas simply deals damage to you if you dont comply, and a dead person cant take anymore damage, so theres nothing really stopping them from ignoring it.

CRtwenty
2013-08-09, 01:24 AM
It doesn't, however being dead creates some significant changes in the target that a lot of spells may no longer be applicable. For instance a dead soul may now be either an Undead/Deathless or a Native Outsider depending on circumstances and may be immune to mind effecting spells.

Spuddles
2013-08-09, 01:29 AM
It doesn't, however being dead creates some significant changes in the target that a lot of spells may no longer be applicable. For instance a dead soul may now be either an Undead/Deathless or a Native Outsider depending on circumstances and may be immune to mind effecting spells.

Do spells continuously check to see if you're a valid target? Like Flesh to Stone. Are you stuck in some sort of flux, changing back an forth between stone and flesh?

CRtwenty
2013-08-09, 01:32 AM
Do spells continuously check to see if you're a valid target? Like Flesh to Stone. Are you stuck in some sort of flux, changing back an forth between stone and flesh?

Ongoing ones do at least. If you're Dominated and something happens to make you immune to mind-effecting spells the Domination is broken.

TuggyNE
2013-08-09, 06:47 AM
Ongoing ones do at least. If you're Dominated and something happens to make you immune to mind-effecting spells the Domination is broken.

I'm not totally sure that's the case. If something happens to suppress mind-affecting, sure, it's suppressed, but otherwise I don't know of RAW that makes the spell keep rechecking.

Probably a logical way to rule it though.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-08-09, 07:48 AM

I'm fairly certain its only suppressed, and in some cases the immunity might not extend to things already active on you.

To be fair, geas simply deals damage to you if you dont comply, and a dead person cant take anymore damage, so theres nothing really stopping them from ignoring it.
No Geas simply damages you if you are unable to comply.. A geased creature must follow the given instructions until the geas is completed no matter HOW long it takes. He can try to subvert the instructions but he can not resist them.

Now that being said being under geas doesn't make you willing to recipient of raise dead, no matter how the geas is worded you aren't willing your being magically compelled.

So it doesn't matter if the Geas stays glued to the soul requiring your companions to take your heart to a cleric of Ilmater so your soul can find rest in spite of the geas.(brownie points to whom gets that reference).

Mr Adventurer
2013-08-09, 09:17 AM
Bodhi, Baldur's Gate II