PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to scorching ray

Yogibear41
2013-08-09, 02:13 AM
Working on a theoretical e6 build where I would only have 4 levels of wizard for a max of only 2nd level spells, I'm trying to decide what to ban for my 3 schools and have come up with Necromancy, and Enchantment so far(only thing I'm really going to miss out of those is false life) anyway I'm leaning toward banning evocation, but my plan was for scorching ray to be my go to damage spell when I needed one aside from it and tenser's disk(and maybe magic missle) there are basically no other evocation spells I need, so basically is there another 2nd level or lower spell of another school that is as good at raw damage as scorching ray? (I've only been checking through PHB and SpC but all books are open)

Haven't decided on a speciality yet either leaning toward conj or illusion, want to focus on Save or Sucks and control, will generally be more support just want 1 or 2 good damage spells for when I have to have them.

Crake
2013-08-09, 02:25 AM
Well with 4 levels of wizard and practised spellcaster a lesser orb of fire will deal 3d8 damage, have the same range as a scorching ray, but have no need to worry about SR. the average of 3d8 comes out to 13.5 over 4d6's 14, so it's a pretty close replacement, but its 1st level instead of 2nd level, so I'd say its a good choice for you

Of course, theres also acid, sonic, electricity and cold versions of it, if you want something other than fire.

Dessembrae
2013-08-09, 02:27 AM
I like Incendiary Slime from Complete Mage.

It works just the old standby, Grease, except if anything deals fire damage in the area, the slime goes up in flames and deals 4d6 damage to everything in the area.

An awesome save-or-suck that you can blow up for damage when necessary. Blow it up with some Alchemists Fire for style points.

Yogibear41
2013-08-09, 02:36 AM
Well I had planned on increasing my caster level with it to get at least 2 rays out of it(maybe 3 if I try really hard) so looking at at least 8d6 maybe 12d6

The lesser orbs are definently something I will be taking if only 1 of them and is probably helping me lean toward conjuration for my specialit since so far I can get pretty much all I need out of it, with things like grease and web, and also some nifty(if not quite as good as evocation) damage spells, might even toss in a summon monster for good measure. (trapfinding ftw?) lol

Incendiary slime is interesting, will definently try and use that some.

eggynack
2013-08-09, 02:50 AM
Do take note, if you end up keeping evocation, skip scorching ray. Instead, pick up seeking ray from the PHB II. It deals electricity damage instead of fire, it ignores concealment and cover, you don't take firing into melee penalties, and if you hit you get a +4 to hit with ray spells against that opponent for rounds/level. The balancing factor between it and scorching ray is that seeking ray doesn't get you more rays as you level. It's effectively strictly better in an e6 game.

Yogibear41
2013-08-09, 01:59 PM
That's not necessarily true as you can boost your caster level enough to get 2 shots from a scorching ray, maybe even 3 if you try really hard, but being a wizard that is nothing stopping me from learning both of them in the long run.