PDA

View Full Version : Mining Rules in 3.x or Pathfinder?

Endarire
2013-08-09, 02:53 AM
Greetings, all!

Are there any official rules for mining (effectively digging the ground) to excavate valuable materials, like gems and ore? Basically, if I dig for an hour in environment X, what charts are there to determine what I find/excavate? If not official, what are the best homebrew rules around?

I ask because I'm interested in making a character who starts out mining, then opens a business, and adventures on the side. I was pondering Warblade due to fighting skills and the STR focus being logical. I'm aware of the official business rules from Dungeon Master's Guide II and Frank & K's revisions for these business rules.

I'm also well aware of the combat side. I'm specifically after mining rules.

Studoku
2013-08-09, 03:36 AM
If you're just mining by yourself, use the profession rules and take Profession (Miner). Not sure about running a business.

Endarire
2013-08-09, 04:00 AM
Are there any tables, charts, or/and rules that are significantly more specific than just a Profession check? I mean finding a dig site, determining its worth, excavating it, hauling stuff to market, fighting off intruders, building supports... that sorta thing.

Skysaber
2013-08-09, 04:09 AM
Such rules existed in the First Ed Dungeoneer's Survival Guide.

To the best of my knowledge and understanding, nothing like them has been reprinted since.

Talderas
2013-08-09, 06:44 AM
The rules for Profession (Mining) are in Races of the Dragon.

IdleMuse
2013-08-09, 07:03 AM
Yeah, use Races of the Dragon to determine progress, and possibly a second check to determine pay? Or some kind of appraise system for gemstones? I guess it depends where you are mining, for that sort of thing. It might just be a random % roll based on the rock type.

Dwarf Fortress RPG anyone?

TuggyNE
2013-08-09, 07:17 AM

Needs more lava pumps.

Studoku
2013-08-09, 07:30 AM
I really need to work on that at some point.

Talderas
2013-08-09, 08:14 AM
Needs more lava pumps.

And elephants.