PDA

View Full Version : Need spells against undead.

Qc Storm
2013-08-09, 03:10 AM
I am the party Factotum/Chameleon and main spellcaster, level 10. As a chameleon, I have just now earned access to level 4 spells. My Factotum spellcasting is too little to be significant.

Up until now, my spells were mostly focused on non-lethal disables such as Confusion, Stinking Cloud, Cloud of Bewilderment, Fear, Miser Envy, Hideous Laughter, etc.

Unfortunately, next to NONE of these work against undead, and the campaign recently took a massive shift into resident evil.

Command Undead is a given, but after using it once and having a good laugh, we agreed never to use it again (shortest boss fight ever).

Now keep in mind that I am a Chameleon. This means that I can borrow spells from pretty much any spell list out there, both Arcane and Divine. I can often nab spells one level lower than it usually is. I am typically in Arcane mode, but Divine spells are good too.

Norin
2013-08-09, 03:58 AM
A few quick suggestions:

Hide from Undead for the scout if you have one.

The cure x wounds line works well for direct damage if you can get up close.
Sun Bolt or Deific Vengeance for ranged maybe?
Flame Strike is lvl 4 on the druid list if you can get that. Decent AOE blast.

Protection from evil and death ward for buffs.

Get some ghost touch weapons for the pesky incorporeal guys. Also Mage armour (and greater version) will help your AC vs incorporeal because it's a force effect.

SolioFebalas
2013-08-09, 04:23 AM
Other than those mentioned above:
Dust to Dust (RotW) 1d8/2 lvl (max 10d8) ranged touch,
Celestial Brilliance (BoED) 1d6(2d6)/round 1 day!!!/level,
Light of Purity (CC) +1d6/4 lvl turning damage,
Positive Energy Aura (PlHB) 10ft. radius, +2 hitpoint to living creatures -2 to undead (1 round/level),
Stars of Arvandor (BoED) 1d8/per star (max 10), swift action,
Undead Bane Weapon (Ghostwalk).

Kane0
2013-08-09, 04:51 AM
The only anti-undead spell that comes to mind right now is undeath to death. Its a bit beyond your level though, maybe you can pick up a couple scrolls of it?

Khedrac
2013-08-09, 06:32 AM
At 4th level (Evard's) Back Tentacles is hard to beat and is just as good against incorporeal undead as any other corporeal monsters.

Also Wall of Fire - the damage is a bit meh, but it does double damage versus undead... I once put one down the length of a corridor which had mummies coming up it - and they have vulnerability to fire...

Thespianus
2013-08-09, 07:00 AM
The combination of Divine Power, Undead Bane Weapon on a Heavy Mace and Greater Mighty Wallop is a lot of fun if you enjoy to wade into melee. Add a Least Truedeath Crystal (Mic)

A list I prepared for our Cleric in our campaign follows:

Level 1: Hide from Undead (PHB) , Divine Favor
Level 2: Divine Insight (CAdv, 1hr/lvl), Consecrate (boosting turning in one area, 2hr/level), Eagle's Splendor?, Light of Faith(CC)
Level 3: Dispel Magic, Remove Disease, Light of Wisdom
Level 4: Divine Power, Light of Purity, Undead Bane Weapon(SpC, 1hr/lvl), Cure Critical Wounds,
Level 5: Righteous Might, Triadspell(SpC), Mass Cure Light Wounds

I dont remember what Triadspell was supposed to boost, but it might have been Light of Wisdom to boost Turning

Norin
2013-08-09, 07:11 AM
Oh, on the subject of incorporeal undeads again:

I had some good times on my Druid using Spiritjaws to damage and grapple ghosts and such. It's kind of funny to grapple things that hardly ever gets grappled, but normaly just pass through things. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Wait... does that even work? :smallconfused:

Qc Storm
2013-08-09, 02:36 PM
Thank you for your help people. Though you are a bit generous on the level 4 spells. I only have one slot! (Currently taken by Orb of Fire, but I don't think the secondary effect works on undead).

However, when I meant spells against undead, I really only meant "spells that kinda work against undead". They don't have to be undead hate spells, just things that happen to work against them.

Things like Glitterdust for example. And since my DM enjoys beatsticks, Ray of the Python is, too.

Alex12
2013-08-09, 03:07 PM
I'm just gonna say that Hide from Undead can be really hilarious if you're going up against mindless undead. They don't even get a will save to not see you.
Also, assuming you're going up against zombies, Grease is useful. Zombies do not have ranks in Balance.

JaronK
2013-08-09, 03:17 PM
Lyre of the Restful Soul + Rod of Defiance will let your Turn Undead ability destroy many undead foes.

And when working around undead, make your own! Animate Dead is 2nd level on the spell list of that arcane caster from Dragon Compendium (Death Master, I think).

JaronK

Averis Vol
2013-08-09, 06:47 PM
I had passed over it as a rather meh spell at first glance, but chill touch has a secondary effect that forces a will save vs being panicked for 1d4 rds +1 per CL. I never knew this, but it makes the spell a much more attractive choice.

Qc Storm
2013-08-09, 07:04 PM
I had passed over it as a rather meh spell at first glance, but chill touch has a secondary effect that forces a will save vs being panicked for 1d4 rds +1 per CL. I never knew this, but it makes the spell a much more attractive choice.

Wow, that is indeed an interesting effect, at any level even.

As a Chameleon, I don't really fear getting close and personal.