PDA

View Full Version : what was that trick to get intelligent oozes that a player could play?

CyberThread
2013-08-09, 03:34 AM
I have seen it toss around this week, but what was the trick to making an ooze intelligent and some sort of template that even gave it a level adjustment?

Zombimode
2013-08-09, 04:34 AM
Sentry Ooze from Dungeonscape will cover the Int part.

A creature with LA - can not gain an LA however, so playing an Ooze will inevitable rely on the DM to make it happen.

Gemini476
2013-08-09, 05:35 AM
Skitterhaunt makes a vermin into an ooze.
Hairy Spider from one of the FR books got errata'd to LA+0.
You still need something that pushes INT to 3, though! Maybe chexck if you can pay for Awaken Ooze or something. Or find a template that boosts int that can be applied after Senrtry Ooze.

Alex12
2013-08-09, 08:05 AM
Fiendish template on a gelatinous cube allows class levels, per WotC.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060922a

Palanan
2013-08-09, 08:17 AM
This might be a longer route than you were looking for, but there's the Oozemaster, a PrC from Masters of the Wild which, as a capstone, changes your type to ooze, and grants all sorts of other oozy benefits along the way.

Darrin
2013-08-09, 08:33 AM
Sentry Ooze from Dungeonscape will cover the Int part.

Only to Int 2. You need something to push it up to Int 3 or better. Fiendish works, but comes with some heavy LA. Pseudonatural also works, but is "divide by cucumber" as far as LA goes. After that, Half-Dragon is probably easiest (Int +4). Phrenic (Int +2) and Spell-Warped (Int +4) may work after that, but be careful about Type changes.

Some oozes are already intelligent: this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10529104&postcount=4) lists them.

Maybe chexck if you can pay for Awaken Ooze or something.

Awaken ooze was printed in Dragon Magazine #304. I don't think it's been printed anywhere else.

I think the closest we have to a playable race is Ghaunadan in Monsters of Faerun, but it's an aberration (shapeshifter), not an ooze, with 5 racial HD and LA +6.

Snowbluff
2013-08-09, 08:40 AM
Fiendish template on a gelatinous cube allows class levels, per WotC.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060922a
The real question with this creature is where it could learn any monk skills. "Ooze monasteries aren't exactly plentiful, after all. It must have studied on its own, just like Miyamoto Musashi did."

:smalltongue:

Alex12
2013-08-09, 09:08 AM
The real question with this creature is where it could learn any monk skills. "Ooze monasteries aren't exactly plentiful, after all. It must have studied on its own, just like Miyamoto Musashi did."

:smalltongue:

Who says it has to be an ooze monastary? Maybe the monastary is just really racially inclusive.

Or, well, hanging around in a 10x10 room all day leaves a fiendish gelatinous cube plenty of time to develop its own style of quietly comtemplative martial arts.

Crazysaneman
2013-08-09, 09:13 AM
"This cube's acid does not harm metal or stone."

Could you count being inside an ooze as being on a mount?
If so, I have this idea for my group of putting a android (PF) cavalier inside an ooze with monk levels XD. That would raise some eyebrows...

Darrin
2013-08-09, 09:41 AM
Could you count being inside an ooze as being on a mount?

Yes.

Amulet of Ooze Riding. A&EG p. 85.