PDA

View Full Version : [PH] Magus + Kirin Strike

Certified
2013-08-09, 07:10 AM
What I'm currently picturing is a falchion wielding Magus that combines Spell Strike with Kirin Strike. The build would rely on high Strength, for Power Attack Feats, and High Intelligence, for casting, and damage bonus. Part of me wants to say that the Kensai archetype is the way to go since they get add several more bonuses for high Intelligence.

Is this all crazy talk?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-09, 07:38 AM
Magus and 2hw don't mix at all, you need a hand free for spell combat, you could switch to a scimitar and get the huge crit range + power attack (you can wield a 1 handed weapon with two hands).

I am not familiar with Kirin strike, but it sounds like a style feat and an end chain for that matter; it may be worth it in the long run, but if you start at low levels you will most likely suffer a bit.

Elricaltovilla
2013-08-09, 07:48 AM
Kirin strike is something like a toned down Knowledge Devotion. You need to have your knowledge skills maxed to make it work, it ONLY works on your first attack in a full attack or spell combat, costs a swift action to use and you need 4 feats in total to make it work.

Take note people: style feats are for fighters and monks only. All others stay away.

Certified
2013-08-09, 10:28 AM
To clarify a few points:

Kirin Strike follows Kirin Style, which requires Improved Unarmed Attack. It allows you to spend a Swift Action to gain double your Int bonus to an attack. This should be the first attack if you have iterative attacks.

The Character must make an appropriate Knowledge Check based on the creature type to get this bonus. To cover your bases you need Arcana, Dungeoneering, Local, Nature, Planes, and Religion. Arcana, Dungeoneering, and Planes being Class Skills.

Casting with a Two Handed Weapon. I want to say there was some back and forth over this one, if I remember correctly, the caster simply holds the weapon in one hand while casting.

Hruken
2013-08-09, 11:08 AM
Spellstrike is fine with a two handed weapon, but spell combat specifically does not work with a two hander. While it still works, it kinda screws over a major part of your character and kills your action economy.

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-08-09, 11:16 AM
Generally speaking, the Magus is just too feat-starved to be able to take Kirin Strike. If you go Kensai and completely forget about casting, you might be able to get it around 10th level, but you generally need other feats more.

Certified
2013-08-09, 11:23 AM
Generally speaking, the Magus is just too feat-starved to be able to take Kirin Strike. If you go Kensai and completely forget about casting, you might be able to get it around 10th level, but you generally need other feats more.

Do you think a level or 2 level dip into fighter would be bad?

Blyte
2013-08-10, 02:15 AM
Kirin strike might be a decent option for a fighter(lore warden), or a wonky build centered around the use of "named bullet", turning it into x8int bonus from the critical.

I agree that the swift action, and 3 feats seem to be a bit much for a reasonably optimal magus to accomplish, but I haven't attempted to plan one out with it. If you do plan out a magus with a dip into lore warden or unarmed fighter, remember to take the trait that gives you +2 CL to a class, so long as it doesnt exceed character level. Sorry the name slips my mind.

Certified
2013-08-10, 11:19 AM
Alright, so here's kind of a proof of concept build.

Page 1 (http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3717/9477802221_efdfbbb04e_b.jpg)

Page 2 (http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5473/9480588806_772b6da531_b.jpg)

Page 3 (http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2846/9477804657_bf7854b30a_b.jpg)

Note: Th generator I used to create the character did not sem to have a way to list damage for Power Attack, or Kirin Style on the weapon. So Without an added spell a Power Attack should be +18/+10, 2d4 + 36.