PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get bonus feats outside of levelling (and magic items)

Crake
2013-08-09, 07:32 AM
So I was thinking (from a DM point of view) if I had an NPC with lots of time and money, but a limited number of levels available to them (so no powerlevelling), what ways could they go about getting bonus feats to fuel something like Embrace/Shun the Dark Chaos?

The first thing that came to mind is finding a legacy item and repeatedly doing the first ritual then embracing/shunning to lose the feat and thus qualify for the first ritual again.

Are there any other kinds of rituals/ceremonies/something that grant a character with a bonus feat? They don't have to be repeatable (in fact I'd prefer they weren't simply to not tempt me to use it as an excuse to give every feat this character could ever want to them)

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-09, 07:41 AM
Look for true_shinken's True Dilletante build at the wizard forum, it holds the record for the highest amount of feats in the game and while you may not go all the way down; you can probably get some ideas from there.

eggynack
2013-08-09, 07:43 AM
I believe that the legendary sites from Complete Scoundrel is what you seek. You do a quest thing of some kind, pay some amount of money, and you get a generally mediocre feat that's largely useful for shun/embrace and prerequisites. I don't particularly recall any of them being great on their own, though I may be mistaken.

Norin
2013-08-09, 07:45 AM
Look up the rather nasty Otyugh hole from Complete Scoundrel. It's nasty, but it's a "free" feat there.

Edit: Yeah, swordsaged. :smalleek:

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-09, 07:46 AM
Look up the rather nasty Otyugh hole from Complete Scoundrel. It's nasty, but it's a "free" feat there.

Actually it costs 3000 GP and two weeks.

Crake
2013-08-09, 08:04 AM
Actually it costs 3000 GP and two weeks.

looking at the way it works, it doesn't so much cost 3000gp but is worth about 3000gp if the DM wanted to give it away as "treasure"

Darrin
2013-08-09, 08:41 AM
Worshipping an Elder Evil can also get you up to 5 [Vile] feats.

Karnith
2013-08-09, 08:51 AM
Faustian Pacts can offer feats (among many other things) in exchange for selling your soul to a devil. A typical Pact Certain can get you one feat, and a Pact Insidious can get two.

DementedFellow
2013-08-09, 08:54 AM
Look for true_shinken's True Dilletante build at the wizard forum.

I did that out of curiosity and I learned that you can retrain your race apparently. My mind is still boggling.

Crake
2013-08-09, 09:12 AM
I did that out of curiosity and I learned that you can retrain your race apparently. My mind is still boggling.

iirc you can rebuild your race, not retrain. It requires going on a rebuild quest though

DementedFellow
2013-08-09, 09:14 AM
iirc you can rebuild your race, not retrain. It requires going on a rebuild quest though

The build explanation says retrain. Still. I have so many questions I don't even know where to start.