PDA

View Full Version : Optimize the Binding spell, How to?

unseenmage
2013-08-09, 04:56 PM
Binding was to be my go-to answer to a lethal encounter.
At first I thought I could put it into an Energy Transformation Field (MoF) but that pesky xp component but a stop to that.

Now I'm thinking about how to get Binding on arrows/bolts/bullets. That or having a construct or Intelligent Magic Item that can use Binding a number of times per day.

How would the Playground get the most bang for their buck out of Binding?
Via either spamming the spell or making absolutely sure it hit its target?

Edit: All Circle Magic is a no-go, but only because of plot, not because of cheese.

Edit again: Yeah, I'm trying to find uses for Binding for combat/mass combat.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-08-09, 05:09 PM
Circle Magic. Increase your CL to 40 to overcome SR and hopefully avoid a saving throw while also making it very hard to dispel.
If your target has more HD than half your CL you can heighten the spell to level 20 for a +12 to the DC.

unseenmage
2013-08-09, 05:39 PM
Circle Magic. Increase your CL to 40 to overcome SR and hopefully avoid a saving throw while also making it very hard to dispel.
If your target has more HD than half your CL you can heighten the spell to level 20 for a +12 to the DC.

Sorry but Circle Magic is a no-go for the character this would be useful for. In fact, the Red Wizards are one of the enemies I'm facing with this.

Facing Army of Drow and/or Red Wizards, Elemental Monolith(s?), and Elemental Titan, and an epic Manifester/Spellcaster Abolehth.

Of the save-or-die spells I might potentially be able to spam at these enemies Binding seemed like a good option. I'm particularly partial to the bottled enemy option too; it's just got so much wow factor.

Mostly I'm looking for ways to get the spell past their SR, hit some of those ridiculous HDs, and boost the save DC.

Circle Magic was my first go-to to solve the problem as well but it's just not an option in this campaign. :smallfrown: Sorry I didn't make that clear at the onset.

Karnith
2013-08-09, 05:58 PM
Sorry but Circle Magic is a no-go for the character this would be useful for. In fact, the Red Wizards are one of the enemies I'm facing with this.
You can access circle magic through the Halruaan Elder or Hathran prestige classes, too. Those organizations also have fairly heavy fluff attachments in the Realms, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are also inappropriate for your game/character, but they are options.

Also, I'm a little unclear on the situation; are you trying to use Binding on some enemies that you have restrained, or are you trying to make it combat-effective?

unseenmage
2013-08-09, 08:03 PM
You can access circle magic through the Halruaan Elder or Hathran prestige classes, too. Those organizations also have fairly heavy fluff attachments in the Realms, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are also inappropriate for your game/character, but they are options.

Also, I'm a little unclear on the situation; are you trying to use Binding on some enemies that you have restrained, or are you trying to make it combat-effective?

Yeah, all the Circle Magic is off limits, at least for now.
And yes, you guess correctly that I'm trying to use Binding as a combat, mass combat even, option.

Karnith
2013-08-09, 08:14 PM
And yes, you guess correctly that I'm trying to use Binding as a combat, mass combat even, option.
Yeah, that sounds pretty difficult, especially given that you need to get around that thorny casting time, too.

But True Casting (Complete Mage) and Assay Spell Resistance (Spell Compendium) can help you breach enemies' SR, and debuffs can make enemies unlikely to make their saves.

Consumptive Field and Greater Consumptive Field (Spell Compendium) are pretty impressive CL-boosters, but they are evil and require killing creatures. They're also cleric-only.

Chain Spell can help you hit a bunch of creatures with one casting of Binding, though it'd normally require level 11 spell slots and has a very limited range (both because it's a close range spell and because of Chain spell's restrictions). A Greater Metamagic Rod of Chaining helps with the first problem, but I'm not really sure how to effectively deal with the second.

Vaz
2013-08-09, 08:21 PM
Dweomerkeeper to make it an Su, not sure if you can Ability Focus it? Greater Consumptive Field can generate a stupidly high Caster Level (and even more so if you read that CL=CL+1 for infinite CL) while Archmage allows it to be an SLA (costing XP).