PDA

View Full Version : Too many shields

Dmaster4444
2013-08-09, 05:40 PM
Hello everyone, I am trying to come up with ideas for a build I am working on. It's basically a fighter that dual wields shields. Any ideas that will help him abuse those shields would be much appreciated.

dascarletm
2013-08-09, 05:58 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293252) you (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213995) go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286574).

Darrin
2013-08-09, 06:01 PM
Normally, you can't get two different shield bonuses to stack. However, there are two work-arounds:

1) Make one shield out of riverine (+4000 GP, Stormwrack), and half of the shield's enhancement bonus counts as a deflection bonus, which will stack with a shield bonus.

2) Inlindl School [Style] feat (Drow of the Underdark). At the start of your turn, you can sacrifice your shield bonus to get 1/2 of the bonus as an attack bonus for light weapons.

(They don't exactly work together.)

Agile Shield Fighter (PHBII) can help a bit if you want to TWF with primary/offhand shield bashes, but it's pretty feat intensive.

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-09, 07:38 PM
darrin, you forgot ironbound.

Darrin
2013-08-09, 07:53 PM
darrin, you forgot ironbound.

Are you referring to the dandwiki PrC? If so, I've never heard of it before. Looks like homebrew... with medium BAB? Ugh, apparently really bad homebrew.

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-09, 08:13 PM
I'm talking about the PrC in hammer in helm (p32). It isn't a great PrC but it gives what is desired.

thefirecrack3r
2013-08-11, 03:01 AM
Hypothetical here.
So answer these questions as you go and see if you follow my line of thought.
A) You can shield bash with 2 shields but they both technically count as offhanded attacks.
B) Improved/greater two weapon fighting grant additional offhand attacks.
C) Can you abuse this to grant yourself 2 shield bashes with each shield, thus getting 4 offhand attacks? or with greater TWF get 6 attacks?
Also, do these stack with additional attacks granted by BAB? Giving a 6th level fighter with improved TWF, 4 attacks at +6BAB and 4 attacks at +1BAB? Thus 8 possible attacks? Or am I stupid and overlooking something?

geekintheground
2013-08-11, 03:09 AM
Hypothetical here.
A) You can shield bash with 2 shields but they both technically count as offhanded attacks.
C) Can you abuse this to grant yourself 2 shield bashes with each shield, thus getting 4 offhand attacks? or with greater TWF get 6 attacks?
Also, do these stack with additional attacks granted by BAB? Giving a 6th level fighter with improved TWF, 4 attacks at +6BAB and 4 attacks at +1BAB? Thus 8 possible attacks? Or am I stupid and overlooking something?

pretty sure you get extra attacks from BAB when using an off hand weapon... could be wrong though

Darrin
2013-08-11, 07:22 AM
Hypothetical here.

The wording on shield bashes is ambiguous: "You can bash an opponent with a light/heavy shield, using it as an off-hand weapon." Usage of the word "can" implies a conditional choice made by the user, but it's not clear if the *only* way you can shield bash. In any case, I've never seen any DM claim that you can't bash as a primary attack, and there are some examples of magical shields designed for that very purpose.

If you're going to use the TWF rules to get offhand attacks, you still need a primary weapon. If you want an additional set of offhand attacks, then you need more than two arms + Multiweapon Fighting.

Needs moar Thri-Kreen or Diopsid. (Prehensile Tail could work, too.)

I think this will work with Multiweapon Fighting. Consider the Tako from Oriental Adventures: 7 attacks, 6 offhand weapons, and Multiweapon Fighting. With TWF/ITWF/GTWF, you could get 18 offhand attacks.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-08-11, 09:11 AM
I like the Wall of Steel teamwork benefit to use one shield for yourself and the other to protect an adjacent ally.

Shield Block/Counter maneuvers from ToB are also good and the AC bonus would actually stack w/ Wall of Steel.

Also, be sure to get Shield Ward or Parrying Shield, so any AC bonuses from your shield apply to touch AC, too.

Then grab a lesser crystal of arrow deflection from MIC and your shields are +5 AC vs. ranged attacks. Thanks to the above, that includes ranged touch spells and such. Both for you and the guy you're body guarding. For even more hilarity, add the Spell Reflection variant (replaces Evasion) from C.Mage...