PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5 Base Class] The Mystic Knight (PEACH)

LucarinZer0
2013-08-09, 07:18 PM
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to making homebrew, so I thought I'd post my Homebrew Class here. I don't have fluff, but that's the one thing I'm working on.

The Mystic Knight

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Mystic Knight's have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Charisma is the most important ability for a Mystic Knight, as it is used for their thrown energy ability. Strength and Constitution are also quite important, as they help the Mystic Knight stay alive in combat.
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d8
Starting Age: As Paladin.
Starting Gold: 4d4 x 10

Class Skills
The Mystic Knight's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are...
Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|One's Own Energy, Mystic Sword, Weapon Focus (Mystic Sword)

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Thrown Energy

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Weapon Enhancement +1, Energy Resistance

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Energy Blade

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+5|

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+5|Broken Boundaries

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+6|Weapon Enhancement +2

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Quick Shift 1/day

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Improved Energy Blade

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+7|

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+8|Weapon Enhancement +3, Greater Thrown Energy

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+8|

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+9|True Broken Boundaries

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+9|

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+10|Weapon Enhancement +4, Energy Immunity

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Quick Shift 2/day

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Greater Energy Blade, Weapon Enhancement +5[/table]

Class Features
The following are Class Features of the Mystic Knight

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Mystic Knight is proficient with all simple and martial weapons. They are also proficient with light and medium armor.

One's Own Energy: at 1st level a Mystic Knight comes to realize that he has an energy type to symbolize his own moral status, if he is of a Lawful alignment, his energy type is Electric, if he is of a Neutral alignment, his energy type is Cold, if he is of a Chaotic alignment, his energy type is Fire. If the Mystic Knight is of multiple of these alignments he must choose between the the two energy types. This will determine the effects of later abilities. This energy does not change from alignment shift.

Mystic Sword (Su): at 1st level a Mystic Knight chooses what blade he wishes to use alongside his energy powers, this weapon may be any weapon that could be considered a sword (i.e., Longsword, Bastard Sword, Falchion, or Scimitar. At DM's discretion.) This weapon is counted as martial for the purposes of weapon proficiency. The Mystic Knight creates this weapon as part of a ceremony upon completing their training. This weapon is always treated as a Masterwork weapon. If the sword breaks, you may re-create it at the expense of any materials needed and two days of work, requiring a DC 15 Craft (Weaponsmithing) check.
At 3rd level and every four levels thereafter, a Mystic Knight gains a cumulative bonus +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls.

Weapon Focus (Mystic Sword): A Mystic Knight gains the weapon focus feat with the weapon type that he uses as his Mystic Sword.

Thrown Energy (Su): A Mystic Knight learns how to harness their energy to produce an orb of it and throw it as a weapon At-will. This orb of energy has a range of 30 ft., does (1d8 per two Mystic Knight levels) + Charisma modifier damage to the target and requires a ranged touch attack. Conjuring this orb is a swift action. Metamagic feats may be applied to this while conjuring the orb, though each Metamagic feat may only be applied once per day, and as this does not take up a spell slot, does not take a higher Spell Slot.

Weapon Enhancement (Su): At 4th level, a Mystic Knight gains the ability to enhance his Mystic Sword. He can add any one of the weapon special abilities that has an enhancement bonus value of +1.
At every four levels beyond 4th (8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th), the value of the enhancement a Mystic Knight can add to his weapon improves to +2, +3, +4, and +5 respectively. A Mystic Knight can choose any combination of weapon special abilities that does not exceed the total allowed by the Mystic Knight’s level. For example, an 16th-level Mystic Knight could add two +2 weapon special abilities, or one +1 weapon ability and one +3 weapon ability.
The weapon ability or abilities remain the same every time the Mystic Knight uses his Mystic Sword (unless he decides to reassign its abilities; see below).
The Mystic Sword's special abilities may be switched if the Mystic Knight takes eight hours of concentration and 250 gp worth of special materials.

Energy Resistance (Su): at 4th level, the Mystic Knight knows exactly how to resist his own energy type, the mystic knight gains Energy Resistance of his own energy type equal to his (mystic knight level + 1).

Energy Blade (Su): at 5th level, the Mystic Knight's Mystic Sword is treated as having a special ability based on their One's Own Energy ability. If his energy type is cold, his sword is treated as having the frost special ability, if his energy type is fire, his sword is treated as flaming, if his energy type is lightning, it is treated as if it has the shock special ability. This does not alter the original enhancement bonuses the sword gets, this is a class ability, not an enhancement to the weapon, the effects of this ability stack with any of the special abilities that the weapon has.

Broken Boundaries: at 7th level, any energy damage(of his own energy type) that the Mystic Knight deals bypasses energy resistance, and immunity causes the Mystic Knights energy type to do half damage.

Quick Shift: at 9th level the Mystic Knight may, once per day, change the special abilities of his mystic sword as a full-round action. After this ability has been used, the Mystic Sword gains a -1 penalty to it's enhancement bonus. At 18th level the mystic knight may use it one again each day, it's penalties stack.

Improved Energy Blade (Sp): at 10th level, the Mystic Knight's Mystic Sword is treated as if they had the equivalent Burst special ability to the original Energy Blade ability. The Energy Blade ability no longer takes effect.

Greater Thrown Energy: at 12th level thrown energy now does 1d4 per Mystic Knight level + (2 x Cha mod) damage of it's own energy type.

True Broken Boundaries (Su): at 14th level the Mystic Knight's Energy Damage of all types can bypass energy resistance, and his own energy type bypasses energy immunity.

Energy Immunity(Su): at 16th level the Mystic Knight gains total immunity from his own energy type. Metamagic Feats such as Searing Spell, when applied to spells, deal one quarter of the base damage instead of the normal half.

Greater Energy Blade (Sp): at 20th level, the Energy Blade ability takes place simultaneously with the Improved Energy Blade Ability.

I hope that you like it and if you have any constructive criticism, please tell me so that I can fix it up.

UPDATE:
08/10/2013

Mystic Sword now gains +1 at 3rd and every fourth after.
Thrown Energy is now At-Will
Energy Resistance and Energy Immunity Added
Added Broken Boundaries and True Broken Boundaries

08/11/2013

Improved the abilities of Thrown Energy
Added Greater Thrown Energy
Added Quick Shift
Added UPDATE section

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-10, 11:52 AM
Welcome! This looks like it's based on the Soulknife, yes? Let's see...

I don't see any reason for alignment-based energy types. Why not just pick one of the four common elements? (Fire, Cold, Electric, Acid)
Thrown Energy should be usable much more often-- I'd argue for at-will, given the low range, damage, and lack of rider effects.
I'd stagger the progressions of the enhancement bonuses and Weapon Enhancements-- one at every third level, and one at every forth.
Energy Blade might look better at third level.
No energy resistance? This guy seems to be crying out for resistances, building up to immunity to his chosen energy type.
How about some Eldrich Essence/Blast Shape type modifiers to your Thrown Energy ability? At the very least, perhaps steal the rider effect from the relevant Orb of _____ spell.

There's a minor issue in having so many abilities tied to one energy type-- namely, whenever you run into someone with a resistance or immunity, you're in deep trouble. To compensate, how 'bout giving a Searing Spell type effect at, oh, 7th level, and the ability to completely ignore immunities at 14th?

The larger issue is versatility. You've got social skills and UMD, and Charisma isn't a total dump stat, so you're not Fighter bad, but you're still stuck in "I hit it with my sword. I hit it with my sword" terrain. I have a few suggestions for how to improve that:

Allow him to change his Weapon Enhancement more quickly-- perhaps starting at full-round and progressing down to a swift action. Maybe also restrict the list, so you can't have always-relevant Bane effects, but there are plenty of nice enhancement options out there.
Give him partial casting? Paladin or Ranger spell progression (with fixed caster level-- level-3 works WAY better than 1/2 level), or even Bard, would go a long way. You can have different lists for different elemental focuses-- the Shugenja has an elementally-segmented list, if you want to use that as a starting point.
Warlock-style Invocations, would be another great way to add some variety and options.

Don't take that the wrong way, though-- as-is, this is a perfectly solid Tier 4 class, and a fine first effort.

EDIT: Oh, and can I recommend the name "Elemental knight?"

LucarinZer0
2013-08-10, 02:25 PM
Welcome! This looks like it's based on the Soulknife, yes? Let's see...

I don't see any reason for alignment-based energy types. Why not just pick one of the four common elements? (Fire, Cold, Electric, Acid)
Thrown Energy should be usable much more often-- I'd argue for at-will, given the low range, damage, and lack of rider effects.
I'd stagger the progressions of the enhancement bonuses and Weapon Enhancements-- one at every third level, and one at every forth.
Energy Blade might look better at third level.
No energy resistance? This guy seems to be crying out for resistances, building up to immunity to his chosen energy type.
How about some Eldrich Essence/Blast Shape type modifiers to your Thrown Energy ability? At the very least, perhaps steal the rider effect from the relevant Orb of _____ spell.

There's a minor issue in having so many abilities tied to one energy type-- namely, whenever you run into someone with a resistance or immunity, you're in deep trouble. To compensate, how 'bout giving a Searing Spell type effect at, oh, 7th level, and the ability to completely ignore immunities at 14th?

The larger issue is versatility. You've got social skills and UMD, and Charisma isn't a total dump stat, so you're not Fighter bad, but you're still stuck in "I hit it with my sword. I hit it with my sword" terrain. I have a few suggestions for how to improve that:

Allow him to change his Weapon Enhancement more quickly-- perhaps starting at full-round and progressing down to a swift action. Maybe also restrict the list, so you can't have always-relevant Bane effects, but there are plenty of nice enhancement options out there.
Give him partial casting? Paladin or Ranger spell progression (with fixed caster level-- level-3 works WAY better than 1/2 level), or even Bard, would go a long way. You can have different lists for different elemental focuses-- the Shugenja has an elementally-segmented list, if you want to use that as a starting point.
Warlock-style Invocations, would be another great way to add some variety and options.

Don't take that the wrong way, though-- as-is, this is a perfectly solid Tier 4 class, and a fine first effort.

EDIT: Oh, and can I recommend the name "Elemental knight?"

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice, yes this was quite clearly based on the soulknife, It's one of my favorite Psionic classes.

I don't know why, but the alignment-based energy is something that just feels right to me.

I quite agree with your opinion on thrown energy, it seems to be quite weak, thus an at-will ability.

I quite agree on the progressions of the Weapon Enhancement and the Energy Blade.

See Above.

I knew this class was missing something, thank you!

I think I could create a few new class abilities, to suit that need.

I think the versatility issue is that the lack of spellcasting leads to it, I might give him the 1-4 Spellcasting progression. I'm not sure what spells to give him though, could I get some help?

The reason for not having an easy switch on the enhancements, is so that the Mystic Knight does not have the enhancement that is amazingly convenient for the situation. Though I may add a Quick Shift ability every few levels.

EDIT: Another note on the name, is that the term Mystic Knight comes from Final Fantasy V

LucarinZer0
2013-08-13, 02:13 PM
I'm gonna Bump this, because I want some more feedback.

VallWoodshadow
2014-06-20, 05:49 PM
I'm gonna Bump this, because I want some more feedback.

Ive been looking for something like this for awhile. Could you maybe clean up the table however? Just edit { to [ infront of table at the top.

VallWoodshadow
2014-06-20, 05:50 PM
The Mystic Knight

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Mystic Knight's have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Charisma is the most important ability for a Mystic Knight, as it is used for their thrown energy ability. Strength and Constitution are also quite important, as they help the Mystic Knight stay alive in combat.
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d8
Starting Age: As Paladin.
Starting Gold: 4d4 x 10

Class Skills
The Mystic Knight's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are...
Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|One's Own Energy, Mystic Sword, Weapon Focus (Mystic Sword)

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Thrown Energy

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Weapon Enhancement +1, Energy Resistance

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Energy Blade

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+5|

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+5|Broken Boundaries

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+6|Weapon Enhancement +2

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Quick Shift 1/day

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Improved Energy Blade

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+7|

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+8|Weapon Enhancement +3, Greater Thrown Energy

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+8|

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+9|True Broken Boundaries

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+9|

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+10|Weapon Enhancement +4, Energy Immunity

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Quick Shift 2/day

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Greater Energy Blade, Weapon Enhancement +5

Class Features
The following are Class Features of the Mystic Knight

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Mystic Knight is proficient with all simple and martial weapons. They are also proficient with light and medium armor.

One's Own Energy: at 1st level a Mystic Knight comes to realize that he has an energy type to symbolize his own moral status, if he is of a Lawful alignment, his energy type is Electric, if he is of a Neutral alignment, his energy type is Cold, if he is of a Chaotic alignment, his energy type is Fire. If the Mystic Knight is of multiple of these alignments he must choose between the the two energy types. This will determine the effects of later abilities. This energy does not change from alignment shift.

Mystic Sword (Su): at 1st level a Mystic Knight chooses what blade he wishes to use alongside his energy powers, this weapon may be any weapon that could be considered a sword (i.e., Longsword, Bastard Sword, Falchion, or Scimitar. At DM's discretion.) This weapon is counted as martial for the purposes of weapon proficiency. The Mystic Knight creates this weapon as part of a ceremony upon completing their training. This weapon is always treated as a Masterwork weapon. If the sword breaks, you may re-create it at the expense of any materials needed and two days of work, requiring a DC 15 Craft (Weaponsmithing) check.
At 3rd level and every four levels thereafter, a Mystic Knight gains a cumulative bonus +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls.

Weapon Focus (Mystic Sword): A Mystic Knight gains the weapon focus feat with the weapon type that he uses as his Mystic Sword.

Thrown Energy (Su): A Mystic Knight learns how to harness their energy to produce an orb of it and throw it as a weapon At-will. This orb of energy has a range of 30 ft., does (1d8 per two Mystic Knight levels) + Charisma modifier damage to the target and requires a ranged touch attack. Conjuring this orb is a swift action. Metamagic feats may be applied to this while conjuring the orb, though each Metamagic feat may only be applied once per day, and as this does not take up a spell slot, does not take a higher Spell Slot.

Weapon Enhancement (Su): At 4th level, a Mystic Knight gains the ability to enhance his Mystic Sword. He can add any one of the weapon special abilities that has an enhancement bonus value of +1.
At every four levels beyond 4th (8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th), the value of the enhancement a Mystic Knight can add to his weapon improves to +2, +3, +4, and +5 respectively. A Mystic Knight can choose any combination of weapon special abilities that does not exceed the total allowed by the Mystic Knight’s level. For example, an 16th-level Mystic Knight could add two +2 weapon special abilities, or one +1 weapon ability and one +3 weapon ability.
The weapon ability or abilities remain the same every time the Mystic Knight uses his Mystic Sword (unless he decides to reassign its abilities; see below).
The Mystic Sword's special abilities may be switched if the Mystic Knight takes eight hours of concentration and 250 gp worth of special materials.

Energy Resistance (Su): at 4th level, the Mystic Knight knows exactly how to resist his own energy type, the mystic knight gains Energy Resistance of his own energy type equal to his (mystic knight level + 1).

Energy Blade (Su): at 5th level, the Mystic Knight's Mystic Sword is treated as having a special ability based on their One's Own Energy ability. If his energy type is cold, his sword is treated as having the frost special ability, if his energy type is fire, his sword is treated as flaming, if his energy type is lightning, it is treated as if it has the shock special ability. This does not alter the original enhancement bonuses the sword gets, this is a class ability, not an enhancement to the weapon, the effects of this ability stack with any of the special abilities that the weapon has.

Broken Boundaries: at 7th level, any energy damage(of his own energy type) that the Mystic Knight deals bypasses energy resistance, and immunity causes the Mystic Knights energy type to do half damage.

Quick Shift: at 9th level the Mystic Knight may, once per day, change the special abilities of his mystic sword as a full-round action. After this ability has been used, the Mystic Sword gains a -1 penalty to it's enhancement bonus. At 18th level the mystic knight may use it one again each day, it's penalties stack.

Improved Energy Blade (Sp): at 10th level, the Mystic Knight's Mystic Sword is treated as if they had the equivalent Burst special ability to the original Energy Blade ability. The Energy Blade ability no longer takes effect.

Greater Thrown Energy: at 12th level thrown energy now does 1d4 per Mystic Knight level + (2 x Cha mod) damage of it's own energy type.

True Broken Boundaries (Su): at 14th level the Mystic Knight's Energy Damage of all types can bypass energy resistance, and his own energy type bypasses energy immunity.

Energy Immunity(Su): at 16th level the Mystic Knight gains total immunity from his own energy type. Metamagic Feats such as Searing Spell, when applied to spells, deal one quarter of the base damage instead of the normal half.

Greater Energy Blade (Sp): at 20th level, the Energy Blade ability takes place simultaneously with the Improved Energy Blade Ability.

I hope that you like it and if you have any constructive criticism, please tell me so that I can fix it up.

UPDATE:
08/10/2013

Mystic Sword now gains +1 at 3rd and every fourth after.
Thrown Energy is now At-Will
Energy Resistance and Energy Immunity Added
Added Broken Boundaries and True Broken Boundaries

08/11/2013

Improved the abilities of Thrown Energy
Added Greater Thrown Energy
Added Quick Shift
Added UPDATE section

Nevermind, that should fix it.