PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Resurrection-type Spells

Valvert
2013-08-09, 08:20 PM
Hey guys! I was just looking for a bit of advice on how to implement an idea into a campaign, and was wondering if anyone else had experience trying something similar.
In the world we're playing in, the Goddess of Death is simply Neutral, and her clerics are few and far in between. It was discussed that we make it so that only her clerics would be able to perform such resurrection-type spells, and that they would usually make you do a big favor for them (or the Goddess herself) if you wanted them to do something like that.
How has tweaking resurrection limitations and the like worked for people in the past? Is this a poor choice on our part?
Thanks!

Fates
2013-08-09, 08:24 PM
As long as resurrection magic is available in some form, I doubt you'll run into any problems; I personally try to limit it as much as possible, as doing so encourages players to act with something resembling caution, IE treating NPCs with an inch of respect, strategizing in combat, etc. Completely removing resurrection is riskier, as players get attached to their characters and some will react better than other upon losing them forever.

Waker
2013-08-09, 08:25 PM
When it comes to limiting certain powerful magic like Resurrection or Teleportation, I prefer using Ritual magic. By limiting access to the materials, time, place and other factors you can help give magic a more unique feel beyond "I prepare and cast the spell." Here are the rules.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm

Magma Armor0
2013-08-09, 08:34 PM
I have a DM who plays with the primary form of resurrection being a reincarnation spell with no level penalty. It's an interesting way to play, but it's really annoying when you drop in combat as a Male Half-orc and next thing you know, you're a Female Kobold. But it's a cheap, no-level-loss chance at life again, so I guess we shouldn't complain. :smallwink:

Valvert
2013-08-09, 08:38 PM
When it comes to limiting certain powerful magic like Resurrection or Teleportation, I prefer using Ritual magic. By limiting access to the materials, time, place and other factors you can help give magic a more unique feel beyond "I prepare and cast the spell." Here are the rules.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm

Ooh, thanks for the link! I'll definitely have to look into this - it's very different than the spellcasting I'm accustomed to in D&D, but very interesting and flavorful! And it would fit perfectly with the flow of the campaign.

navar100
2013-08-09, 08:51 PM
There are two questions you need to ask.

1) How PC lethal is your game.
2) Are your players ok with that lethality.

If a PC dies once a game session, lack or rarity of resurrection magic is a big deal. It can lead to players not caring about their characters or game world, and resurrections may have nothing even to do with that. Lack of game continuity can also be a problem for some players.

If a PC dies once in a blue moon then the sadness is part of the fun. There has to be that risk to have a game but that risk doesn't mean it has to happen. When a PC death is rare then the rarity of resurrection magic means something. The player has a more meaningful choice as to whether to end that character's story for good and start a new one or whether to take on the story of dealing with the Death goddess.

There is also a metagame satisfaction. Taking away resurrection magic affects players, and I mean players, even if they won't admit it. It's a very powerful power of DM control. If PC death is once in a blue moon then there is comfort the DM is not out to get them. The control is more about gameworld atmosphere than one of "Suck it, players. I'm the DM. I own your PCs' lives. Muwahaha!"

gorfnab
2013-08-09, 09:25 PM
But it's a cheap, no-level-loss chance at life again, so I guess we shouldn't complain. :smallwink:
Revenance + Revivify
Revenance + Pact of Return