PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Whisper Gnome

Dawnmor
2013-08-09, 11:49 PM
Well my DFA idea fell threw as I had no idea how to gear one, so I went to a fall back. A whisper gnome Ranger/Fighter/Deep wood sniper.

My build currently is...Ranger 3, Fighter, 2, Deepwood sniper 2 (Maybe cut to 1), Horizon Walker 7, Order of the bow Initiate (CW version) 6.

Flaws: Non combatant and Vulnerable (Dont plan on being in melee range)

Ranger 1: Point Blank Shot, Flaw (Darkstalker), Flaw (Feat?)
Ranger 2: Combat Spec (Archery, Rapid shot)
Fighter 1: Weapon Focus (Long Bow), Precise Shot
Fighter 2: Far Shot
Ranger 3:
DWS: Improved Initiative

The rest of the build is featless and a complete mix of Order of the Initiate Bow and Horizon Walker.

I went Horizon Walker for the 2 planar masteries (Tremor Sense and Dimension Door). This is a complete archery build and I went sniper and thought a Whisper gnome would be far better of a Force Recon type character than my other character ideas I had.

This guy will have moderately high Hide and MS, Max Spot and Listen. Primarily stays out of danger and soon once the funds are available will get Hanks Bow, Even if I gotta kill him.

Once I get Hanks Bow I will add splitting to it so I can do 4d6 damage instead of 2d6 and sense Hanks bow can pretty much harm everything in the game but I think a Force dragon I think im good.

Stats btw I get a +2 chaos bonus due to the emergence of planes smacking together and twisting about.

Str 16 - 2 (Racial)= 14
Dex 18 + 2 (Racial) +2 (Chaos) = 22
Con 18 + 2 (Racial) = 20
Int 16
Wis 17
Cha 16 - 2 (Racial) = 14

That is so far my stats.

Gear wise will be towards a bow of course, maybe mithril shirt or elven Armor? or maybe an armor that Gives as much dex as I want? I think there is an armor out of Races of Stone that is called, Twist armor? that does that?

Would that be good?

Edit: I took the first feat that I wasnt sure about and took Exotic Armor Proficiency and added Gnome twist Armor

Srasy
2013-08-10, 04:52 AM
Wouldn't a swift hunter with a level of frenzy berzerker be better and fill the same niche especially after getting a splitting longbow

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-08-10, 05:08 AM
Order of the Bow Initiate is worthless as printed. The extra damage requires a standard action to use, which means it cannot be combined with a full attack or anything else that takes a standard action such as (Greater) Manyshot.

Throw in two more Fighter levels (or four Warblade) for Weapon Specialization and Ranged Weapon Mastery (PH2). Don't forget about Woodland Archer in Races of the Wild.

Your build is seriously lacking in damage. I'd switch to a Scout 4/ Ranger 16 Swift Hunter with Greater Manyshot, and use magic items to do what all those other classes would have given you.

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-10, 05:12 AM
Order of the Bow Initiate is worthless as printed. The extra damage requires a standard action to use, which means it cannot be combined with a full attack or anything else that takes a standard action such as (Greater) Manyshot.

You could use it with the Scout's skirmish ability.

Talya
2013-08-10, 09:35 AM
You could use it with the Scout's skirmish ability.

That would just highlight even more how bad a choice Order of the Bow Initiate is, as skirmish makes multiple attacks even more important.

Dawnmor
2013-08-10, 11:51 AM
I actually considered doing Swift hunter but I didnt understand how skirmish worked so I stayed with something I semi understood.

gorfnab
2013-08-10, 12:11 PM
I actually considered doing Swift hunter but I didnt understand how skirmish worked so I stayed with something I semi understood.
What part of skirmish did you not understand?

Complete Scoundrel, page 25

Skirmish (Ex)
A scout relies on mobility to deal extra damage and improve her
defense. She deals an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks
she makes during any round in which she moves at least 10
feet. The extra damage applies only to attacks taken during the
scout’s turn. This extra damage increases by 1d6 for every four
levels gained above 1st (2d6 at 5th, 3d6 at 9th, 4d6 at 13th, and
5d6 at 17th level).
The extra damage applies only against living creatures that
have a discernible anatomy. Undead, constructs, oozes, plants,
incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to extra damage
from critical hits are not vulnerable to this additional damage.
The scout must be able to see the target well enough to pick out
a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. Scouts can
apply this extra damage to ranged attacks made while skirmishing,
but only if the target is within 30 feet.
At 3rd level, a scout gains a +1 competence bonus to Armor
Class during any round in which she moves at least 10 feet. The
bonus applies as soon as the scout has moved 10 feet and lasts
until the start of her next turn. This bonus improves by 1 for
every four levels gained above 3rd (+2 at 7th, +3 at 11th, +4 at
15th, and +5 at 19th level).
A scout loses this ability when wearing medium or heavy
armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load. If she gains
the skirmish ability from another class, the bonuses stack.
Scout Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872250/The_Scouts_Handbook)
Swift Hunter Handbook (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/09/swift-hunters-handbook.html)

Dawnmor
2013-08-10, 01:27 PM
Well I just found out my DM incurs XP penalties *grumbles* so a whisper gnome Scout/Ranger/Horizon Walker/DWS may not work as a whisper gnome. Grah damn him! :P.

That leaves, Human, Catfolk, Illumian, or just keep whisper gnome and drop Ranger, drop Swift hunter, keep with scout and raise that as high as possible to keep into account the two PRCs I would like to get into.

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-10, 02:55 PM
Well I just found out my DM incurs XP penalties *grumbles* so a whisper gnome Scout/Ranger/Horizon Walker/DWS may not work as a whisper gnome. Grah damn him! :P.

At no point does your character build as written incur any XP penalties. Prestige classes explicitly do not count for that.

Dawnmor
2013-08-10, 03:09 PM
I know that but as a Whisper gnome our prefered class is rogue, Ranger and Scout do not factor in.

and with a ranger 3 and scout 10 I would incur those penalties.