PDA

View Full Version : Durkon's breaking point [Future/SoD/OtOoPC spoilers]

Zerter
2013-08-10, 04:42 AM
Time for another edition of future spoiler!

I don't know what the arc of Durkon is going to be at this point, but I do know at what point his most critical moment will happen. When he tastes Dwarven beer again. We all know the biggest moment in the (un)life of Xykon was when as a lich he discovered he could not taste coffee again. Durkon has a similiar special relationship with Dwarven ale. Before being turned he could look forward to drinking it again: either in the afterlife or upon returning home. Now? Not so much. He probably does not realise this at this point, but Xykon has foreshadowed the one point in the book where Durkon will meet one of his two archenemies: character growth (the other one being trees).

Obscure Blade
2013-08-10, 04:50 AM
If Malack can make Bloodwart Tea, I figure Durkon can make Blood Beer.

Actually, I'd like to see that in a confrontation with Xykon.

:xykon: "Oooh, so you're a vampire! Name one way that a being vampire is better than being than a lich!"

:durkon: <smirks and takes out a tankard of Blood Beer, guzzles it noisily>

:durkon: "Mmmm, delicious!"

:xykon: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious:

Morquard
2013-08-10, 04:59 AM
I think the reason Xykon can't drink or taste coffee is cause he's a skeleton, you know?

No taste buds left. No stomach or anything else like that. It just flows through him.

Durkon still has all his parts.

Vinsfeld
2013-08-10, 08:52 AM
Assuming he's a vampire now, the trees are more deadly to him now (you know... stakes)

Scow2
2013-08-10, 09:01 AM
Durkon did not need Character Growth. Dwarves are short for a reason - they've done all the growing they need to, and any extra would just be a cancerous tumor on their perfection.

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-10, 12:53 PM
The only thing Durkon will enjoy the taste of is the blood of those who have consumed a lot of alcohol. The Dwarven Lands will be full of people who have consumed a lot of alcohol...

NerdyKris
2013-08-10, 01:14 PM
Time for another edition of future spoiler!

I don't know what the arc of Durkon is going to be at this point, but I do know at what point his most critical moment will happen. When he tastes Dwarven beer again. We all know the biggest moment in the (un)life of Xykon was when as a lich he discovered he could not taste coffee again. Durkon has a similiar special relationship with Dwarven ale. Before being turned he could look forward to drinking it again: either in the afterlife or upon returning home. Now? Not so much. He probably does not realise this at this point, but Xykon has foreshadowed the one point in the book where Durkon will meet one of his two archenemies: character growth (the other one being trees).

Xykon couldn't taste anything because he was a skeleton. No toungue. There's no indication that vampires have the same affliction, given that they enjoy blood, they have a toungue, Roy is shown tasting gouda in that "what if Roy was made into an undead" strip, and Malack enjoys tea.

ArlEammon
2013-08-10, 01:28 PM
The only thing Durkon will enjoy the taste of is the blood of those who have consumed a lot of alcohol. The Dwarven Lands will be full of people who have consumed a lot of alcohol...

Maybe Durkon can be the "Angel" of the setting. A good Vampire who turns from evil and only drinks blood of those who consent.

Katuko
2013-08-10, 02:22 PM
Maybe Durkon can be the "Angel" of the setting. A good Vampire who turns from evil and only drinks blood of those who consent.

I imagine he will try doing that, and maybe keep a Restoration spell on hand to help them afterwards too.

But then he returns home and tastes a dwarf, and gets addicted to beer-tainted blood. Dun-dun-duuuun!

Greatmoustache
2013-08-10, 03:29 PM
oh gods i hope not! hate angel, hate any stupid vampire "portraying" outside of classic, well accepted "vampire" vampires. vampires are evil. they burn in sunlight. they drink blood. stake to the heart=gg. "sensitivity" to crosses, garlics are optional. to holy water is not. do goody good vampire? that's against the rules. am i the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? mark it zero! :smallfurious:

ArlEammon
2013-08-10, 03:34 PM
oh gods i hope not! hate angel, hate any stupid vampire "portraying" outside of classic, well accepted "vampire" vampires. vampires are evil. they burn in sunlight. they drink blood. stake to the heart=gg. "sensitivity" to crosses, garlics are optional. to holy water is not. do goody good vampire? that's against the rules. am i the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? mark it zero! :smallfurious:

I don't know, I loved Forever Knight.

Otaku
2013-08-10, 03:43 PM

Actually, classic vampires are very different from modern ones, and about the only thing you said that has always applied, I believe, is the blood drinking.

F.Harr
2013-08-10, 03:48 PM

Yes, yes you are. :D

If Malack can make Bloodwart Tea, I figure Durkon can make Blood Beer.

Actually, I'd like to see that in a confrontation with Xykon.

:xykon: "Oooh, so you're a vampire! Name one way that a being vampire is better than being than a lich!"

:durkon: <smirks and takes out a tankard of Blood Beer, guzzles it noisily>

:durkon: "Mmmm, delicious!"

:xykon: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious:

Heh, heh, heh.

Richard J.
2013-08-10, 04:27 PM
How about a compromise? Watch Shiki (http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3DOLD5Y8b06y0) and you get classic rule vampires (plus a small number of werewolf-esque vampires who get to cheat) trying to establish a vampire settlement. Many people die, many people get turned, and between feeding to live and killing for fun or company, the vampires are pretty far from acting like Angel.

Basically vampires that could be nice if the chose to be but virtually none do. One of the very first characters turned goes from being a bit self-absorbed and obsessive to cheerfully murdering people for amusement and revenge for relatively minor slights.

Sorry for the shameless plug but your comment just made me think you'd enjoy the show. :smallbiggrin:

On topic: I love the idea of a beer incident for Durkon that mirrors the coffee scene. That would be a perfect moment to demonstrate just how personal the change would be for D. He's clearly not losing his cool over the alignment shifting or power change. Plus that scene was one of my very favorite moments ever in this comic. SoD rules so hard I want to see if animated.

The only thing that might hit D harder would probably be finding out his connection to Thor is gone. :smallfrown:

Greatmoustache
2013-08-11, 05:06 PM
to those who quoted me, thanks for the vamp media advices. also, i'm aware that vampire myths change from time to time, but well, there are certain rules. yes these rules are different sometimes, but they are all just common sense. mostly.

i really don't wanna go there (because i don't wanna be that guy who boasts of how much they hate SUPERMEGAOMGJESUS popular stuff) but i have to say this, buffy crap (which was not THAT bad, considering the crap it lead to) lead to angel crap lead to twilight crap (which i didn't see or read but just hate because no one could shut up about how much they hate it. justin bieber also falls into the same category. makes so much sense that the irony doesn't exist anymore.)

plus i like vampires (who doesn't?) i like the settings, i like world of darkness (never actually played it, wouldn't consider myself even an enthusiastic amateur on the sucject but i sure respect it goddamnit!) so i'm a little sensitive on the subject. so please no more "oh i have an idea, how about a tv show about a vampire chick who falls in love with a zombie dude? but this zombie is super intelligent, and has the best cover. he's a janitor at MIT, noone knows he's a zombie. also, the whole thing takes place in early 1700s. but with lasers. and a unicorn. those things are popular with teenagers nowadays." crap. please show biz, please.

i'm aware that i derail the topic with every single word, but i just had to get it out of my chest.

also, would love to see can't-enjoy-coffee-xykon vs bloodbeer-drinking-durkon. :smallamused:

Kish
2013-08-11, 07:25 PM
...If that post says anything other than, "I don't like most modern portrayals of vampires," I can't tell what, I'm afraid.

SavageWombat
2013-08-11, 09:53 PM
...If that post says anything other than, "I don't like most modern portrayals of vampires," I can't tell what, I'm afraid.

I don't like capitalization, perhaps?

Amphiox
2013-08-11, 10:28 PM
Assuming he's a vampire now, the trees are more deadly to him now (you know... stakes)

Point of order!

A wooden stake driven through the heart is just as deadly to a regular mortal humanoid as it is to a vampire.

NerdyKris
2013-08-11, 10:44 PM
Point of order!

A wooden stake driven through the heart is just as deadly to a regular mortal humanoid as it is to a vampire.

Giles: But it's not a vampire.

Buffy: You'd be surprised how many things that kills.

Obscure Blade
2013-08-11, 11:19 PM
The only thing that might hit D harder would probably be finding out his connection to Thor is gone. :smallfrown:It is gone I believe; as I recall the Giant has stated that Durkon is now a godless vampire cleric who draws his powers from negative energy. Which is how it typically works in situations like this I believe.

I suspect that this will be part of his character development; Durkon has a devout personality, he's going to want a new god that will accept him. My bet is on Hel; he can be her first and only cleric.

Bulldog Psion
2013-08-12, 02:57 AM
Since he's prophesied to bring Death and Destruction to the Dwarven lands, that sure sounds like he's going to go straight for the Nergal-worship to me.

DeliaP
2013-08-12, 06:21 AM
Since he's prophesied to bring Death and Destruction to the Dwarven lands, that sure sounds like he's going to go straight for the Nergal-worship to me.

The implications of adopting Malack's own god really really ought to end the alignment debate, at least?

Kish
2013-08-12, 06:33 AM
The implications of adopting Malack's own god really really ought to end the alignment debate, at least?
You're new here, aren't you?

FujinAkari
2013-08-12, 06:36 AM

Summoning a Devil and spontaneously casting Inflict spells didn't end it, so I don't know why worshiping Nergal would do it either... people have a startling capacity to ignore blatant truths :)

cheesecake
2013-08-12, 06:51 AM
Why can no one believe that Durkon may still be Durkon? He is a vampire now, yes he is evil, but Lawful Evil sounds about right. Evil people can still have friends, Evil people can still follow the laws, Evil people can still fight for a cause(be it good or bad)

Ok, so Durkon is a Vampire Cleric. That doesn't mean he can't still be friends with the order. He is going to be a lot more ruthless now, less likely to spare life.

The Durkon who sat on his pony awhile Miko beat up the order is gone.

Bulldog Psion
2013-08-12, 07:05 AM
Why can no one believe that Durkon may still be Durkon? He is a vampire now, yes he is evil, but Lawful Evil sounds about right. Evil people can still have friends, Evil people can still follow the laws, Evil people can still fight for a cause(be it good or bad)

Ok, so Durkon is a Vampire Cleric. That doesn't mean he can't still be friends with the order. He is going to be a lot more ruthless now, less likely to spare life.

The Durkon who sat on his pony awhile Miko beat up the order is gone.

That's about it. Durkon's still Durkon, just a lot harder, crueler, and colder.

Diadem
2013-08-12, 07:42 AM
Summoning a Devil and spontaneously casting Inflict spells didn't end it, so I don't know why worshiping Nergal would do it either... people have a startling capacity to ignore blatant truths :)
We have the Giant himself saying that spontaneously casting inflict spells is because of vampire, and not because of evil, but go ahead and believe that it's not you who is ignoring blatant truths.

No matter how much you'd want it, the alignment debate is not yet settled. And I'm pretty sure that is intentional by the Giant. I wouldn't be surprised if he left us hanging for quite a while longer on this particular issue.

Anyway, a god represents more than just an alignment. I see no reason for Durkon to suddenly worship another deity, let alone one so far removed from his character (which seems to have mostly survived the transition). Thor may not want him as a follower anymore, which could be an interesting story arc in itself, but that doesn't mean Durkon has to jump straight to the other extreme.

Kish
2013-08-12, 07:48 AM
but that doesn't mean Durkon has to jump straight to the other extreme.
Few people proposed Durkon becoming a cleric of Loki.

cheesecake
2013-08-12, 07:53 AM
Few people proposed Durkon becoming a cleric of Loki.

Now he can finally hook up with Helga, or Hilga, whatever the female dwarf was.

I agree that alignment isn't everything. Evil can still do good, but also, good can still do evil.

DeliaP
2013-08-12, 08:58 AM
You're new here, aren't you?

Oops, I forgot to add a smiley to my post....